[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - THE HUNGER GAMES

THE HUNGER GAMES

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

THE HUNGER GAMES

Postby maikuu » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:50 pm

mockingjay.gif
mockingjay.gif (1.1 MiB) Viewed 4060 times
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: THE HUNGER GAMES

Postby SungMin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:38 pm

The Hunger Games is an annual society game that the objective is to show the sacrifice and honor of the war. There are two people, female and male age 12-18, that will need to participate for each of the 12 districts, making a total of 24 contestants or tributes. The reason of the game existing was because of a war that happened 74 years ago. The games would show the people that going against the government is not a good idea and it should never be repeated. The games show and represent fear for the districts because nobody knows who will be the tribute for the annual game.

Luckily, Katniss Everdeen, a caring, warm, and compassionate person, volunteers after her sister got chosen. Later, she gets to meet Peeta Melark, her partner. As the game proceeds, a lot of brutal deaths happen; sponsors help them get through their injuries and survive the games. At the end, the love story of Katniss and Peeta make them win the Hunger Games that year.

Teacher's note: The first post for "Hunger Games" does a good job of setting up the story and the two main characters. I like how this author indicates the twisted logic of the Panem government when it's true logic is to dominate the outer districts and their resources. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :ugeek:
SungMin

Postby Mohammadu » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:44 pm

The hunger games is an annual event that takes place in a nation called Panem. Thus, a human sacrifice from each district between the age of 12-18 must be abducted for the hunger games. According to Gale Hawthorne, the hunger games exist because the viewers want a good show. Moreover, President Coriolanus Snow believes that only a little hope is effective as long as it is contained.

Therefore, we can relate to this movie in our real world, today in some countries there are dictators whom violate human rights like how President Snow abducted the people from the districts into his game.

However, Katniss Everdeen is a kind person who cares for her sister deeply, For example, when her little sister is chosen to fight in the games, Katniss volunteers to take her place in the games. and this shows the strong bonds between the two sisters.

This is the first time I saw any of The Hunger Games movies, and I must say that it was a surprising and a unique story plot, their president is a cruel old man that wants to see people die just so that the viewers can have fun. Moreover, the president gives excuses to why the games exist, and it does not make any sense. I liked this movie because it has an interesting turn of events with a very admiring main character.

Teacher's note: This setup takes a more direct approach at describing the evil intentions of President Snow and Panem. I like the description of the caring relationship between the two sisters. I think that President Snow's intentions for the games are more than just "having fun." It's actually designed as part of the subjugation effort, and it seems to work pretty well. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
Mohammadu

Postby Tony » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:58 am

The hunger game is the biggest event in that would. It is held once a year, and that is the game in which players kill each other to survive. That would is consisted of 12 districts and capital. Then the gap between 12 districts and capital is so big, but that world does not have war. That is one reason why the game is held. City people enjoy the hunger game as a show, and government regard[s] it as opportunity to show district people their power. The government integrate that world by giving city people hobby and exiting event, and make district people be scared and lose ideology like try to against to government.

I have watched this movie once, so I know what happen in the last. I think that is good.

Teacher's note: As always, I remind caution with GPS when posting. This author clearly describes the geopgraphic aspect of Panem. thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com ;)
Tony

Postby SHIHO » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:24 pm

Hunger game is nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains. This movie is fiction but the point that rich people(countries) enjoy their lives even though they know how poor people (countries) suffer from poverty is similar to the real world.

I think that Katniss Everdeen from district 12 is the most unsuitable for hunger game. Although she has abilities to survive in harsh environment, she cannot kill people. If she kill[s] people with her hands, she cannot help feeling heartache or sadness.

I usually don't try to watch action movies unless someone recommend them so thank you so much for giving me the chance to watch this movie! I want to see the other series!

Teacher's note: Good job at describing Katniss' inner conflict. It appears that some of the current contestants have no trouble partaking in the bloodbath, especially those from the inner districts (one and two). I'm happy to have the opportunity to introduce this author to "The Hunger Games." I think you'll like all four movies. "May the odds be ever in your favor."

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
SHIHO

Postby Emika Kanazawa » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:14 pm

This movie expresses the world of the survival of the fittest. That world is similar to the real world. Some of people can survive, but the others cannot. Also, we have to live by ourselves. In this movie, even though they can cooperate with other tributes, they have to make a decision by themselves.

[Katniss] is strong. She has an iron will. However, she always take care of her sister so she has a kind aspect.

I enjoyed this movie. However, I do not usually chose this kind of movies because there are a lot of thrilling scenes. I do not really like a film that many people are killed. But I like the main character, Katniss Everdeen. She has a strong will unlike me. She is courageous. I love her. Also, I thought Peeta would die but it was wrong. So, I was relieved to hear two people can survive. I want to watch the last part of this movie soon.

Teacher's note: I'm glad this author gave "The Hunger Games" a chance even though it is not her favorite film genre. I hope that she will watch the other three films as well. Thanks for a solid post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
Emika Kanazawa

Postby Mimi.t96 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Hunger game is basically survival and only one person from all districts. It is organised by noble and they spend massive money to have this game.

I think that Hunger game shows issues of this actual world. Nowadays, the gap between rich and poor is huge and those rich people control this world. In hunger game, people in the village are the poor class and they do not even have the right to against this game. Money is everything and people in high class do not care about killing people because they are just like toys for those rich people. They are the same people but their possession and status make them live different world. To make money, to kill someone from the village is not the big deal for them.

This game is obviously the lack of humanity and compassion, it seems desperate. But the thing is because this is happening in around the world that we live, I feel that the we need to understand the massage that this movie wants to tell.
Mimi.t96

Postby Risaaa » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Hanger game is held once a year. This game exist to enjoy noble families. It is like entertainment. Every players are poor people, so they think player's life is not big deal.
Katniss became a player to save her sister. She is kind to her sister. However, in the game, she did anything to win. For example, she kissed Peeta because she want to receive noble's support. She want to win seriously. In addition, she is cleaver. She avoid to fight.

Actually, I do not like this movie. It is like cruel movie. When I was watching, I got tense. And also, Little girl was died, and I was sad.
Risaaa

Postby afj8909 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:11 pm

The film "Hunger Games" reflects our world like "The strong people can survive, the weak people can't survive." No one can deny this truth.

Katniss is a generous woman. She cares about her sister and friends. She is strong and good at shooting.

Rich people like watching the game. This game is just for their fun. This game is similar to gladiator in Rome.

This film is very different from real life. If any game like "Hunger Game" exists in this world, many people may blame it. The battle scene is very interesting. But, if this game exists, I will fear of it.
afj8909

Postby sei » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:48 pm

In the country of The Hunger Games, people have different positions up to their districts. And central district dominate the other 12 districts. This situation is little more extreme than our socities but it is a tually happening. Peopl who are rich dominate others who are not and the rich pass down their money. Also the poor have no choice but to pass down their poverty. It happens invisiblely but more seriously in our societies.

And rge director wants to point out these social problems with the movie. People said young girls and boys are too cruel and strange who easily killed others in hunger games. However, people who enjoy those strage games as an entertainment are more cruel than the players. Because they were fighting for survival. It shows us how our societies are cruel and they are too competed. I liked this movie very much because i can think and compare with our real societies and the movie.
sei

Next

Return to Movie Reports