[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - DEAD POETS SOCIETY

DEAD POETS SOCIETY

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

DEAD POETS SOCIETY

Postby maikuu » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:04 pm

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: DEAD POETS SOCIETY

Postby Yi Yun » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:39 pm

1. I disagree with this idea. These students' dreams are not foolish because these dreams are [what] the students really want to do.

2. Keating recalled his experience with Neil, touched his seat, and sat on his seat to cry. He felt remorse for Neil's death.

3. "carpe diem" means seize the day. It encourages people to pursue their dreams and freedom. Keep your dreams and do what you really want to do.

Teacher's note: Good responses. I agree with this author on #1, but I feel compelled to hear what Professor McAllister says about the fact that these guys are only seventeen years old. He raises the question of whether they are old enough to dream and still be able to keep their eyes on the prize. Valid question. Thanks for the first post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:
Yi Yun

Postby akerke » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:25 pm

Thank you Mr. Laib for such a marvelous movie! The movie is very profound and deep and shows us how expressive could be young people in this age and how it is important to understand and support them to eschew many tragedies. Each of the boys thinks that they are invincible and feels themselves as a special, brave hero and there is nothing that they cannot do.

This movie carries the idea of classical problems for all the times, which is "generation gap" and which is still in trend in present days: the problem of parent's and their kids, the problem of giving-or-not-giving the freedom and a right to make own choices to children by overly-careful parents. In addition, the film raised the issue of freedom of the choice of a teacher's teaching techniques. It wasn't allowed and it is still not allowed to teach by the extraordinary ways in many institutions.

John Keating, trying to reach every student professes quite unusual classes. He does not deprive his students of the right to do whatever make[s] them pleased, thus he got the confidence of students. Is it right that the schools implemented a strict subordination within the framework of the lessons? How to develop human willpower, a strength of soul, freedom, desire to find yourself?

These are and many other questions raised in this film and what makes this movie special and causes delight and admiration of the audience. And the life-line of heroes »Carpe diem» becomes the formula for success, harmony and the search for themselves as for the heroes of the film, and for spectators simultaneously.

Teacher's note: Thank you, author, for noting all the profound questions raised by "Dead Poets Society" I think this is one reason why this film has become such a classic. Any parent (myself included) knows the struggle of how best to raise a child to give him or her a good start in life, and it seems there is no correct answer. In the end, it's up to each of us to make our own way into the world. I personally believe that there is much to admire in Keating and his willingness to inspire creative and free thinking among his students. I can also see how doing this can scare the bejesups out of some parents, especially Neil Perry's dad, who worked so hard so that Neil could be just like him. Too bad Neil had other ideas. Thanks for an amazing post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :geek:
akerke

Postby Aibar » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Brilliant!!! what is brilliant you may ask, but I'll answer you: everything!!! Robin William's role and how rising stars such as Ethan Hawk, Robert Sean Leonard made their debut unforgettable.

Some words about the movie. In short, I like this movie because of its unrepeatable scenario. Mr. Keating is a new teacher who has his own methodology of teaching which includes some aspects of psychology (in my opinion, of course). He makes his students believe that they should live now and use their juvenile time to make their dream become true.

Everything goes ok until one student commits suicide. This moment is so sad and it changes the whole movie. The end of the movie, we can see that student[s] still admire Mr. Keating. The scene where students stand on the table and scream: "O, captain, my captain!", might be the most climatic moment.

Carpe diem, everybody!!!)

Score by Laib' scale: 4 of 4) :D :D :D

Teacher's note: Glad this author enjoyed "Dead Poets Society." As for Neil Perry's suicide, I wonder if this author feels that Mr. Keating should accept some of the blame for it? If you were Neil's dad, how would you feel? I like how the movie does not judge, but only observes, and leaves it for us to draw our own conclusions. Thanks for an insightful post. Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll just step away for a while and seize the day.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
Aibar

Postby Molly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:27 am

A very big part of our happiness is finding our mission. Unfortunately, I don't know the person among my surroundings who has found it. But I know the character. The blessed one, who was lucky to find his purpose in youth. It was Neil Perry. And, unfortunately, his father wasn't that person who believe in true mission. He believed in a successful career and an impeccable education. These are important things, but they are not enough to be truly happy. Neil knew it, he felt it. What a pity that he has not found strength to fight.

In film we have another two person, who was blessed to find their mission. The first, of course, the great teacher Mr. Keating. He didn't only teach, he inspired. I am sure, Keating's influence will have profound effect for the rest of student's life. They will never forget how to seize the day.

The second person was Todd. In my opinion, He will become the great poet or the English teacher like Keating. I believe that even after many years ago, nearly each day in his life something will come up-some mental image, some admonition that will make him think of Keating.

Teacher's note: OMG what an on-the-mark essay, "Finding Our Mission." This is exactly what makes me sad like nothing else when I see a young person who has no idea what drives him or her, what gets them out of bed in the morning, what their passion is. In Neil's case the problem was just the opposite. His dad was too blind to see that his son had discovered his passion. Tragic.

I'm not sure what would have become of Todd, the one who finally found his strength. But we all know what became of Ethan Hawke, the actor who plays Todd. DPS turned out to be the vehicle which launched his acting career and allowed him to become the major movie star he is today. I wonder if any of the ideas in DPS had a direct influence on young Hawke? Thanks, author, for an awesome post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :o
Molly

Postby The3TG » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:42 pm

First it was touching to watch a movie of my childhood favorite actor for the first time after he's gone. Classic movie embracing the idea of thinking out of the box and being creative just like the methods Mr Keating took teaching his students and inspiring them to chase their dreams.

He had a creative way of linking poems to reality and that is where he got his students passion. Doing things in an atypical extraordinarily way always gets opposition from typical people and what Mr Keating taught his students is not to give up no matter what and not to let anyone kill your creativity and mind freedom.
The3TG

Postby Fawziah » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:36 am

Of course I do agree with believes in dreams, but not foolish dreams because there is no foolish dreams. Dreams are what people living for, and what they trying to do all their life. If people love something and dream about it, they will do it in perfect way.

Professor McAllister encourages Neil to do what he want, although his father opposition, which is hard for Neil to tackled.
The moral divisions set up between characters are childishly overdrawn; and, worst of all, the behavior shown by the boys and adults frequently of falsity and contrivance.
Fawziah

Postby abanumay » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:43 am

First. In my opinion I everyone has dreams and one day they want to reach it so I disagree with this idea because those students dreams are not foolish because these dreams are what they really want to be and it's good to have a dreams and try to make it real.
Second, Professor McAllister helped Neil to do what he want doesn't matter how his father disagree with him and it was hard for hime to Express himself.However, In my opinion carpe diem means seize the day It encourages student to reach their dreams and do what they want to do not them parents or the society and keep your dreams.

:geek: :geek:
abanumay

Return to Movie Reports