MATCHSTICK MEN

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: MATCHSTICK MEN

Postby Sujin72 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:16 pm

1. Roy and Frank are business partners and friends. Frank takes care of Roy because he understands Roy's mental illness such as tics and obsession. They really seem to be one the same wavelength.

2. When Roy heard that he has a daughter he never had even noticed, he was confused about how to respond to the unexpected circumstance and how to act as her father. However, while spending time with her, he opens his mind to her and loves her sincerely. He experiences good feeling and his illness is getting better gradually by her.

3. Roy lost all his money by Frank. Frank made an elaborate plan in order to deprive him of his fortune. He also went so far as to exploit Roy’s paternal love for a daughter. He took advantage of Roy’s feeling, and his stratagem was succeeded. It turns out that Frank is not a nice co-worker but a subtle con artist, eventually.

4. I was really surprised. I didn’t predict how it’s going to end, so I gaped at the dramatic reversal. I really enjoyed this movie.
Sujin72

Postby AlaaAlansari » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:33 pm

This is a tricky movie. Roy got deceived by all of the people around him. Even the girl that he thought her his daughter. He thought that her mom didn't want him to meet her. He set up an access password for her to his bank account. His partner Frank was planning all that to use him and his money. He got deceived by all people except for the woman who usually sees her when he buys from the supermarket. They got married at the end of the movie, and she was pregnant.
AlaaAlansari

Postby Yunlin Yang » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:09 pm

1, Roy and Frank were friends, they worked together for stealing money from others. Roy thought Frank was his friends, but Frank finally stolen money from Roy.

2, When Roy saw Angela at the first time, he did not know what he should do and waht he should say. But after they knew each other more, Roy really loved Angela, he didn't know she isn't his daughter.

3, Finally, Frank steal Roy's money, and Frank disappear.

4, I don't really like this movie, because everything is bad,except Roy find a new job and has a family. Before, everybody is not good. Frank, Roy, and Angela, all of them in order to earn money to do something illegal.
Yunlin Yang

Postby Basileo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:29 am

I loved the movie it was well shot. The story was great how he was tricked in the end. He uesd to trick people but it turned to him on the end. Roy and Frank were friends but in the end the trouth was revealed. The story was exiting and slowly paced wich is good. I loved the connection between Roy and Angela when she was tricking him as his daughter.
Basileo

Postby araljudaya » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:41 pm

Roy and Frank were friends. they had stolen a lot of money from people. After that, when Roy heard about his daughter, he was surprised and confused. And he felt something different. He loved his daughter so much and He was proud of her. When Roy realized all things were cheating, he still cared for Angela.

Finally, Frank stole Roy's money by using long con. Frank ran away and Roy lost a lot of things such as money, job, and daughter. I found this movie exciting and fun to watch from beginning to end. It showed a such great benefit or lesson that deceives people will be affected by their friends because of money.

Thank you,
Ahmed Aljudaya.

teacher's note: Thanks for a nice summary and opinion and for not spoiling the secrets. This post suggests how con artistry has evolved into social engineering, a big problem in today's world. This is probably where guys like Roy and Frank would be operating.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviegrowenglish.com :mrgreen:
araljudaya

Previous

Return to Movie Reports