[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - Almost Famous: NOT ON THE LIST

Almost Famous: NOT ON THE LIST

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Almost Famous: NOT ON THE LIST

Postby maikuu » Fri May 15, 2015 12:38 pm

:D :x :x :idea: :mrgreen: :roll: :ugeek: 8-) :o :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :| :evil: :evil:

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: Almost Famous : NOT ON THE LIST (Mike)

Postby Yi Yun » Fri May 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Penny Lane and her friends are helpful to William because they wanted to help William pass the door. The Doorman was so rude. He stopped William and closed the door for three times. At first, the guys in the picture (Stillwater) were also rude to William. However, William said that he is one of their fans, and their songs are incendiary. After that, these guys became friendly and helped William pass the door.

Teacher's note: Thanks for being first to post to "Not on the List" at "Almost Famous." Nice summary, but I think the door opens five times before William enters.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :)
Yi Yun

Postby Jihyeonkim » Sun May 17, 2015 5:16 pm

it was first class, first movie. This short movie was so interesting. Especially, the short scene was so funny that main character's mother yelled to her sun "Don't do drug!".
Also it was impressive that a main chara[c]ter tried again and again to interview someone. Finally when he went into the door, I thought 'Nice!'
I want all the time will be fun like last our class. Thank you Mike! Nice meet you teacher and classmate!

Teacher's note: Glad the movie class was fun for you. If you also learned some English with this experience, I consider it a success. I will try to make every class successful. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :ugeek:
Jihyeonkim

Postby Fawziah » Mon May 18, 2015 8:19 pm

It was very nice movie. I watched it before, but it's very nice to watch it again because I forgot a lot of detiles [details].
The guy insistence was interesting because he tried many time before he got into the back stage 8-) . He tried more than 3 or 4 times and he did it finely [finally]. I enjoyed the short movie, and I think I will watch it again. :idea:
Thank you Mike it was very enjoyable class.

Teacher's note: Glad you like the class, so far. We will watch a lot of interesting movies in the coming weeks. I hope they help you with your English. Best!

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
Fawziah

Postby The3TG » Sun May 31, 2015 5:50 pm

I like that movie it’s one of the all time unforgettable classics.

What I think is that on that particular scene in the beginning of the movie where everyone is getting familiar with that ambitious unstoppable young kid, they dealt with him with sympathy mixed with curiosity to know more about him, what does it make such a pure hearted naïve kid insisting on entering the world of Rock stars where there’s no place for such kind of pure soul.

That’s what I think that they might liked about him.

Teacher's note: I think this author is very right. William's heart is pure, so unlike everyone who has joined the rock and roll circus. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
The3TG

Postby Tumi » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:37 pm

This part of the movie is about identity. It is about the transformation point in a hero/heroine's journey that fascinates everyone such as when Cinderella's fairy godmother prepared her for the ball or when Aladdin meets the genie.

William begins the scene as a nobody. He is made fun of the crowd (the nonessentials), spectators that are there to see the bands and payed to see them play. At the back door, he is even rejected a couple times by the bouncer.

It is here that he meets the "groupies" and his feminine opposite, Penny. Penny even says the difference between her and the other girls: she loves music. She is not trying to be with popular people just to say to others that she was with them, she wants to be a contributor to the world of music just like William.

What she likes about William is his “innocence”. He is not a groupie, he loves music just as she does and she finds this attractive. It's not made known how yet, but will probably eventually go into wanting to date William. Nevertheless, she finds him worthy as a teammate and invites him to go with her.

The Band's connection to William is interesting. They are seekers of those that feed into their ego, which is natural for musical artists. William proves to be worthy of their attention once they hear William speak about their journey and then identify what makes them peculiar as artists. He does this cleverly with compliments and big words that make them feel special even though they don't even know what they mean. On the other hand the band also has a message and they feel William can word their message to the fans “not the critics”. They like him and see him as beneficial for their mission.
Tumi

Re: Almost Famous: NOT ON THE LIST

Postby YihanLiu » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:51 pm

Penny and the girls might think William as a naive child. Freddie the Doorman is a rude guy and probably has some kind of personal discrimination against William. The Stillwater was angry at William at first, however, the attitude turned friendly after the words William said. The film pays a lot of attention to the expressions of characters which makes it really impressive. I love music and films and I am really looking forward to watching the whole movie next class.
YihanLiu

Postby siyu1012 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:04 am

In the short sequence movie, I believe everyone (except Freddie) is touched by the pure young journalist William.

The world of rock stars was too complicated for William, but he always went all out to achieve what he wanted to do without hesitation, even though he may feel a little afraid. Penny and the girls liked this innocent boy who was so different from others and wanted to protect him. Stillwater initially thought William was just one of the band critics, so they did not welcome William at all. Soon they found out that the young journalist was very sincere and had a strong interest on the band itself. Thanks to William’s persistence, he finally passed the doorman and interviewed Stillwater.
siyu1012

Postby xunpengwu » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:20 pm

William was so young but so true.

First of all, Penny and other girls of "The Band-Aid" were moved by William's straightforward and pure talk, and would like to give him an opportunity to enter the gate. The Doorman Freddie followed the guest list and his working rules, but he was rude with certain personal discrimination against William. The most dramatic part was with The Stillwater. The Stillwater's manager was not happy with William because they were already late, but William gained their favor by commending the band members and music as "Incendiary". The movie was classic with lots of interesting culture things, such as groupie, cinderellas, Glyn Johns and more. I look forward to the rest of the movie!
xunpengwu

Postby ZiyuZhang » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:10 pm

Penny lane and her friends are friendly to William. Maybe in their eyes, William is just a naive and cute boy. They make jokes with William but still willing to give a hand to him.

Freddie has showed his complete distaste towards William and no respect at all. Maybe as a doorman, that little power has made Freddie so complacent that his discrimination against William, who seems to be nobody, cannot even be hid.

As for Stillwater, they are also impatient towards William at the beginning. But when William begins to talk about their music and personal styles, they change their attitudes. Maybe the band also wants someone who truly understand them, therefore they choose to help William at last.
ZiyuZhang

Next

Return to Movie Reports