HUGO

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: HUGO (Mike)

Postby KimBH » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:08 pm

This movie makes me feel warm.

Hugo, the main character, is an orphan who lives in a clock tower for making a robot. One day, Hugo tries to steal a toy for assembling his robot, but George, the shop's owner, stops him, and takes his note book, written about the robot. Hugo tries to get back, in the meanwhile, George's granddaughter, Isabel, becomes his friend, and she helps him to assemble the robot. After that, they know about George's past, and George tries to keep it hide.

This movie was very impressed to me, and I really enjoyed it. Thank you.
KimBH

Postby Yazza-94 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Hugo is an adventure and a drama movie. It talks about an orphan who lives in a train station in Paris. Hugo can fix anything that is related to clocks or even mechanics. He learned that from his father and uncle. Unfortunately, they both died and before that his father left him a mechanical man. So the only thing that could reconnect him with his father and all the memories he has back then is this mechanical man. So he tries to fix it and brings it back to life, but he needs a special key for that.

So he meets Georges Melies, and he works in same train station where Hugo lives and works. After that, Hugo discovers that this guy is actually the builder of the machine. Also, Georges used to be an actor and a writer, but he quit long time ago. So Hugo shows up and brings up all the buried memories from the old man's past.

I think it's a wonderful movie because of three things: great writing, good sound effects, and amazing pictures.

Thanks
Yazza-94

Postby jhhan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:47 pm

First, I loved the way the movie featured Hugo's home in a clock. The graphics were amazing and made fascinating atmosphere. The storyline of the movie was so mysterious at first, so it kept me concentrating on the movie.

Most parts of the movie was about the early days of movie production. Because I had a movie history class in my university as liberal arts, it reminded me of what I learned before. And I understand Georges' behavior. The world war destroyed his fantasy and it would be hard to overcome. So he had to work in a toy store to make a living. I understand that because sometimes reality is more important than dream. To acheive a dream, we should have a courage but it is very difficult to. However, in the movie Hugo gave that courage to Georges so he could get back his dream of making movie.

It was touching and distinctive movie because the topic of it is not common. It is glad that I could know about this movie!
jhhan

Postby Yoshika » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:39 am

Hugo, the main character, lives in the station because his father has passed away. He lives there to fix a clock. And he has one machine which his father left. So he tries to repair it. While he tries to do that, he meets a girl, Isabelle, and they tries to seek the secret of the machine together. Also, he meets Isabelle's father, Georges, and he knows a big secret about that machine.

This movie is different from the other movies I warched, but I like this kind of movie.
Thank you.
Yoshika

Postby tinattaro » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:50 pm

HUGO is one of the greatest movie that I have ever watched!!!! Last Spring Break, I went to Paris, so I could remind beautiful landscape in Paris!!!!! The story was so wonderful because I couldn't expect next scene!!! At the beginning, HUGO lost his mother and father....It was so sad, so I likely to cry at the time. Therefore, I wanted HUGO to be happy [at] end of the movie....! I thought that all of casts were so great, that's impressive!!! I want to watch this movie again with mother!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Teacher's note: Wow!!!! I am so impressed with this author's response to "Hugo," a favorite of mine too. And, yes, I have also been to Paris (twice). Pleas let me know how your mother likes "Hugo". And thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D
tinattaro

Postby Claire9 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:36 am

Later
Claire9

Postby Claire9 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:06 pm

I watch this movie more than 3 times .The most appealing to me is not a movie plot to convey the spirit and movie lines. The 3 sentences I like are“If you've ever wondered where your dreams come from,you look around. This is where they are made ” ; “Everything has a purpose,even machines.Clocks tell the time and trains take you places.They do what they're meant to do.Maybe it's the same with people.If you lose your purpose,it's like you're broken" and “I'd imagine the whole world was one big machine. Machines never come with any extra parts,you know. They always come with the exact amount they need.So I figured if the entire world was one big machine.I couldn't be an extra part.I had to be here for some reason. ” Dreams and adhere to help us achieve our ideals.
MoreoverIn the movie "Hugo" in the flashback kept many films of George , like "Trip to the Moon", it is also this bit of early movie from start to finish throughout "Hugo." Obviously, tracing, adventure, perfect picture, dazzling long mirror, is not important, the real focus is on the old movie flashback, a film master pay tribute to another film master.
Claire9

Postby Kiyomi » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:03 am

“If the entire world was one big machine, I couldn’t be an extra part, I had to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason too.” the phrase was stated by Hugo. (I’m not sure that the sentence is correct completely.) I think that the phrase make me encourage me. In my opinion, Hugo told me that there is nobody who is not needed. It means that everyone have missions like only one can do. There are not people who are meaningless. I moved when Hugo state the phrase.

Actually, before I watched the movie, I believed that a content of HUGO was SF because a package design of the DVD is look like a SF movie. However, it is totally difference. The content was a human story. I learned present movies were made on a lot of oblivion.

To be honest, I think the movie is so so. However, if I have a chance to watch it again, I want to see a 3D version of the movie. It might be more enjoyable and attractive.

Thank you!!!
Kiyomi

Postby Manayo96 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:18 pm

I enjoyed this movie. This movie is one boy who likes machines and to fix them. His name is Hugo. He lives in clock tower in the station and he does not have parents. One mochine which is made by his father always support him.

During wacthing this movie, I though I want him to find someone who can support him. Isebelle who is Hugo's friend help him to fix one machine. She likes adventure, so I was so excited.

Finally, they can notice that Isebelle's father, George, was a film directer and he is really important person.

I really want to recommend this movie to my friends.

Thank you.
Manayo96

Previous

Return to Movie Reports