[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - FALLING DOWN

FALLING DOWN

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

FALLING DOWN

Postby maikuu » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:25 am

Image :D :evil: :D :evil: :D :evil: :D :evil: :D :evil:
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: FALLING DOWN (Mike)

Postby teinabc » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:33 am

Hello everyone! First, I would like to say that this movie was very different from the ones I am use[d] to watch[ing] because it is a tragic story that make[s] us laugh. I really enjoyed this comedy of tragedy because I don't like tragedy so much, but I love comedy. Falling Down is a good title for the movie because we can follow the main character (D-Fens) [as he] steps into the primrose path until the tragic end.

After losing his job and his family, D-Fens breaks down and chooses to not care about what is right or wrong anymore. Therefore, he decides to visit his little girl even though his wife has a restraining order against him. Until the end of the movie we don’t really know why he can’t get close to his daughter since he doesn’t drink or use drugs, and has never hit his wife.
However, in the end of the movie we realize that he has always been a difficult person as we watch him watching videos of the past. We are able to see that he is bossy and has a bad temper, and it made us understand why his ex-wife was so afraid of him.

My favorite scene is the last one, when D-Fens gives up on his life and wants a duel with Prendergast. He said he would draw his pistol that was in his pocket. Then, as he reached his pocket, Prendergast shot him dead. He drops his toy pistol on the floor and fall[s] into the water. He finally got what he wanted!

Teacher's note: Thanks for an outstanding first post on the film "Falling Down," a personal favorite. We have a well-written setup and description of a favorite scene (including a bit of a spoiler, sh-sh . . .). IMHO we actually do get a pretty good idea of why Foster's wife, Beth, doesn't want him around probably in the first half of the movie. By this point, Foster has shot up half of Los Angeles. He looks pretty dangerous to me. :o

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :ugeek:
teinabc

Postby Ted » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:43 am

This movie was also good. I enjoyed it.

I think the similarity between D-fens and Prendergast is obviously both of them gave up their life. D-fens gave up his life itself becasue he missed his family, especially his daughter. Prendergast also had almost given up his career because of his wife. I also think that I can say both of them lost their daughter. D-fens cannot spend his life with her daughter any more, and Prendergast literally lost her daughter.

I like a whole main sequence becasue the story would be connected little by little. The relationship between D-Fens and Beth was already destroyed. Beth was just scared by D-Fence was coming. She really did not hope they would be together again.

Some scenes were very crazy. For example, at the beginning of this movie, D-Fens broke the stuff in the store that the Korean man runs. Also, when he went to MacDonald, he was sometimes very angry. On the other hand, he was sometimes very sensitive. Some of the scene were violent.

Thank you.

Teacher's note: Glad you liked "Falling Down." I especially like the comparison between Foster and Prendergast. When you think about it, they have a lot in common, with one or two basic differences. I gotta say that my favorite scene is probably when Foster says, "It's plump, it's juicy, it's three inches thick." I always roll over laughing at that comment and the look of disgust on Foster's face. Thanks.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
Ted

Postby Mumumumumurarara » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:27 pm

In Los Angeles, a big traffic jam happened due to a road construction on a high way, and William Foster was stuck there. His frustration grew due to breakdowns of the air conditioner and the window, and a flying fly in his car. He eventually abandoned his car and start to walk to attend his daughter’s birthday party as vending his anger.

I missed the former part of this movie, but I still could enjoy [it]. The impression I received by seeing the latter part of this film was “cause and effect.” [A] person who did bad things would be punished, even though he is a main character. The simple cause and effect was there.

At the last scene, William was killed by the police officer though, I can say he was killed by the principle of the cause and effect but not only the officer. I was afraid that perhaps he would not die because he is the main character, thus the ending sequence made me feel relieved.
Thank you.

Teacher's note: Having missed the first half of "Falling Down," this author still manages to notice that Foster has to die for the movie to end. Roger Corman once insightfully declared, "When the monster is dead, the movie is over." I think this tragically applies to William Foster. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :(
Mumumumumurarara

Postby Daeyoungkim » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:53 pm

This movie started a man`s story in his car. D-FENS just wants to see his daughter on her birthday. So he goes to X-wife`s home.
Unfortunately, everything don`t help him. There was a[n] awful traffic jam, unhelpful shopkeeper, and Mexican gangs. Finally, he started to crack and fight back against the every one.

In his hand, there was weapons which are more and more strong. And he also changed, [becoming] more and more violent. Even he has a strong weapon, his mental was falling down like [the movie] title. He just wanted to meet his daughter but she becomes far more and more.

I think this story is very sad. He just has a little dream not a big dream. But, the little dream was far from him. I think he [is] like our society, and people. People are following their small dream every day. But reaching the dream is very difficult.

The movie has a similarity between D-FENS and Prendergast. Prendergast is a cop who is waiting to retire. He's retiring for his wife, and I think he obviously isn't happy like D-FENS.

Teacher's note: I like the sympathetic tone of this post. In it, the author suggests the underlying motivation for the radical behavior of D-Fens. This is one of the reasons the screenplay is so amazing. I feel that I really understand Foster by the end of the film, why his behavior is so radical. I don't condone it, but I understand it and sympathize. Thanks for a cool post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :?
Daeyoungkim

Postby Hidetoshi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi, this movie was amazing for me. After finishing this movie, I was in sorrow. The hero in this movie was cruel because he killed many people by his selfish reason. He decided to die eventually, so he could do anything. However his acting was not always merciless. He tried to persuade the clerks or person by making logical reason. For example he tried to persuade to get coke in 50 cents by making clerk think about old period. These scenes had a feelings of tension and funny conversation. So they were interesting for me.

And the last scene was also my favorite scene. He met his family, but he was betrayed. By dying with water gun gave me a sorrow though I don't know why. Anyway this movie became one of my favorite movie.

Teacher's note: Whenever I am lucky to introduce a film and it becomes a new favorite, this is a good feeling. I feel honored by this. Thanks to this author for a good post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :)
Hidetoshi

Postby nathayde » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:18 pm

Falling Down is a suspense/drama movie that shows a day in the life of two ordinary men, in which each has to deal with everyday problems and with an unusual situation. Both are stuck in the same traffic jam when the movie begins, and also in the same place when the film ends.

This movie begins with a scene that D-Fens is stuck in traffic jam and decides to leave his car in the tunnel. He is not angry because of the traffic jam. Actually, he is emotionally disturbed since he lost his job, and just got divorced. To complicate his situation he does not admit that his marriage ended and his ex-wife forbade him to see his daughter. So, on his way to meet Beth and his daughter, he eliminates anyone who crosses his path.

In parallel with D-Fens’s story, Prendergast is a detective on his last day of work, since he wants to move to a quieter place with his wife because she is afraid of violence in a big city. He almost gives up his career because of his wife, but on his last day of work, he risks his life to try to stop D-Fens, and after he catches D-Fens, he decides to continue working as a cop.

I liked this movie because, in my opinion, Falling Down reflects modern life, especially in a big city, where people have to face many irritating and stressful situations. Moreover, this film deals with a contemporary issue that reflects the enormous problems that the large concentration of people in one place brings to our daily life such as traffic jam or the standard service in restaurants (scene of McDonald`s), among many other things.

Thank you!! :P

Teacher's note: A thorough and observant post. I like how the two main characters are examined. I would like to read more about how they make different choices based on similar circumstances. The closing paragraph discusses how the film reflects real-world issues. This adds a sense of relevance to "Falling Down." Thanks for writing.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :|
nathayde

Postby Mikii5 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:13 am

I really enjoyed this movie because I like tragic movies. In addition, the movie provided many hint[s] which are to be developed later. I like these kind of movies. The last working day of Prendergast, a lot of accidents happened and all accidents related to D-Fens. I felt impatient that only Prendergast noticed it.

My favorite sequence is the happening at the hamburger shop. D-Fens wanted to eat breakfast but they couldn't provide breakfast. This is because the time was over. However, when D-Fens checked his watch, only four minutes had passed from the breakfast time. It was the most interesting part of this movie for me.

D-Fens has a intense temper and this cause very sad final [moment]. I can understand he loves his daughter so much but his temper made his situation worse.

Thank you.

Teacher's note: Yes, D-Fens has an intense temper, so the question in my mind is this. Did he already have the temper before he lost his job and his wife? Or do circumstances push him so far into a corner that he finally blows a gasket? What do you think? In either case, the result is tragic. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :oops:
Mikii5

Re: FALLING DOWN

Postby I-Rong » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:56 am

This movie was very different from the first and the second one. At first, I felt a little bit bored because D-Fens looks like [he] had some problems and sick, and he didn't notice it. Prendergast had a wife who [was] also sick because they lost their child. The movie used D-Fens changed weapons more and more powerful to show that his sick[ness] was more worse.

It's very contradiction to think compare that is D-Fens a bad guy or not. At first, I just think that he is really crazy man and he can't control himself. In the end, I felt sad about that he [was] just a sick person and just want[ed] to be with his family, especially his daughter. Maybe he did many things [which] were wrong, but the main reason was from his love.

Thank you for sharing the movie and reading my opinion. :)

Teacher's note: And thank you, author, for an insightful post. You have presented a good case for the contradictions in the complex character of D-Fens. It amazes me how a well-rendered screenplay can reveal so much about a person in two hours. To be fair, some of the credit should also go to the the two super-classy actors, Robert Duvall and Michael Douglas as well as the director, Joel Schumacher. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:
I-Rong

Postby Yoshika » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:04 am

Hi, everyone.

I also enjoyed watching this movie, "Falling Down." The main character of this movie, D-Fens divorced from his wife, Beth. And Beth tries to keep D-Fens away from their daughter. However, D-Fens wants to see her for her birthday. So, he goes to see her. On the way to see the daughter, he is caught in many troubles. Then he explodes in anger and it leads to an incident.

As I mentioned first, I enjoyed watching this movie. But I sometimes felt fear about D-Fens's behavior. Also, I felt sad when D-Fens was shot by a police officer.

Thank you.

Teacher's note: Thanks for a nice post. I'm glad you enjoyed "Falling Down." The setup/summary is clear and concise. Yes, D-Fens is a little scary sometimes. When he is with the caretaker and family near the end, you can really see the fear in their faces, especially the child's.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com ;)
Yoshika

Next

Return to Movie Reports