O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? (Mike)

Postby HenriqueTeixeira » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:59 am

Hello, everyone! :D

How does this story represent the South?
The two aspects of the movie that can be related to the south are: first, the way that people on the movie speak. Using a lot of expressions and different ways to pronounce some words. Likely to happen in all major countries. For example, since I came to United States and start living with people from all states of Brazil, because of the "Brazilian Scientific Mobility Program", sometimes I do not understand what they are trying to say, because of the difference in accents . Second, the soundtrack. Folk is a music style that started in the southern united states and is very important for their citizens. I liked a lot the music responsible to freed them from jail.

How does this story compare with the Odyssey and The Wizard of Oz?
Unfortunately, I have never seen Odyssey before. So, I'm gonna talk about just the relation between "O brother, where art thou?" and '' Wizard of Oz''. Both movies happened in the southern United States. Actually, this part of the country is the most traditional part of the country. Even thought, the country has been transformed because of the capitalism, its traditions remain untouchables. That is why most of the citizens of these states are so proud to have been born there.

How do Everett, Pete, and Delmar change during the course of the story?
All of them became better people after all the adventures that they had. In addition, they were responsible to save the life of a black guy from the the racist group called Ku Klux Klan. Everett reconquered his wife and showed to his kids that he was capable to be a successful person just like yours wife ex-boyfriend. It seems that Peter and Delmar will no longer commit any crime, since the three prisoners got a dream job singing folk music. Definitely, the relationship between them increased a lot.

Write a setup/opinion of O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?.
It is a good movie. I need to admit that at the very start I was not very interested on the movie. However, when the adventures started to appear, I really have fun seeing the movie. It is a movie that I will recommend for those who want to learn a little bit more about the history and culture of U.S.
HenriqueTeixeira

Previous

Return to Movie Reports