BLOOD DIAMOND

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: BLOOD DIAMOND (Mike)

Postby jhhan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:47 pm

I really enjoyed watching this movie. The movie was at first somewhat serious and included bloody scenes which made me hard to watch, but as time goes on I could feel suspense from the storyline. Solomon Vandy was an ordinary father of his loving family. He lived peaceful life. However the war between government and RUF made his life miserable. The movie is based on the real story of Africa. It was very frustrated and sad. Many common citizens suffered from the war dying and being injured. Moreover, boys who are very young were caught by RUF and made to kill people. It was unbelievable reality.

Diamond is the key part of the movie. Because Africa was full of diamonds, they were the target for various of people. RUF, government, and smugglers all wanted diamonds for money. Their war for diamonds killed many people and made Africa miserable. I was surprised that the situation this movie showed was real story. 'Blood diamond' is a real word for a diamond which is from illegal sources.

The movie taught me a lot for the real situation of Africa. And I became to think anout diamonds one more time. They look beautiful but had many downsides behind that beauty. I want to recommend this movie to my friends to think about it. Thank you.
jhhan

Postby Daeyoungkim » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:33 am

In 1999 and Sierra Leone, which is suffered from civil war, fisherman Solomon Vandy, who has been assigned to a workforce overseen by Captain, found an enormous pink diamond in the riverbank. Captain Poison learns of the stone, but before he can follow up, the area is raided by government security forces. At that time, Danny jailed while trying to smuggle diamonds into Liberia and he heard about the pink diamond. Although the three people got a freedom, they still tied to find each other because of the diamond; Vandy was for his son`s freedom, Danny is for escaping Africa, and Poison is for lots of money.

We called Blood diamonds is that a diamond is from a war zone and sold to finance an insurgency, an invading army's war efforts, or a warlord's activity. Many people especially, women love diamond. However, most of people do not know that where the diamonds are from. This movie shows to us and taught about the blood diamond.
I think we have to know this fact and try to stop this vicious circle.
Daeyoungkim

Postby nathayde » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:12 pm

What a movie! Blood Diamond is an action movie that happens in Africa. It is touching, exciting, and interesting movie that involves three main characters, Solomon Vandy, Danny Archer, Maddy Bowen. At the same time that it is a sad movie which portraits the reality of Africa, it is interesting because involves three different interests and stories.

Solomon Vandy who is a pretty nice man wants the diamond because it represents the freedom of his family; Danny Archer wants the diamond because it represents the opportunity of getting much money; and Maddy Bowen because she is a reporter, she wants to accuse the industry of diamonds.

This movie really shocked me because I did not know about the reality of Africa where innocent people are hostage of dangerous group and children act as adult killing people. It is so sad to believe that because of greedy people kill each other.

On the other hand, this movie impressed me in a good way because even though it shows destruction and poverty, it shows that there are good people everywhere and that people can change. Solomon is an example of good man, he is not involve with the industry of diamond and in the middle of chaos, he believes in a better future for his children. On contrary, Danny is not so good, he is eager for money, but in the end, he shows his good side, helping Solomon to meet his family and build a new life.

I really loved this movie. For me, the most touching scene is when Danny, almost dying, calls to Maddy to her help Solomon. This scene shows that even “bad person” can have a good heart!

Thank you!
nathayde

Postby Manayo96 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:42 pm

I enjoyed this movie and really like it. I like this story, but sometimes I could not watch the screen because there are many gun shoot scene and many people are killed. I still cannot accept there were people who were killed like this movie in the past.

This movie is about during Sierra Leone Civil War. Rebel fanctions such as the Revolutionary United Front terrorize the countryside. One day, Solomon who was caught by them discovers a big pink diamond and he coves it. He and Archer who was in jail try to find that diamond to help Solomon's family.

I really recommend this movie to my friend.
Thank you.
Manayo96

Postby Kade » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:20 am

This very great movie tells the story behind one othe most expensive kind of jewelry people can buy, it shows the dark side behind this huge bussiness and this is one of the things I like about such movies that tells stories from real world problems. leonardo dicaprio Was great in this movie, i really liked his role (too bad he didn't take the oscar award yet :lol: )

The movie made me think twice about something we didn't paid much attention to, when paying such thing people should question the origin of those black diemonds so they don't end up supporting sumthing they know nothing about :idea:
Kade

Postby JIHYE MUN » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:55 am

Solomon Vandy who was a fisherman lost his family by the rebel army. Sierra Leone was being propelled towards civil war. So this kind of tragedy is common. Solomon was enslaved in the diamond mine. He had family on the brain. Someday, he found a gem stone that is the biggest one all over the world. He might thought this diamond made a lot of money for finding his family members. However, the situation worse than he thought. Because everyone want that. Actually, Danny Archer was desire to gain it, too. So he accessed to Solomon for persuading. But, Solomon couldn't believe anyone.

Maddy Bowen is a American reporter. She was covering the blood diamond in Africa. Coincidentally, she met Danny at the beach. And she interested in him for her articles. Finally, she accompanied him and Solomon Vandy.

Colonel Coetzee who is bald as a billiard ball was a leader of Danny's organization. He was such a bad guy and want to buy the big diamond. So Danny was a kind of broker who worked for Colonel. But later, they betrayed each other.

I already knew about blood diamond. Because when I was a school reporter, I wrote an article about this topic. So this movie was easy for understanding. But when Dia didn't recognized his father, my heart was broke. And the death of Danny was a heart-rending tragedy. Adult's nasty greed made child soldier. I thought this reality was the worst thing. I will pray for them.
JIHYE MUN

Re: BLOOD DIAMOND

Postby The3TG » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:58 pm

Leonardo DiCaprio's movies are my all time favorites so naturally its not my first time to watch this interesting movie talking about the real scene happening in Africa.

What are the backgrounds of Solomon Vandy, Danny Archer, and Maddy Bowen?

Solomon Vandy, a fisherman who was suppurated from his family by the cartels who's searching for them and whiling to find and get his kidnapped son back at any price.

Danny Archer, Former worrier who's specialized in smuggling "blood diamonds" through all over Africa.

Maddy Bowen, an American journalist trying to find her story of truth in Africa.
The3TG

Previous

Return to Movie Reports