[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - NIM'S ISLAND

NIM'S ISLAND

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

NIM'S ISLAND

Postby maikuu » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:29 am

BookCover.jpg
Book Cover for Nim's Island
BookCover.jpg (49.88 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: NIM'S ISLAND

Postby Risaaa » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:11 pm

1, Nim does not go to school because she lives [on] an island which nobody knows. At first, she climbs tree and cut[s] a fruit to play soccer with Sea Lion [Selkie]. She can have conversation with animals. Of course, she can cook by using ingredients are grown this place. It is usual for her to eat Meal warms. Before she goes to bed, Nim and her dad, Jack, read favorite book "Alex Foster" Finally She sleeps. It is her routine.

2,Alex Rover is hero in adventure book. He is [an] imaginary person. He can overcome any difficulties even if it is tough. Alexandra Rover who really exists is a writer, and she created Alex Rover who is hero of book. Compare to Alex Rover in book, she is sensitive and indoor. She never had adventure before like him. However, a Common point between Alex and Alexandra is that they have a brave heart.

3, I cannot live on island because I do not have skill of survive. The scene that Nim's family has Mac to contact others was so interesting. I guessed life of island is more wild. Moreover, I cannot eat insects.

This movie is kind of adventure. I have never tried this one. I had a good time.

Teacher's note: Thanks for giving us a good "heads up" on "Nim's Island," one of my favorite family-style films of recent time. As this writer points out, Nim's life seems rather romantic and adventurous on the surface, but in reality it must be quite dangerous and lonely. The only hint we get of her loneliness is when she meets Edmund, the boy from Brisbane. Thanks also for being first to post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :lol:
Risaaa

Postby lu0102 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:15 pm

1.Just like fairy tales, Nim lives on a small island with her dad who is a scientist. Nim doesn’t need to go to school. She learns the knowledge from the nature and her animal friends. And she can access the internet to get in touch with outside world. She is more mature than her peers.

2. Nim is reading an adventure novel recently. Alex Rover is a hero in this adventure novel which [was] written by Alexandra.

3. Living on a small island like Nim is a really miracle and exciting thing. I want to experience it so long as I can hold on to myself.

4.My opinion of NIM'S ISLAND
Everyone in the story had an adventure. Nim saved the island and Alexandra, the famous adventure writer who was agoraphobic. Alexandra saved herself from the agoraphobic trouble. Nim’s dad saved himself from the lost in the sea. Even the animals saved the human beings. Nim and her dad have protected not only the island but also their dreams without clamor and material desires. No matter how dangerous the environment is, the most difficult adventure is self-challenge. Everyone could be his own hero if he never give up and overcome his weaknesses. :)

Teacher's note: I love this author's opinion that everyone in "Nim's Island" has an adventure, and so should we! Great job.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
lu0102

Postby Emika Kanazawa » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:06 pm

2. Alex Rover is the main character of the book, which is written by Alexandrea. Even though he is not real human, he is always with her. He always enourages her to do something. For example, he tries to make her go outside and help Nim. After he tells her to go to Nim and live together, he disappeard. I think he is not only the main character Alexandrea made but also the emotinal support of her. She is alone and she does not want to relate to others, so she relys only him. He witnesses her going to Nim, so he feels that she does not need him enymore because she overcome her shortcomings.

3. I can imagine how beautiful my life would be if i lived in such a amzing island. I would not be distracted by noise or people. However, i would not be able to continue a life there because i cannnot talk with people and use my cellphone. It would be incovenient for me to live there. I cannnot eat a worm!!!

4. I really enjoy lots of beautiful scenes. However, the story is not deep. This movie is not so deep so i thinks it is for children. Also, the story goes fast. i did not imagina Alexandrea would be love with Nim's father. But, i feel nature through this movie! I had fun time.

Teacher's note: I must point out that there are several spelling fixes needed. Before posting, everyone, please remember to check for GPSpelling. I love the way this author expresses how the simplicity of "Nim's Island" keeps it suitable for children, yet somehow an adult can enjoy it, too.

I personally feel that there is much for an adult to appreciate here even if some of the themes are treated lightly. I like how Nim fully embraces her sense of adventure, while Alexandra can only express her sense of adventure through her writing. But in the end, Nim accidentally changes Alexandra for the better, and I think Alexandra reciprocates. Good post!

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D
Emika Kanazawa

Postby Sujin72 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:30 pm

1. Nim is a little girl. She is living on a small island with her father who is a scientist. Nim is learning useful things for living on an island from nature and her animal friends instead of going school. She likes a story about Alex Rover as a hero, and she admires his heroism. She is really enjoying the Nim’s island life!

2. Alex Rover is very interesting character in this movie. He is a hero of an adventure story written by Alexandra Rover. He is a not real, but is a present person in the imagination. He also acted as a great bridge between Nim and Alexandra. Meanwhile, Alex is short for Alexandra, so I think Alex is another part of Alexandra. Before she knows Nim, She couldn’t go outside from her house because she was agoraphobic. Nevertheless, she decided to leave from her house and her country, and she put her decision in action only for saving a little girl, Nim!! Finally, she did it by herself! She reached Nim’s island and she met Nim who needs someone. At that time, I think Alexandra could be integrated with Alex, so she could be who she is.

3. Living on a small island like Nim looks happy and exciting! However, it looks lonely and unsafe at the same time. Until recently, I felt my life here is isolated like an island. It is because my family and my friends are not with me here, they are in a far away country, my hometown. Although there are many people and convenient facilities here, they are unfamiliar to me. However, I believe I will get used to new surroundings in the course of time. I hope that I really enjoy here, my adventure life like Nim and Alexandra!

4. It is a good movie for adults as well as children. I would like to recommend this movie to people who have thought about living on a secret island from far away their lives at least once.

Teacher's note: Hey, I've thought about living on a secret island. Who hasn't? This author definitely has my attention. I like how she points out the positive and negative aspects of island living. This can be true even on a big island. Thanks for a cool post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
Sujin72

Postby Ariel » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:47 pm

This is Ayaka.

1. Nim is 10-year-old girl and enjoys her life in the small island with his father. She has many animal friends and grow up with them. She learns how to survive from her father, animal friends, and some articles. She tresures and loves nature of the island.

2. Alex Rover is a hero of a famous book in the movie. He is traveler. I think he is Nim's ideal person. He is courageous and strong. Nim believes in him as a real person but it is actually not. But although he is a hero from a book, he is still her ideal person and keep encouraging her.

3. I don't think I can enjoy staying in the island. I grew up in capital city so I don't like bags and animals. I don't know how to survive so I will die soon if I have to live there. However, I am jealous of her to enjoy life in such a beautiful nature. Sometimes, I would like to go and feel nature to be reflesh.

4. This movie makes me think about preserve nature beautifully. It is serious problem that human beings destroy nature. Therefore, this movie is good to remind chellishing nature. Also, I don't really like animals but it seems to be fun to be friends of animals. It can be connected to think about preventing animals from dying out. I enjoyed this movie a lot.

Teacher's note: Here is another post with a GPSpelling alert. Getting beyond that, I had fun reading about how a city girl (the author, I think) comes to grips with the idea of island life in a humorous way, and more importantly, her recognition of the "protect the environment" message woven into the story. Thanks for a breezy post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :twisted:
Ariel

Postby Yunlin Yang » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:14 pm

Hello,this is YunLin Yang
There are something I talk about NIM's ISLAND
1,Nim's routine:Nim lives a island with her father,the island far away form cities,there are not schools,supermarkets and anyone else.She doesn't need to go to school,animals from ocean are her friends,they teach Nim how to swim,how to make friends.She names those animals. The most interesting thing is there are long ropes between trees,she can go someplace nearly by sliding.She can She likes reading,especially adventure books. Although she lives in a small island,she knows many places by reading.

2,Alex Rover:Alex Rover is a character of a book.He is an adventurer in the book. This book is written by Alexandra Rover who is an adventure writer.However,Alexandra Rover has a problem of psychology, [be]cause she can not go outside. She writes this book and this character,maybe it encourage herself to adventure and overcome difficulties.

3.If I lived here: Frist,I would feel relax and freedom.Most of people have to work hardly,as long as you live in city,because we subsist on money,we think about how to earn money every day.In the island, I would not think about that, I can do something I like,nobody could limit my life.Second,maye I also would fell bored,because there are not friends,family and party.

4,a opinion of Nim's Island:The movie is talk about courage and goodness.First,A little girl,she had courage to protect her island when she knew somebody will go there.She is goodness for all of animals,when she and her father are in trouble,those animals always help them.A woman who can't go outside because of a problem of psychology.But when she knew a little girl had some problems,she defeated fear and went to the island,she helped the girl,also herself.The father,when he went the middle ocean,he encountered with raining,the chips broken,he never felt fear,finally,he came home by her courage,intelligent.The story tells us goodness and courage are important character[istic]s in our life.

Those are something I talk about this movie,Thanks!

Teacher's note: A little bit of GPunctuationSpelling to fix here, but a great post overall. (Pleas put a space or two {better} after a period at the end of a sentence.) I love how this author discusses the relationship between Nim, Alexandra, and the animals, all of whom play important roles in this awesome fairy tale. Thanks, author, for a thorough post!

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :geek:
Yunlin Yang

Postby Blair1122 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 pm

1. To be simply sentenced, she is a friend of nature. She lives in a secret island with her father. She always play with animals such as lizard, seal. Sometime she can acquire adventure books written by Alex Rover, and she loves to read that story.

2. Alex Rover is a hero from the adventure book. He is a symbol of braveness and courage, and inspire[s] Nim to overcome crisis.

3. I think I can live in island like Nim. My one of the favorite TV show is National Geographic and I love nature. It is going to be a great experience to live in a new world where I have never been.

4. Nim’s Island was a movie like an oasis in the desert for me in my daily life. As a citizen living in modern society, It is very hard to live with sense of a natural feature of the earth. In short, Nim’s Island was a movie, traveling to the new world of freshness, braveness, and challenge.

Thank you. ;)

Teacher's note: Oh yeah, I can definitely relate to the sentiment in this post. Everyone needs an oasis from the intensity of life. For me, it can be the golf course, an island of pure green in the heart of starkness. And I love National Geographic. In fact, my undergrad major was . . . yup . . . Geography. Go figure. Thanks for an awesome post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
Blair1122

Postby araljudaya » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:21 am

1- Nim is a little girl who lives on a secret island with her father. She always spends her time with her friends Selkie ( sea lion ) and other animals. She has an ability to talk with these animals, and they play, eat, and sleep together. She used to read books before she goes to bed.

2- Her Father brought Alex Rover book, which is written by Alexandria Rover. It is adventure book about an imaginary person, a man, who is a hero. He discovers (a) new places, and he can overcome any difficulties.

3- living on a small island is interesting and enjoyable, but it is so difficult especially for people who used to live easy life in cities. In these days, some people get crazy if they lost their phones for five minutes. In other words, living on island needs durability, strong body, and patience.

4- First, I've not seen like this kind of movies before. The story was great, and the sequences of events and ideas were awesome. we always connected with adventure since we were children. this movies was mix of drama, comedy, and romance. It was helpful for learning new vocabulary; that's the point of this class.

Thank you. :mrgreen:

Teacher's note: This author's writing is very clear and concise IMHO. And I like the ideas, especially the idea that watching movies is a great way to grow English. I'd like to add that growing vocabulary is only the most obvious way to learn. Movies can also help with almost every skill we need to successfully communicate in English. Thanks for a cool post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :o
araljudaya

Postby sei » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:29 pm

She plays with her animal friends and gets fish and fruits in the island

Alex Rover is an explorer in the famous novel and also Alex Rover is a writer of the book.

It would be fun if I were in the island like Nim's. Because I like nature. But I will be quite uncomfortable because I should get all food by myself not from grocery stores.
sei

Next

Return to Movie Reports