AMERICAN BEAUTY

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: AMERICAN BEAUTY

Postby dr.musleh.dent » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:18 pm

Janie hates her parents because they always ignore her and fight in front of her.

Carolyn fears to be a victim. and I think Rickie fears of being disappointed. He is a good person, but because that his father tries to protect him over than what he should; his father loses him.

My opinion is that this movie presents the dark side of America by ironic title. the freedom does not mean being cheap.
dr.musleh.dent

Postby julie » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:24 am

He thinks that he died already because his life is not exciting and he does not satisfied with his life at all. Feeling which is waiting for being death body without any happiness sounds really boring. He gets will-less about not only relationship with family but also anyone who is related with him. He feels that the happiest moment has already gone. By the time he thought that everything became sedated, he fell in love with Angela who is a friend of his daughter. Everything got changed from that moment … .

What is a real beauty for us? Are we really enjoying this moment which are given by God? This movie gets close to characters by approaching various sides and it makes us think about the true beauty of one’s life. Person who care of only rational cognition of beauty is easy to lose emotional happiness and for person who chases emotional beauty, they neglect rationality.

"American Beauty" does not give any directions but let us recognise both beauty are not wrong. “You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure.But don't worry... you will someday.”. According to Lester’s last words, we are surrounded by happiness and beauty which we can not realise how important it is. We never know before it disappear from us. So, look closer what you already have before complaining of what you do not have yet.
julie

Postby wonsom » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:02 am

Jane doesn't respect her parents, Because they do not mind fighting and quarreling in front of her. Also, she missed parental love. Also, she discovered her father's attitude to her friend, Angela.

Lester regrets about his life that is lack of freedom. So, he had resigned the company and got a part-time job. And he design a new purpose, making a muscle. It means, he got a new goal and change the view of life. That is a Angela, a girl, who afraid of being normal. So, she always try to be a special. She had a sexual relationship with old men who has a power for being special.
wonsom

Postby engomarq8 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:28 am

Q1: I think the first reason that Janie hates her parents because her parents always ignore her all the times. They do not care about her and all they care is money especially her mother. In addition, her father flirts her friend. Also, they always arguing and quarreling on trivial reasons.

Q2: Carolyn fears being a victim, Angela fears about being ordinary , Rickie wants to be free man and he fears about the rules of his father and Frank fears of his son and because he has a problem, we would not his son be a gay.

Q3: For sure, they must blame his wife " Carolyn " because she never care for her husband. she is quarreling with him on anything and without any reason . She does not spend a lovely time with him. She prefers money than spend a little time with her husband.

Q4: Actually in general the film made me very sad especially in the last of the movie. I do not like to see a family was disintegrated by stupid reasons which is causing a terrible things as I've seen. I know that there are a lot of family problems but, I hate the causes that lead to the disintegration of family. :cry: :x
engomarq8

Postby SungMin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:03 pm

At the end of the movie, Lester Burnham is killed by Colonel Frank Fitts shoots at him. Nobody knows really what goes on until the last scenes of the movie. Even though Colonel Frank Fitts killed Lester Burnham, the fault of this murder could fall in Jane Burnham and Ricky Fitts. The reason the police would blame any or both of them would be because of all of the recorded evidence. In one scene, Jane talks about if Ricky could kill her father, but after Ricky stops recording, they both know its a joke. This tape could be misinterpreted by the police easily because the video would show the intention of killing even though it wasn't true. The mother of Jane would also be to put to blame for a little while because she had a gun but never shot it.
SungMin

Previous

Return to Movie Reports