[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - SCHOOL OF ROCK

SCHOOL OF ROCK

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

SCHOOL OF ROCK

Postby maikuu » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:53 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: SCHOOL OF ROCK

Postby deh » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:35 pm

The movie "School of Rock" has the main character, Dewey, an aficionado of Rock, he doesn't know [how] do anything else, just serve the Rock, and doesn’t have succeed in you [his] career. As he needs money, [he] ends up working as substitute teacher in an elementary school, forging be your friend Ned Schneebly.

During the classes, he notices the talents of the children with music and decides to "use" them to mount a band and win the festival. While [he] teaches music, [he] ends up creating affection for the children and they for him. His fraud is discovered, but the kids are so involved in the project, which end up skipping school to perform the show with Dewey. The show is a success; "School of Rock" doesn't win the prize, but is acclaimed by the public, parents and even the Principal Mullins. Dewey finally manages to throw in the arms of the public.

I fully agree that we must do what we really like; we have to take pleasure in our work. What good is having lots of money and be constantly unhappy.
Don't worry, be happy!! :D

Teacher's note: Exactly! This is a complete beginning-to-end summary of School of Rock told in not-too-many words. As I read this, I realized that my prompt may be asking to give away too much of the story, in particular, the ending. So I changed the word "summary" to "setup". As summaries go, it's not easy to write such a concise one, and this author has done a great job.

As for the conclusion, . . . Ditto! Too many people do not find their passion, or they are not allowed to follow it. In the case of Dewey and Ned, perhaps they are not good enough to compete. Thanks for writing the first post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :lol:
deh

Postby HarukaMaekawa » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:56 pm

Dewey got a job by telling a lie. One day, he heard that a plincipal of a school wanted his friend, Schneebly, to be a substitute teacher. He [Dewey] was in financial trouble at the time, so he pretended to be Schneebly and became a teacher of the elementary school.

In beginnings, he did not teach anything and just killed time in the class room. However, one day, he noticed the music talents of his students. He had been crazy for rock music, so [he] plotted to make a rock band by his students, and gave an adequate role to each his students.

He was lazy, rude, and crazy. Those characteristic[s] bothered many people. On the other hand, he really loves music. This love changed impossible things into possible things. His huge love for music made "School of Rock", and changed his students, their parents, and plincipal Mullins.

After watching this movie, I thought that we need sometimes such a reckless characteristic to cause a revolution. I love this movie, and really want to watch the rest of story earlier :lol:

Teacher's note: Thanks for a clear and concise summary with few GPS issues. This author also includes a hint of positive opinion about School of Rock (though I didn't quite understand the very last part of the comment. Great job!

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
HarukaMaekawa

Postby yuzu-shika » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:25 pm

In the movie "School Of Rock", a man Dewey, who is crazy about rock music, teaches children rock. Because he actually is not a teacher, he does not teach any academic things like math and science. But the children are gradually attracted by the strange teacher Dewey.

Each child has his/her different, own character, and the children start accepting those unique characters respectively, and start accepting even their complexities.
I felt these children's unique characters are the fascinating point. Every students has a pure heart and seems to absorb good things from Dewey, for example, not to care about their complexities and to [be] proud of themselves.

I love this movie's children♡really cute and fascinated. I also want to live like these children.

Teacher's note: Yes, the real secret of School of Rock's charm is the children or perhaps the relationship between the children and Dewey. To take it even further, I would note that Dewey is really a child in a man's body, a guy who refuses to grow up. I wonder if Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones are like this after rocking for fifty years? Thanks for a cool post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com

Here is a real School of Rock near my home. :mrgreen:
yuzu-shika

Postby Jason_Eom » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:37 am

In this Movie 'School of Rock' the lead character 'Dewey' is really crazy about Rock music. At the beginning, his band fired him because he is crazy in Rock, It means he is doing performance alone and he thinks that his band should do whatever he wants. So I think he is selfish. And then because he needs money for own band he gets a job which is teacher and it is originally his friend's job.

And in that school, he sees that children get a music class and he gives positions to children such as drummer, guitarist, and manager. And they practice everyday and even though every parents doesn't like that and disappointment to school and teacher but they get an audition. And every parent and Principal see audition and feel that their children are really good at playing.

Actually, Dewey lies to everyone even his friend, and uses children to make a Rock band. But finally, they get a good relationship and get a goal. This is story and movie.

I 100% agree with this movie's story, and I agree that studying is not everything. I hope every parent watch[es] this movie and think[s] what their children want. Be the best you can be[.]

Teacher's note: This author notes Dewey's personal flaws of selfishness and self centeredness. Despite this, the author still agrees that Dewey has redeeming value because his goals have merit. This cause-and-effect logic leads to a great question of philosophy. "Does the end justify the means?" It's not supposed to, but School of Rock breaks all the rules and still does the right thing! WOW! Thanks for posting, author.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:
Jason_Eom

Postby Mie » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:46 pm

I like this movie!

In the beginning of this story, the main character’s lifestyle and his character irritated me. When he got a call from a school and accept to work as a substite, I could not believe it. Of course, he cannot teach anything. Students cannot study despite of prestige school. I wished the lie will be disclose as soon as possible.

When I watched a scene where Dewey tried to teach rock music to students intently, it looked really fun. Students always study in the school without any enjoyment. However, they found it because of Dewey. Finally, the classmate became friendly and got unity power. Each student has nice character and potency. My favorite scene was that Dewey and students pretended to study in the class room. It was so funny! From the scene, we can see their unity power and potency as I said before.

Finally, it was an awful scene when everyone knew that Dewey didn’t have any educational licenses. Even students knew that, they believed him and took him to a competition. I also like a scene that students’ parents knew their children’s potency and [were] gratified with it.

I really enjoyed this movie! Thank you!!

Teacher's note: There's joy in this author's writing. I like the style. A few minor GPS tweaks and we're good to rock. Thanks for an inspired post. And I'm glad you like the film.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
Mie

Postby Molly » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:05 pm

Dewey got a job as a substitute posing as his friend Ned. He had no other choice, because his rock group fired him and he had to pay his share of the rent. In the school, he formed his own rock group of children. To create rock band we need a guitarist, bassist, drummer, pianist and a singer. Usually, guitarist and singer is one person.

Dewey is very talented person, who lives in music. He taught children many important things. He destroyed all the stereotypes. He introduced them to the world of rock. Children also taught him a lot. And they helped him find his destiny. Yes, I think he was born to teach rock. I very liked the film. Soundtracks were divine! Led Zeppelin, Stevie Nicks, AC DC, No Vacancy, Deep Purple! It is the movie that you want to watch!

Teacher's note: Great post, melted my face off. Resolved: Dewey has talent. This author takes the affirmative. I did too. Agreed: the music was the bomb. OK, enough of me. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
Molly

Postby KimBH » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:36 pm

In the movie 'School Of Rock', the main character 'Dewey' is lost in Rock music. In the beginning of the story, he is fired by his band because of his excessive performance. To make matters worse, he needs money. One day, he gets a job, [as a] substitute teacher, but it is actually his friend, Ned Schneebly's job.

During his class, at first, he doesn't do anything. Later, he found [finds] his students' talent (about music), he sets a plan to make his band to be made of his students. They are interested in Rock music gradually, and they practice everyday for performing a concert. However, his swindle is caught. And he is kicked out of his school. But his students really love Rock music and they want to perform a concert. Finally, they escape their school, and perform a concert successfully.

I love this movie. And I learned from this movie, ' You have to do what you like.' Although, from perspective of parents, he is an unreliable person, I respect him. Thank you.

Teacher's note: Great setup and mini-opinion. GPS is pretty good here. A little time shift to be aware of (found/finds), but I stoked on the content of this author. You are able to discern both Dewey's qualities and his connected faults. You're most welcome for your thanks. So glad the movie was well accepted.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :shock:
KimBH

Postby Mohalyami » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 pm

The man who made a band was fired by his band. He is a funny guy with silly behaviors when he plays and sings rock musician. Our hero is Dewey Finn. This man believes that rock is a part of his life. The rock is way to help the community and a chance to show your abilities. After Dewey’s band fires him, he tries to find a short job to face a bill.

Coincidentally, he answered the phone that should be answered by Ned Schneebly. That phone was from the prestigious school which wanted from Schneebly to be a substituted teacher. Dewey thinks that this moment is the best chance for him to get a gig. Therefore, he pretends to be Schneebly. In the first day in the school, he meets Principal Mullins, who gives Dewey the rules of the school. When he is in the class and starts talking, the kids don’t feel with comfortable with him because he doesn’t teach them any valuable lesson. However, when Mr. Schneebly (Dewey) sees the kids playing music, he comes up with a crazy idea which is known later by School of Rock.

In my opinion, I think the movie sends an awesome message that music can play very important role to improve the education. In other words, students need to get out from the comfortable zone to make them more creative. Music teaches students what team work means and how the work should be done in precise way.

Teacher's note: This author has created a perfect setup for Then School of Rock because it leaves us guessing how the story will conclude. Please be aware of time frame (past or general). I agree about the importance of music in the curriculum. Unfortunately, in most school districts, when there is not enough money, music is often the program they cut. Even though there really is a "School of Rock," I've never heard of a school district using it. In 5th grade, kids are given the opportunity to sign up for band instruments (e.g. clarinet, trombone). Thanks for posting!

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :x
Mohalyami

Postby Ulan Korabay » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:29 am

Mov[i]e about a rock musician who went to substitute teacher in high class primary school instead of his friend teacher who suppose to go substitute original teacher in this school. He did it in order to pay his rent for the apartment where he live[d] with his friend who [was] suppose[d] to go substitute and because he was kicked [out] of his rock band with which he was going to win a $20000-dollar competition to be able to pay his rent.

In the school instead of teaching the children regular disciplines, he taught them how to play rock music with hope to win the competition. However, after long preparation they couldn’t win the competition, but they had a lot of fun. As soon as [The parents of the children] figured out what was going on, they were angry about it and were going to punish the “teacher” but as the saw how their children playing on competition they became happy for their children instead of being angry.

Teacher's note: This summary contains cool content. I want this author to drill down into GPS and improve syntax. I made a few suggested corrections which I hope will help. There is no opinion mentioned, so I wonder how this author feels about "School of Rock"? Thanks for a good summary.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :lol:
Ulan Korabay

Next

Return to Movie Reports