[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - MATCHSTICK MEN

MATCHSTICK MEN

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

MATCHSTICK MEN

Postby maikuu » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:04 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: MATCHSTICK MEN

Postby Risaaa » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm

I enjoyed this movie totally, but I do not like scene that Roy noticed Angela is not Roy's daughter. This is all Frank's plan. I feel very sad when I understand his plan.
Firstly, Roy and Frank were good partner. Frank sometimes helped Roy because he had a medical problem. so it was good for Roy to meet Angela. Thanks to meet her, he overcome health problem little by little. At first, he did not know how to behave. therefore Roy and Angela often fought. However, If Roy saw Angela is crying, he forgive her at soon. He loved her so much, and he do not have anything without her. He did not say anything when they meet in the place where Roy is working. He could change his life owing to meet her. In addition, he is happy because he married and had a baby. He lost a big money, partner and daughter, but he could make his life better than before.

Nicolas Cage is really good actor and I like him very much. When I saw his performance, I thought he has mental problem actually. And this movie is so funny because actor was speaking Japanese like "ich-ni-san" and "kanpai ( it means cheers) I was glad to hear Japanese from a famous actor.I want to recommend this movie for Japanese friends.
Risaaa

Postby Blair1122 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:31 am

1.Roy Waller and Frank Mercer are a team of con artists. They were not only co-worker also good old friends. Roy believed Frank a lot and he depend on Frank when he had problems.

2.At the first time when he met Angela, he could not open his mind easily. As spent time together, he felt responsibility as the father. Furthermore, he gave all his money to Angela when he was in danger because he thought Angela is his real daughter and loves her like a real daughter.

3.Unfortunately, Frank was not a good friend. He was a real con man who planed a long term con to Roy. Frank disappeared quickly right after steal Roy’s money, and Frank gave Roy a big sense of loss.
Blair1122

Postby Emika Kanazawa » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:19 pm

At first, the reltionship between Roy and Frank was so nice. They strived for a success of a fraud together, and they coorporate in order to get moner from others. Also, Frank understands Roy's disease. However, in the end, Frank betraied Roy, and he took most of money which they made and he run away. So, finally the relationship between them was over.

Roy really cares about Angela because he thought that she is a daughter. Also, he treats her so kindly. The reason why he always took care of her is because he really loved as his daughter. However, she was not his daughter. She pretended to be his true daughter. Finally, Roy realized that she is not a daughter and they met in a furniture store. Even though they know that they are not parents and children, they called each other as if they were.

I really enjoyed this movie, and I relly Love this movie. What happened in the end was suprising me. I did not expect that Roy was betraied by both Frank and Angela. But, I am so happy to see Roy leading a new and happy life with the new wife, who was a clerk at a supermarket.
Emika Kanazawa

Postby Ariel » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:55 pm

This is Ayaka.

1. Roy and Frank are business partner but they look like good friends rather than business partner. They understand each other.

2.At first, Roy was confused by Angela but he opened his heart to her steadily. He did his job to make her happy and began to love her as his daughter. He treated her very well and he could do whatever for her finally.

3. Frank betrayed Roy. Frank got all money of Frank and went away.

4. I completely believed Angela was Roy's daughter so I was shocked when I noticed she was actually not. However, I think Angela liked Roy from bottom of her heart although she acted as a daughter. Roy was finally betrayed by Angela but he still loves Angela. This surprised could be done because the audience can know only Roy's real feeling. I would like to know how Angela felt when she was acting.
Ariel

Postby Ahmadalsadi12 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 am

1. The relationship between Roy and Frank were strong at first, they were good partners and were good friends. They both trusted each other and depended on each other. They were also both brilliant con men.

2. He did not know what to do or how to react knowing he has a daughter. He was unable to comprehend the situation but eventually he bonded with Angela and was probably in a long time he became happy. She was his hopes and dreams.

3. Frank played the long con on Roy, he made Roy believe he had a daughter and made him trust her. When Frank exploited Roy's vulnerable side he acted on it and managed to get all of Roy's money.

4. I've watched this movie before, it's a classic and a wonderful movie to watch. I also enjoy watching it a thousand times. It show's how con men can easily manupliate people. I also liked this movie because of Roy's uniqe character and his activing was amazing.
Ahmadalsadi12

Postby lu0102 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:43 am

Roy Waller and Frank Mercer matched perfectly. They were good partner to manage a company. Frank was the leader. Their relationship was broken up by Frank’s conspiracy. Frank engaged in a deliberate effort to cheat Roy Waller out of his fortune.

Roy was very surprised when he got the information of his daughter. And he felt something different, he want to know everything about her. Gradually, he loved his daughter so much. He was pround of his daughter. When Roy realized all things were cheating, he still cared for Angela.

A person cheat others is not reliable. What goes around comes around. Roy forgave Angela for cheating his money. That is the best ending of their relationship and beginning of their future. This big mistake of the life make Roy to change his value and living. The worst thing is the best thing. Roy lost all of his money, but he get the love and family, he come back to the real world.
lu0102

Postby sei » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:34 pm

They were companions but Roy was kind of boss between them. Roy really took care of Angela and he believed that she is his daughter. Frank tricked on Roy. Frank stole Roy's money by knowing the passcode.

Actually when I saw Angela's picture ar first, I was surprised that she"s acting 14-year-old girl. But when I started to watch the movie, her great acting persuaded me to believe she is 14. Because of it, I was touched and the movie was more impressive for me.
sei

Postby Hannah » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:26 pm

1. Roy Waller and Frank Mercer are good partners which work together and help each other. Even though we don’t know the beginning of this relationship, it seems that Roy leads this team and Frank Mercer supports him. In addition, Frank Mercer supports Roy privately as well as formally at work, because Roy has a serious mental illness.

2. At first, the fact that he has a daughter with his ex-wife make him feel confused and embarrassed, but he avoids his daughter and meets her. They become intimately acquainted soon, and the daughter makes daddy’s illness better. Roy believes his daughter, but she is not real daughter and pretends to be his daughter and use him to make money.

3. Finally, Frank betrays Roy to take Roy’s money. Frank conspires to ruin Roy with the doctor and Angela and succeed the plan. Even Though Roy lost his money, a daughter and a friend as a partner, he marries the woman that he loves and gets a baby.

The reversal of this movie makes me surprise because I believe that this movie focuses the relationship between a daddy and a daughter before knowing Frank’s plan. This movie is very interesting!!
Hannah

Postby dongyunh » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:03 am

This is Dongyun Ham (Dana)
1. Roy Waller and Frank Mercer were not only best friend but also best partner of fraud. They knew each other very well. However, at th end of movie, Frank betrayed Roy to got a lot of money alone by using Roy's fake daughter.

2. At first time, he was confused and worried about the exist of his daughter. But after he met her, they had a great time and she helped him to make better his disease. Roy loved his dauther sincerely, therefore he decied to had responsibility of murder that his daughter did.

3. Frank betrayed Roy to steal Roy's money. Frank planned long term con to trick Roy with Angele and doctor and he got it. Frank ran away and Roy lost a lot of things shch as money, job, and daughter.

4. I never noticed the ending of this move untill it was finished. I guessed that Angela would help her father to be better and they will make close relationship. But the ending was really shocked. I like this kind of story. Also, I like the ending which Roy forgived Angela and made his own family.
dongyunh

Next

Return to Movie Reports