[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - FORGETTING SARAH MARSHAL

FORGETTING SARAH MARSHAL

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

FORGETTING SARAH MARSHAL

Postby maikuu » Wed May 27, 2015 7:18 pm

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: FORGETTING SARAH MARSHAL

Postby Yi Yun » Thu May 28, 2015 4:22 pm

1. Sarah had a relationship with rock star, whose name is Aldous Snow. She thinks that Petter didn't pay much attention to her, and Petter always stays in his own space.

2. Petter goes to Hawaii , and then meet a beautiful woman at the hotel front desk. They have a great time in Hawaii, and they fall in love.

3. After many things happened in Hawaii. Sarah told Petter that she still love him. Sarah kissed Petter, and they are going to make love. However, Petter stopped and blamed Sarah. Petter told Rachel what happened, and it makes Rachel angry. She told Petter don't write or call her. Things are going to worse.

Teacher's note: Thanks for a clear and concise setup for "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." I like how your ideas are organized and easy to see. Also, not too much of the story is given away.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D
Yi Yun

Postby Molly » Thu May 28, 2015 9:32 pm

For my astonishment I liked this style of humor. The jokes and vocabulary are very useful in America. Also we've learned a few Hawaian words.

I think film [is] about love. Film teaches us how to distinguish true love from fake love. Person could love another person, if they are in the same level of development. From the first minutes it was obvious, that Sara was addiction for Peter. He didn't really love her. Because they were so different. He was more complex,more evolved and interesting. That's why he ruined his life, didn't change his clothes, and didn't leave home for weeks.

Sara wasn't THAT girl who could motivate him. Fortunately, they broke up. And he met Rachel, attractive smart woman, who has the same view of life as Peter has. And Peter start[ed] to discover the world. He learned to surf, jumped off a cliff, and finished his Dracula misical. The whole world changed, because he met the girl, the soulmate.

Sara, of course, wasn't bad. I liked her. But she was on another level. It wasn't lower, just another. I hope, she will find her RIGHT person, because Aldous isn't her soulmate. And Mahalo for this film!

Teacher's note: Aloha, author! So you notice that Peter is more complex, perhaps confused, and surely not happy with Sarah. Maybe he is only in love with the "Sarah comfort zone", not Sarah the person, but he can't realize it until . . . But why does Peter click with Rachel? Is she in a rut similar to Peter's? Thanks for a nice post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
Molly

Postby The3TG » Sun May 31, 2015 6:06 pm

I think the idea of that movie is already over used in romantic comedy movies. The story and the moral of it is repeated in dozens of similar movies. I am not being pessimist don't judge me I still find it a hilarious movie thanks to the creative actor Russell Brand (Aldous Snow) who plays the role of crazy hipster Rock Star with a unique but bizarre character that made me giggle the whole time. Really enjoyed it and I would recommend it for a friend who needs some laughter in his day.

Teacher's note: Thank you author for pointing out the difficulty in creating a truly original RomCom concept. It seems like everything has already been done or attempted. And while it seems that "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is not exactly original, I would be hard pressed to name another comedy that was quite similar to this one or on which this one may have been based. In that sense, I find Sarah Marshall to be quite refreshing.

Here's the deal IMHO. The implied irony is that Peter was never meant to be in this relationship with Sarah, but she did one thing that proved his undoing. She made a guy who likes to feel comfortable, comfortable. Remember the cereal dispenser she got him so that he could sit on the couch and munch Lucky Charms all day. Does he need that? No!! He always needed to break up with Sarah. So she actually does him a big favor by hooking up with Aldous Snow. This gives her the impetus to do what "Mr. Comfort Zone" does not have the momentum to do. She breaks up, and he feels naked--is naked.

Now he meets Rachel. She is actually what he needs. First she gets him to jump off the cliff (There is symbolism here.), and more importantly, to finish his puppet musical. Boom! No more comfort zone. I think this all makes for a pretty cool movie.

Thank you author for a great response and for getting me out of my comfort zone.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
The3TG

Postby akerke » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Usually I don't watch the movies like this. Being frank[ly], I thought that this is from the-same-type-comedies movie. But, for my surprise, I did not expect that a story about a whiny guy will be so funny. But, hell, I've not been laughing for a long time. This film carries the idea of "Over-idealisation of our lovers and ex-lovers by people", and in my opinion, [the] film entirely justified and logical turns into a drama.

This movie forces to think, at least, that it is not necessary to idealize the people that left you (but, not all face this problem), and to think that they were the people from the "the-only-one-lover-for-the-entire-of-the-life" category, because, there are other, sometimes better options, such as Rachel (Mila Kunis). So, guys, don't be over-idealised about your loved ones and about people entirely. Trust but verify!

Teacher's note: So glad this author liked "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" despite having initial misgivings about its genre. I agree that Peter has seriously idealized Sarah, a nice girl who, unfortunately for Peter, is exactly what he DOES NOT need. (Please see my comments in the previous post.)

Unfortunately for Peter, it takes an event of seismic proportions to get him off the couch, off the cliff, and into the salt spray of the Pacific Ocean to pump the necessary life into his blood. Rachel proves to be just the girl to facilitate this action. Mahalo for a nice post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :shock:
akerke

Postby Fawziah » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:48 pm

1-Sara broke up with Peter I think because he is careless and he spend the entire week with one [pair of] pants and she tried to help him. she talked with therapist and her mom to help him but he is doesn't understand.

2- I think he tried to deal with it. In the first he cried a lot and just kept remember her and what she did. Then, he decided to go to Hawaii to spend sometime and forget her. Unfortunately, he found her there with her new boyfriend and it's got worse.

3-it's got worse to Peter because he found them anywhere, in the restaurant, beach, also his room was the next room of her room.

Thank you

Teacher's note: And mahalo to you, dear author, for a nice post. MGE always appreciates a clear concise summary that does not spoil the story. Such is this post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :lol:
Fawziah

Postby Aibar » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:52 pm

Well, another American comedy... I need to say that I watched this movie few years ago and I liked it. However, It might be because I grow up or I have started to watch serious movies, anyway, I didn't like "Forgetting Sarah Marhsall" this time.

There are some reasons why I disliked this movie: first, it has typical scenario; second, they used too many bad words and scenes with nudity and tried to make it funny. Although, the most positive moment in this movie was Jonah Hill because he wasn't main hero but as usual made the moments with himself very funny. So, according to Mr. Laib's scale, I'll give for this movie 2 out of 4.

Teacher's note: Although I may disagree with an author or feel disappointment at their reaction to a movie, I have always appreciated it when an author submits their honest feelings about a movie. In this case, the author suggests that "Sarah Marshall" may be age-or-situation specific, a point well made. As the author gained maturity, this kind of humor seemed, well . . . not so funny.

Maybe there is even a hint for moi in this post when I am referred to as "Mr. Laib" as in "Time to grow up, bro." Nah, I don't think so. There's plenty of time for that later. Thanks, author for an honest assessment of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall."

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :lol:
Aibar

Postby abanumay » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:43 pm

I really like the movie but some time I don't like watch this kind of movies but some time after a long work day we need watch like this kind of movies make us relax.

First: Sarah had a relationship with rock star whose name is Aldous Snow and Sarah broke up with Peter and he met in the Hawaii she is attractive smart woman.

Second: Peter went to Hawaii for have a vacation after his hart is Break then he meet a woman at the reception of his hotel then she helped him with a free suite!!.

Third: A lot of things happened for him after Aldous Snow left Sarah she told Peter that she still love him Sarah tried to make love with him but Peter stopped here then he went to the front disk to told Rachel what happened thin she went really angry thin she told Peter don't write or call. After that she came to his show and meat each other and every thing was fine in the end. :) :)

Teacher's note: Glad you like "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." It's my guess that this movie is heavily influenced by TV comedy, which people usually watch in the evening after a hard working at the salt mine. So I guess it's understandable that watching this film can help us to relax and forget out blisters and sore backs at the end of the day. Mahalo for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
abanumay

Postby Jihyeonkim » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:57 pm

Why does Sarah break up with Peter?
: Because peter always stay in home and he didn't effort for his future.

How does Peter deal with the break-up?
: Peter go to the Hawaii! because he want forgot her. but unfortunately peter and sarah meet again in Hawaii

In Hawaii, how do things get worse for Peter?
: when peter arrived in Hawaii, he saw sarah and his boyfriend. Also he had to using room next her room

This movie was so funny. Of cource, it was so sad situstion when peter and sarah was break up but it was also funny. actually i want peter and sarah meeting again so a little bit sorry.

Thank you!
Jihyeonkim

Postby Tumi » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Sarah broke up with Peter because it was hard for her to take care of him when he stopped taking care of himself.

Although, she tried to work the relationship by seeing a therapist and attending different seminars, she got very frustrated when Peter didn't notice her efforts..

She even said to him that she couldn't drown with him anymore..

However, the main reason for Peter's behavior that time, is that he was going through a tough time and she did not have the patience or the ability to help him through it.

The issue truly was with Peter. His problem could only be solved by him.

However, she can't bail on him in the bad times and replace him then expect to have access after he starts to arise from the ashes of immaturity.
Tumi

Return to Movie Reports