[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - ALMOST FAMOUS (Mike)

ALMOST FAMOUS (Mike)

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

ALMOST FAMOUS (Mike)

Postby maikuu » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:27 am

Select the photo to expand to full size.
Doris.jpg
Doris.jpg (79.52 KiB) Viewed 2501 times
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: ALMOST FAMOUS (Mike)

Postby Tony » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:21 am

My favorite character is Lester Banks. He is real, but I thought he lives in this movie. Because he always advises William, however he also wonder if he should. Therefore I felt sympathetic with him.

In the music world, there are a lot connection[s], drug, sex, groupie and journalists. This movie shows connection[s] between musicians and journalist. Musician should be idol to success business.

My favorite moment is eventually,William wrote [a] lie on paper. He seek[s] what he should do as Stillwater's friend and journalist. As a result, he chooses friendship. This choice lead him to fail, but this moment show[s] friendship and lovely[ness]. Therefore I like this moment.

Teacher's note: Thank you, author for being the first to post at "Almost Famous," one of my all-time favorite movies. I'm afraid I do not understand the "favorite moment" mentioned above. Perhaps it needs to be more clear, and please check for GPS before posting. I spotted a number of oops events. Thanks again for an awesome post!

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :)
Tony

Postby Mohammadu » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:44 am

My favorite character is William's Mother (Elaine Miller), because she is the wisest person in this story. Moreover she does her best to protect William even when she thinks she lost him, thereforeI I respect her.

In the 1970's, the music business has a lot of corrupt and irresponsible rock stars. Almost Famous reveals the sex, drugs, groupies and [their] connection to the music world.

My favorite moment is the end of this movie because Russell arrives at William's house without knowing [where he is],and I thought that [this] was the perfect scene. Almost Famous is a great movie because it's funny and touching; moreover, we can learn a lot of great lessons from it.

Teacher's note: Yes, it's easy to overlook the importance of Elaine Miller, William's mom. She is the moral anchor of the movie, and doesn't hesitate to throw her weight around if needed. I would, argue that Elaine actually changes Russell, a rock star who is probably not easy to change. After everything that happens, how could Russell not change?

I also like how this author is able to understand the sleazy side of the music world, as portrayed in the movie, without glorifying at. At the same time, he is able to feel the love that Almost Famous copiously projects. Thanks for a cool post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
Mohammadu

Postby Risaaa » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:20 am

I really like this movie. I am interested in rock music, so i demanded this movie. I like the scene that everybody sing[s] Tiny Dancer in the bus. This scene makes me excited.

My favorite character is William. First, He is smart. The sentence that he wrote was very excellent, so that he can get work in Rolling Stones. He could be journalist in spite of his age. Second, he is pure. He loves Penny Lane. He always see[s] her, but he can't say his feeling. Penny has sex with some guys. he was standing in front of her room.

He didn't say anything, just he was crying. This is the first time he cried in this movie. When penny is dying, finally he said truth. He said nothing further to Penny. He really loved Penny. I want to be like him.

Teacher's Note: For me, there are so many amazing scenes, it's hard to choose one. But for sure, the "Tiny Dancer" scene is especially poignant, especially when Penny tells William, "You are home." Besides the obvious, this carries a deeper subtext that 15-year-old William has already found his calling in life. If only we could all be so lucky in life. Thanks for an insightful post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com 8-)
Risaaa

Postby Changkyu » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:09 pm

My favorite character in this movie is Penny Lane. I like her because she is so pure for music and Russell. She is one of the big fan of Stillwater. And she also love[s] Rock n roll.

I think Rock n roll means the dream of Penny. And Moroco means the real world of Penny. Penny give[s] up the real world and then follow[s] the dream with stillwater. During the travel with stilwater, she fall[s] in love with Russell.

Eventually Penny is abandoned from Russell. After that, Penny goes to Newyork to visit Russel but he pretends not to know even though [he is] watch[ing] her. Finally Penny go[es] back to San Diego for 'real worl'. William tell[s] her "See you back in [the] real worl" before she get[s on] the airplane. That was my favorite momoent of this movie as well.

Teacher's Note: Thanks for writing a cool profile of Penny. Even though she could be judged as less than virtuous by some, it's hard not to like a person of such a pure heart. Poor Russell has no idea what he has in her, or he would treat her better. Then again, Penny would probably not stay with Russell under any circumstance since he is her "last project" before Morocco. I was kind of surprised when, in New York, she seems to be really in love with Russell, so much so that she nearly succeeds in killing herself. Such are the mysteries of the heart.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :o
Changkyu

Postby wonsom » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:06 pm

Wille (Wonguk Jeong)

In my opinion, most attractive character is William, because he purely loves people and music. He knows what he likes, and he keeps advancing. Although he is just 15 years old, he endeavors to be a journalist. Surely He have been in adversity, since is not professional and inexperienced. Nonetheless, He gradually [becomes] a professional. He unburdens of mother's scold and be[comes an] adult.

This movie also reveals the reality of musician, so they are just a human. They enjoy the deviation, but they have family and want to protect that. Furthermore, this movie shows the price of the fame by famous magazine. That is, music world is controlled by capital and some famous critic [Lester Bangs] and magazine. This movie expresses this world as circus.

Teacher's Note: William, of course, is the central character of the story (I think), so we get to know him very well. I like how he doesn't allow himself to be pushed around in spite of the seductive environment he finds himself immersed in. In the end he writes what he sees, and this makes him a true journalist. Thanks for a cool post. "It's all happening."

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :cry:
wonsom

Postby Sara_alhejazi » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:43 pm

My favorite character is William's mom, because she was trying too hard to maintain her sons from anything could hurt them. Even when William went with the band and lied on his mom about the tests and graduation, his mother has been always trying to contact him to make sure he is okay. And when her daughter returned, which left her and gone, she greeted her with all the love.

This movie explained what is the meaning of the life for members of the band, it's a mad life where their lives revolve around drugs and girls and admirers.

My favorite moment in the movie, when everyone admitted what he did and they exchange charges, because they believe that the plane will fall and they will die, where it explains that even their lives with each other was a disaster.

Teacher's Note: Finally, someone chooses Elaine "the voice on the other end of the phone." When Russell does meet her, he gets the full measure of her mind, especially after how he has treated William. The plane scene is for sure the most intensely funny and revealing as all the secrets come out. I think this is how it would really happen. We all want to die with a clear conscience, don't we? Thanks for a clear post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
Sara_alhejazi

Postby Emika Kanazawa » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Hi. I am Emika. I enjoyed this movie and many songs.

My favorite character is Penny Lane. This is because she is like herself. She is probably younger than me. However, she decided to follow the band by herself. Also, she decided to go to Mongolia. She did something for any reason.

I like the last scene. Penny told Russell about William's phone number. Then they met each other. Especially i like the last interview. Through the travel with the band, Willam grew up and he got mature as an interviewer. From this scene, i saw his growth.

This movie includes a lot of songs. I like songs so this movie was fascinating. Songs are old ones. Listening to them is good opportunity for me. However, i could not understand what this movie means. Does this movie have any massages to us?
Emika Kanazawa

Postby SHIHO » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:37 pm

Hello, this is Shiho.
My favorite character is William's mom because I could see ordinary mothers' trouble in her character and her superlative love to her children. She was nagging because she wanted to protect her children from something could effect negatively to them but the action came from the mother's love. This trouble was reality and interesting.

I like the way of living of characters in this movie because they did what they wanted to and they tried to come true their dreams even though they had some risks.

My favourite moment in this movie is when William and his sister came back home and the family got together because I can see their happiness and confidences.
SHIHO

Postby Foton » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:50 pm

My favorite character in the movie is Penny Lane. I like her and she is changed William's behavior and she always tried to not hurts him. Also, she showed us in the movie how she loves the music ' Rock and Roll'. In the end of the movie she made Russel went to William's house after what happened between them.

The movie was tolking about the real live of musicians and their difficulty. It was incredible. My favorite moment in the movie, when the band were in the plane, and they think they will die.
Foton

Next

Return to Movie Reports