[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

Postby maikuu » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:23 pm

DevilWearsPrada.gif
DevilWearsPrada.gif (2.08 MiB) Viewed 2985 times

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

Postby mjonmovie » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:22 pm

Describe the fashion industry as you see it in the movie?
Fashion industry seems like a place which is hard to survive. Everybody cares about what they’re looked like, and everybody get[s] stressed. Also, fashion industry is very ruthless as they kicked out if someone is not extremely good at their job.

Write a summary/opinion of THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA.
Andrea Sachs who wants to become a journalist, got no answers from any press, but Runway magazine. After the first meeting with Miranda Priestly, boss of Runway, she became a second assistant of Miranda. being Miranda’s assistant is what a million girls would kill for, but not Andy, because she has no idea about fashion and how much Runway is famous. The problem is that Miranda is terribly ruthless and merciless, and also, the first assistant Emily Charlton made fun of Andy. Everyday, Miranda asks Andy to do absurd things, but Andy figures it out with an art director Nigel’s help. Gradually, she’s getting used to fashion industry and doing excellent job as Miranda’s assistant. But, as she is getting become a part of Runway and get Miranda’s trust, Andy and her boyfriend’s relationship is getting destroyed because she is too busy to care both work and love. But finally, she finds what is important for her life, so she decides to leave Runway.

I am touched because of some lessons that this movie gave me. First, I should do my best to be acknowleged. I should know that I really did my best before I whimper. Second, I should know which one is most important for my life. Third, I shouldn't be such a peacock when I got something really nice. I should know who I am, what I am.

That's all

Teacher's note: Great opening post! I like how this author recognizes that Nigel is possibly Andy's one true friend at Runway. This is a good effort at summary although I recommend be careful with time reference. I like to use present tense in the narrative, but past tense is perfectly OK. I also like how this author is positively affected by "The Devil Wears Prada." Good work.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :lol:
mjonmovie

Postby Emika Kanazawa » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:04 pm

1. The fashion industry seems fun but that's not always true. People who work at the kind of places always have to care about the fasion trend because it constantly changes.

3. At first, Andy did not care about her appearance at all because she was not interested in that kind of stuff. But she came to wear fashionable clothes as the movies is near the end. Also, at the beginning of this movie, her attitude toward Miranda was strong. As she work with Miranda, she gets to know about herself. Then finally she quit her job.

5. In this movie, the strength of women was mainly expressed. As we know Miranda is strong, Emily and Andy were strong-minded. They try to be themselves. They have their own thought. It seems a little arrogant seemingly though. I want to be like them. Also, I like the scene that Andy threw away her cell phone. Be talking with Miranda in a car, Andy realized what she really wants to do. I think we need to know myself and pursue what we wanna do.

Teacher's note: Good point about the talk in the car. When Miranda points out that Andy has become like her, Andy sort of freaks out because she has become the devil too. Well, if you see the movie, you'll know what comes next, but you won't read it hear. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted: :twisted:
Emika Kanazawa

Postby Risaaa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:42 am

At first, I imagined [that the] fashion industry is gorgeous, and every girl admires that. However, as I watched this movie, I felt I don't want to work there. The job is tough. We have to care about our clothes, shoes, and accessory every day. Moreover, I may be stressed by pressure of boss. every worker rushed up. This job is hard to continue in the future.

Andy couldn't work well at the beginning. In addition to, she was pushed difficult work by Emily and Miranda. Sometimes she was mad because they are selfish. in the end, she was working well, and she helped them.

These scene was exciting. But I don't like this movie, because she had sex with other guy in Paris. She abandoned her work. After going back to NY, she got back with her boy friend. That is stupid. We can't do this in this world.

Teacher's note: OK, let's talk about the sex. Andy hooks up with Christian in a moment of extreme weakness. Should we blame her? She just broke up with Nate. She's alone and lost in Paris. She's at the mercy of a man she barely knows. And she perhaps just experienced the most amazing night of her life. She must be walking on a pink cloud. Poor girl, so vulnerable at this moment. And Christian, of course, moves in for the slaughter. I can't really blame Andy. She's way over her head.

When "The Devil Wears Prada" was being written and filmed, I wonder if the director and writer(s) debated over this scene? It is a pivotal moment for Andy. Will she fall for Christian? She could turn him down, but this is Paris. Oh well, it must have been a tough creative decision. As for getting back with Nate, we don't see a lot of the healing that must have happened between them, but I think it's possible. Thanks for an insightful post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :shock:
Risaaa

Postby SHIHO » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Fashion industry seems like a world which is hard to live [in] because people always have to pay attention to something new and care about what they look like. Also the world is hell for people who are not interested in fashion.

In my opinion, she did not change so much except in terms of appearance. Of course, she worked well as she had the job longer but it was just for the reason that she was getting used to doing the job not for the reason that she changed her any characteristics. For me, she did not change in her characteristic. It is sure that she had no sense of fashion when she took job interview but she tried to wear gorgeous clothes that she never wore before and get lose weight in order to make herself be an appropriate person in the job, it does not mean that she became arrogant or person who liked something expensive.

Her change in appearance was for beating herself not for being favorite person of her boss. She has had a confidence and said that she would survive for at least one year in the job since she applied for the job. I think that the confidence and the promise that she promised with herself made her know that she was going to be defeated herself if she would not be an appropriate person in the job by changing appearance so I think that her change in her appearance was not for her change of her characteristic.

I have watched this movie for three times including this class. I love this movie because I can see many adorable clothes that I would not wear in my life and the story makes me look forward to seeing next scene as soon as possible. Thank you for giving an opportunities to watch it again:)

Teacher's note: So glad you like the movie. I agree that the story moves along pretty well. There are different arguments for describing the idea of "character arc," how the character changes during the story. So, does Andy really change, or is she always really the same person, and only something superficial changes, a surface layer, but not Andy's deeper self.

Such arguments have been made for Rick's character (Humphrey Bogart) in "Casablanca" for a long time. Does Rick really change, or is he always the same guy who only wears a facade to protect his pain? When the pain goes, the facade goes, and we see the real Rick. Thanks, author, for raising a good question.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :)
SHIHO

Postby Changkyu » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:21 pm

First Andy was not fency and good looking and even she didn't know what Runway is. But throughout the course she's changed gradually. She was influenced by Emily, Miranda and herself. She wanted to [be] credited for everything and be outright and faithful assistant. However she lost her boyfriend because of work.

I watched this movie two times before. Everytime i wathed, I'm admired because everyone wants to be quick to adabt in company and also society. But obviously it isn't easy thing. However Andy demonstraed herself didn't avoid.

Teacher's note: First, we need to remind ourselves to check for GPS. There are several quick fixes in this post. This concise post hits on some good points. good work.

Changkyu

Postby Mohammadu » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:44 pm

The fashion industry is a world filled with a very hard and stressful routine; to the point where the people who work in it barely have time for their personal life, and loved ones. So it is hard to survive under the heavy pressure of the industry.

Andy as a smart girl, transformed her stress and anger into a shield from Emily, so later on she didn't care how Emily treated her. In the beginning, Andy was a bit surprised when she started working with Emily because Emily criticized Andy's appearance and her lack of knowledge about the runway magazine.

However, Andy learned how to become a professional assistant through the tough situations that she had to go through because of Miranda, and she even surpassed Emily with her unique ability to adapt. However, she had to give all of that away because she thought that she had become a different person, and more like Miranda.

I liked The Devil Wears Prada because I have learned new facts about the fashion and business world. However, I feel that it would be a waste of time if I watch it ever again, so watching this movie once in a life time is enough for me.

Teacher's note: A precise and easy-to-follow setup is provided by this author. It's true that not every movie is for everybody, and I appreciate this author's honesty in admitting that this film, while most informative of the lifestyle within the world of fashion, is not his "cup of tea". Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :oops:
Mohammadu

Postby Mimi.t96 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Fashion industry is very competitive world. Someone is always trying to steal your position or job. So people in fashion industry have to be creative more than anybody and show it off to the world in order to be recognised. Because trend is changing moment by moment, people need to create new things so that they can lead others, not follow them. Therefore, those people need true passionate toward fashion. They often give up on their private, such as family, friends, and love in order to be in this industry. I feel that people cannot trust anybody, but they have to believe in themselves as we saw between Miranda and Nigel. They cannot live without effort.

I think It was a good experience for Andy to know herself more. She thought she was not the fashion person and different from others. However, she started forgetting what was important in her life, and who she used to be. However, when she got responsibility about other people's, she rethought of her life and decided to quick the assistant. Runway taught her the importance to make a action by herself.

That's all. (ha-ha-ha)

Teacher's note: Ah, we got another "That's all" response. Can anyone deny that Meryl Streep may well be most remembered for this line. It should go down as one of the most famous quotes (and shortest famous quote) in film history. Can you think of any other lines? I'll get you started with a couple.

"We're not in Kansas anymore."
"Play it again Sam." (actually a famous misquote)
"I coulda' been a contender."

Can you name the movies? Now it's your turn. That's all. (g-r-r-r-r)

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
Mimi.t96

Postby Saud97 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Questions
1-Describe the fashion industry as you see it in the movie?
2-How does Andy react when Emily treats her badly?
3-How does Andy change throughout the course of this story?
4-Write a summary/opinion of THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA.

Answers
1-Its hard and you have to catch up on the latest trends. You have to create new fabric and the boss dictates the next move.

2-Andy didn't care about the bad treatment she got from Emily. Her reaction was normal and later on they became friends.

3-At first she was a normal journalist who didn't care about her appearance. Then she started working in the fashion industry and she transformed into an expert in fashion. She was like some sort of model. Her views changed on fashion and her life was hard because she didn't have time for her personal life.

4-Andy just-graduated in journalism and is hired to work as the second assistant of the powerful and sophisticated Miranda Priestly, the ruthless executive of the Runway fashion magazine. Andy dreams to become a journalist and faces the opportunity as a temporary professional challenge. The first assistant Emily advises Andrea about the behavior of their cruel boss, and the stylist Nigel helps Andy to dress more fashionable for the environment. Andy changes her attitude and behavior, affecting her private life and the relationship with her boyfriend Nate, her family and friends. In the end, Andy learns that life is made of choices.

Teacher's note: I love the last thing this author wrote, . . . about life and choices. I think this is exactly right. Thank you, author for a generous contribution to "The Devil Wears Prada.".

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
Saud97

Postby sei » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:20 am

People who work in the magazine company, they look so passionate of their work but they are superficial as well.
Andy tried to make Miranda feel satisfaction of Andy.

She started to pay attention to her looks but it doesn't mean that she became a person who is superficial, but she become a person who understand others' passion of fashion and recognize how to express herself by wearing fancy clothes.

I think this is really a good movie because it succeeded to make me understand all of the main characters even they are bad and mean. For example, at first Miranda looks like a mean boss to Andy. But actually it is just doing her work perfectly for Miranda and even she bothered Andy on purpose, she had the reason that she did not want to show her weakness to others but Andy saw it. (not a peaceful family)

Teacher's note: First, the GPS factor. Let's be sure and check for our best editorial excellence before posting. That said, I especially like how this author gets inside the heads of the characters. The author seems to know what the characters are thinking. The makers of "The Devil Wears Prada" would probably appreciate this, as I do. Thanks for a nice post.

sei

Next

Return to Movie Reports