[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - BLOOD DIAMOND

BLOOD DIAMOND

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

BLOOD DIAMOND

Postby maikuu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:23 pm

BldDiamond.jpg
Leonardo DiCaprio as Danny Archer and Djimon Hounsou as Solomon Vandy
BldDiamond.jpg (60.93 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: BLOOD DIAMOND (Mike)

Postby Claire9 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:32 pm

This is an amazing film. Leonardo DiCaprio is one of my favor[ite] actor!

Sometimes money mean everything to humans, in this movie, Afric[a] people kill each other for get a diamond. At the beginning of this movie, Leonardo just want to leave Afic with the beautiful diamond, he [is] trying to become indiffe[re]nt and do a lot of bad things by hook or by crook. but I when he feel how poor and innocent the masses are, he change his mind.

He started to help the father looking for his kids. however he is not lucky. The most impressive movement is Leonardo give the last change to the father even though Leonardo's partner told he to leave the father alone. when you face to death, everything change. I can't image life valle so distorted when human driven by huge profit. But anyway, it is a good ending.

Teacher's note: Thank you, author, for being first to respond to "Blood Diamond." I like how there is summary and opinion mixed artfully together. "By hook or by crook" is a good idiom to describe Danny Archer, IMHO. Thank you.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :)
Claire9

Postby Ted » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:18 am

Solomon Vandy ,who is a fisherman, lives in Africa with his family. He really loves his family, and he does not mind to abnadon his life if it's for his family. Danny Archer is also from Africa although he is white. He served military before, and he is a smuggler with dealing illegal diamond exported from Africa. Maddy , who is from America is a journalist. She has been working on her work in Africa.

I guess Solomon wanted the big diamond for two reasons. Firstly, he did not want to give it to RUF(Revolutionary United Front) member because they are the one destroying the country and his family. Secondly, he might have thought that the diamond would be able to help his family and himself finacially in the future after he escapes from RUF and finds his family.

Archer wanted it because he wanted to get out from Africa. In order to leave from Africa, he needed to have enough money for sure which is the diamond.

Archer was helped by Colonel to be one of the smugglers . However, Archer always has been thought how to leave Colonel and Africa.

This is one of the realities that happens in Africa. That is not all tragedies there. However, what all happen in Africa is not just sorrowful catastrophe. The peaceful world must be achieved there.

Teacher's note: I agree with what this author says about Solomon Vandy. He actually wanted the diamond just so the RUF could NOT have it. I guess, they would have gone to a guy like Danny and bought a lot more guns. In this way, Danny still would have come out a "winner". So Solomon had reasons even beyond his understanding of the reasons. Thanks for a solid post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :x
Ted

Postby Erolakbas » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:24 pm

Solomon Vendi before kidnapped by RUF he had a regular life. He had a lovely family, and he was living in Africa. Danny Archer was from Africa too;however, he was white. He had some dealings with military, and it was about exportation of diamond from Africa. Maddy was a common journalist. She was from America, and she had been working in Africa to show and to prevent diamond trade and slavery.

I think Solomon Vandy wanted this diamond because, after he escaped from RUF he wanted to took care his family, so he needed that diamond about financially. Danny Archer did not want to be in Africa, therefore , he needed that diamond. Also it was about financially too.

Danny Archer was helping [the] Colonel because, once upon a time Colonel took care him, and Archer gave diamond to Colonel.

This movie was a real movie, so this movie influenced me emotionally.It was such a nice movie. I will recommend this movie all of my friends because, this movie was instructive about other countries and other people's lives too.

Teacher's note: I am glad you like "Blood Diamond." As you point out, this story affects all of us in a deeply personal way when we consider our reasons behind purchasing a beautiful diamond. Can we have a little less irony in our tragedy, please?

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com
Erolakbas

Postby Mumumumumurarara » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Blood Diamond
I love this film.

Diamonds, a rare and beautiful jewel, represents a wealth and success, which attracts many ladies in the world. On the other hands, jewel companies in developed countries such as mentioned in this film dominates the market, which results to force people in the areas where diamonds exist to do extremely hard work as slave. The result is none other than the blood diamond.

By trying to gain more funds, conflicts among terrorists and governments has been breaking out to fight over diamonds in Africa, which makes the life of the innocent people living there be in danger. The desire of customers attracted by the jewel and people wanting more money cause the bloody result, a blood diamond.

Therefore, this film, Blood diamond, must be a realistic portrait of Africa. But it is only a part of the tragedy in Africa. The abundant natural resources the continent has are exploited by other countries, and the people are exploited as a cheap labor. The affairs I cannot even imagine must happen there.

Although I hope that this film depicts mainly a negative image of Africa and there must be harmonious lives as well, the blood diamonds and the conflicts related to it has occurred actually. I don’t even know what I can do. Anyways, this film triggered me think of Africa and the international relationships among Africa.

And, as our teacher said, the actor as Solomon did an amazing job.

Thanks.

Teacher's note: Djimon Hounsou did indeed do a terrific job. But did you know he also starred as the bad guy in Furious Seven? He was the guy in the helicopter. And he played Korath in Guardians of the Galaxy. So, come to think about it, he has quite a range as an actor.

And, yes, I too feel frustrated when watching a film like "Blood Diamond" and realize that there is not a lot I can do as an individual to mitigate this injustice. It certainly makes me glad that I have never purchased a diamond. I have always felt that there was something "not right" about diamonds. Now we know. Thanks for a great post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com 8-)
Mumumumumurarara

Postby Yoshika » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:15 pm

This movie is about civil war which happened in Africa.
Solomon, the main character of this movie, was forced to mine diamonds by RUF. One day, he finds very big diamond and hides it because he does not want to give it ro RUF. Since one soldier sees the scene, Solomon is followed by him. While he tries to find his family, he meets Archer who is also African but white. He really wants diamond, so he comes to act together. Also, they meet Maddy who is a journalist and wants to know the evidence. Then, each of them seeks what they want to do tpgether.

Actually, I did not like the first half of this movie because there were many scene I cannot stand to see. The scene that meny people were killed without any meaning was cruel. But, in the second half, I was very inspired by many scenes such as the one Solomon and his son's relationship was recovered by his love. So, I like this movie as a whole.
Yoshika

Postby Kiyomi » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:55 pm

To be honest, I was not to able to watch the whole movie because I really do not like fighting scene which people bleed heavily and are killed. However, the movie make me move.

I think that the theme of the movie is to tell that diamonds are found and made by a lot of blood, so people should not purchase them. Actually, before I watched the movie, I believed that diamonds are just very beautiful stones. However, I knew a fact and a background of diamonds and will not be happy even though I get a diamond. I did not know the fact. I was really shocked when I saw the movie. I felt many unpleasant feelings and nightmares through it.

In addition, I moved a process of changing Danny’s mind. Firstly, he sells diamonds secretly and try to get rich quickly. That is why he follow Solomon who found a diamond. However, his mind changed to being better. At the end of the movie, Danny told Solomon to go back with his son. Moreover, he fought to let escape them. I saw one scene which Danny grabbed sand. I believe that the scene suppose that the sand is dyed by blood of many people.
 I will never forget the movie.

Thank you!!!
Kiyomi

Postby I-Rong » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:55 am

It was my second time to see this movie. It's amazing film.

Some people believe that money is everything and sometimes crazy about it. Also, Diamond means rich, but few people think about that where it came from. At first time, when I saw this movie, I felt shocked because I had never known that the way diamond came from. It made me feel contradiction.

Sometimes, people become selfish because they got desire of rich and renown. When Danny knew that he can't make it and will die, he decided to give Solomon blood diamond, and helped him to safe his son and family. Sacrificing is very difficult, so it was really touching me. Because of his sacrifice, people knew that the truth from the business company and businessman, and knew that how they pressed people to be digger by using violent.

Sometimes, we shouldn't believe what we see, and also have to think many ways from one thing.

Thanks for sharing this movie and reading. I really like this film.
I-Rong

Postby Mikii5 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:32 am

It happend very suddenly, the happiness of the man, Solomon, was robbed by RUF. He and his son, Dia, were talking about scholl life on their way home from son's school. They seemed to have a fun in their conversation. However, RUF came suddenly and shot people of the village in which Solomon had lived indiscriminately. He was captured and likely to be killed, but the leader of the RUF stopped to do that. This is because Solomon looked like useful to find "Diamonds".

The most impressive scene for me was when Solomon persuade his son to come back. It was true love of family. I could feel a lot of love from Solomon. In addition, I admire like this family which members have considerations each other.
I was shocked that these happening were the facts. Make matters worse, it is continuing. People make many children have a gun and shoot people still now. This is an unchangeable fact. I could learn little bit about the problem of Africa from this movie.

Thank you
Mikii5

Postby MickaRu » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:19 am

Solomon Vandy was a fisherman was living peacefully with his family. Danny Archer was a former soldier who was a dealer of diamond. Maddy Bowen was an American journalist who was investigated about blood diamonds. Solomon wanted the diamond to find his family and help them to live, while Danny wanted it to have enough money to leave Africa and start a new life. The colonel Coetzee is the man for whom Danny worked. He was is chief when he worked in the army. The colonel was like his mentor.

Unfortunately, this movie is a realistic portrait of Africa. I m from Congo, and there is the same situation. There is war in the east of the country for coltan which is an ore used to make mobile phone. We see the same problematic: many rebels groups controlling the zone who take child soldiers, a neighbor country which sells coltan but they don't have it in their underground, interdiction to import coltan from conflict area but it's not respected,... We can see that we know all the ingredient, but nothing is done to really stop it. There is too much benefit in the game that all powerful countries close their eyes.
MickaRu

Next

Return to Movie Reports