[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - PONYO (Mike)

PONYO (Mike)

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

PONYO (Mike)

Postby maikuu » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:50 pm

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: PONYO (Mike)

Postby Mohammadu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:34 pm

Sosuke is a 5 year old boy who is living with his mother Lisa in a cliff,Sosuke is shown to be kind and lovable and he cares so much about the people in his world. Ponyo and Sosuke changed each other through the adventures they went through, and they have learned how to love people and help them. I think ponyo is a very lovable character, because she is innocent and pure, and the movie was entertaining and also had a purpose.

Teacher's note: Thanks for being the first to post about Ponyo, a personal favorite. This post is very concise and clear. I would like to read a little more detail.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :geek:
Mohammadu

Postby Cathy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi! I'm Cathy from Taiwan.

Young Sosuke is such a precocious boy and he always takes care of the elders just like his mother, Lisa. His father is a captain and they can communicate with each other by using Morse code. Because of love, both young Sosuke and Ponyo change a lot. Sosuke take[s] the responsibility to take care of Ponyo and gives Ponyo's mother his promises. On the other hand, Ponyo gives up her magic power in order to become a human.

I think this movie is not only touching but also inspiring. Hayao Miyazaki might want to remind us to pay attention to the environmental issue through this movie. The ecosystem needs everyone's efforts to keep it balanced and sustainable. Besides of not putting trash into the sea, the fishing strategy should also take into consideration. More importantly, we should find a way to strike a balance between the economic development and ecological preservation.

Teacher's note: Precocious is a good word to describe Sosuke. I haven't watched "Ponyo" in several years, and I forgot how young he is. Since I am raising a daughter, it is interesting to note how Ponyo and Sosuke never grow older, always five years old. At the same time, my daughter gets older. She's no longer five. Movies have this way of reminding us of reality. Thanks for a nice post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :o
Cathy

Postby Sara_alhejazi » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:06 pm

This movie is fictional, but we learned a lot. How to love others and how to maintain them. The movie was talking about a young boy named [Sosuke] and he was 5 years old, he was living with his mother, Lisa, and his father was a captain at sea. Sowski found a goldfish on the beach, he took her and took care of her. Sowski loved her and she also loved him and then he named her Ponyo. Ponyo's father tried to bring her back to the sea, but she returned again to Sowski in the form of humans. Sowski was very happy because Ponyo returned to him, and promised her mother that he will love her and take care of her.

Sowski and Ponyo learned how to take care of each other, and how to help each other to get the point, especially when they were looking for Sowski's mother.

Ponyo was a fighter. In the end, she got what she wanted.

Teacher's note: Thanks for a nice summary. I especially like the last two sentences describing Ponyo as a fighter. IMHO this is exactly true. Remember when she is a fish in the bucket of water, she spits on people to make her point, and she is a helpless little fish. So brave.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :ugeek:
Sara_alhejazi

Postby SHIHO » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:36 pm

Hello, this is Shiho

This movie shows a friendship between a five-year-old boy (Sosuke) and a goldfish (Ponyo).Pony heard that human is enemy of her from her father but her mind changed by meeting Sosuke because Sosuke took care of her with his love. Ponyo came back her home by her father, but she really yearned to be human girl, finally she got a power and she came back to Sosuke as a little girl of human. Sosuke and Ponyo have been a best friend each other. One day, they had to go adventure to find Sosuke's mother. Sosuke became into a brave boy through this experience because he had a responsibility for protecting Ponyo.

This movie shows not only a friendship but also environment problems. In the begging of the movie, you can see that there are a lot of trashes on the bottom of the sea. They were thrown away into the ocean by human and hurt living thing in the sea. You can learn how humans are selfish. I think that Hayao Miyazaki wanted audiences to pay attention current environment issues that we have to solve.

Teacher's note: This post does a good job of examining how Ponyo and Sosuke become friends and what the source of their attraction is. I also like that Shiho notes how Hayao Miyazaki, the director, takes responsibility for reminding us that it is everyone's responsibility to care for the environment, and he does this with personal example. It's so easy to point the finger at others to highlight a problem, but it takes far greater courage to look in the mirror and admit responsibility. We must all do this. Thank you author for a fine post, and thank you Hayao Miyazaki for a fine film.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
SHIHO

Postby Tony » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:49 am

Sousuke's mother, Lisa is care worker, and fother is captain of ship. Sousuke has a lot friendship, older people and school friends. He is so intelligent. He can use Morse Code, and he can communicate with ship.

Next, sousuke and Ponyo change each other. Sousuke makes Ponyo want to be human. Before Ponyo meet Sousuke, she has already wanted to know world that is out of sea, but after that she want to spend life as human. In sousuke'a case, I think he got brave and learned obligation and responsibility.

Finally, I think balance of sea means human recognize the importance of sea and try to protect, and sea gives human blessing.
Tony

Postby Changkyu » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi my name is LEE !
My opinion of PONYO

The movie shows a environment and human. The PONYO and SOSUKA are described as nature and human. I think that Hayao Miyazaki wanted to be a friend with environment and also whole people. And i think the movie wants to show duality of environment as a two way. The first one is tsunami . The tsunami bring about natural disaster. However Hayao Miyazaki portraied tsunami very fictionally and interestingly .

As a result , the PONYO Father said to SOSUKA " Please take care of PONYO" I think that means Humans have to take care of nature and love them , that's up to human.
Changkyu

Postby wonsom » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:25 pm

hello. I'm Wonguk Jeong.

This movie give lesson about not only enviroment pollution but also love between people. In this movie, Sosuke learned how to love people and nature from his parents. Especially Her mother, Lisa, has a job that care for elderly people. So, He can be a freinds with a Ponyo without hesitation. After the being friend, both of childred be changed. Sosuke can learn a resposibility from making a decision that he should protect ponyo. Ponyo also learn a independent spirit from their parents and love.

The another reason why this movie has worth is showing us a sea contamination. It contatins lots of scene shows marine litter in the sea and Ponyo's fathers effort that protect the sea. These scenes send a warning to us. Also, in my opnion, Sosuke(human)'s promise with Ponyo's mother(godness of the sea) that he will protect and love ponyo means that people has a duty to protect the sea.
wonsom

Postby Risaaa » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:12 pm

Movie which is produced by Miyazaki Hayao always show importance of nature. Ponyo and Sosuke changed by approaching each other. At first, Sosuke took care of Ponyo when he found her. Thanks for him, Ponyo could be person, and came back to him. Caring each other changed Ponyo
and Sosuke.
Risaaa

Postby Mimi.t96 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:05 pm

Even though Ghibli movie seems that it will never happen in real world, like goldfish turned to be a human, Ghibli movie always has some massages and lessons to the audience and that is one of their attractions. After watching Ghibli movie, I cannot help but think about the problems that the world or Japan is facing.

In PONYO, I think what Hayao Miyazaki wants to tell us is not only the importance of nature, but also the way to live with nature. As you may know, at first, PONYO's father hates humans because they have destroyed nature and ocean. But what he wanted to do is just keep the balance of nature and protect the ocean that he loves. And at the end of movie, how they solved problem is to admit the love between Sosuke and PONYO. I believe that shows human and nature can liv together if they can love and trust each other.

This story tells us the seriousness of environmental destruction and gives us the chance to know them more through beautiful animation at the same time.
Mimi.t96

Next

Return to Movie Reports