[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

Postby maikuu » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:49 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

Postby Risaaa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:43 pm

1, Jude was grown up by mother, and he have never seen father directly only photograph. He wants to meet his father. That is why, he went to Unite States.

2, I like Lucy the best. At first, she is beautiful. I am very impressed bu her appearance. In addition, she believes war is not good thing and It should be stopped. She took action to finish war by doing strike. she lost her boyfriend in a war. This experience makes her think that war is stupid. If I were Lucy, I could not do anything. However, She knows what to do. I think she is genius and brave.

The scene which is that children sing "let it be" in shooting was really good but also sad. I was about to cry then. If I had a child and killed by war, what would I think? I was thinking about that. This movie tells peace is precious through the Beatles song. When Jude described blood by using strawberry, I thought this movie does not use directly expression, but we could consider about war. Actually, I do not like musical movie so much, but last scene was awesome because I like "all you need is love"

Teacher's note: OMG I am so glad to read your responses to "Across the Universe." This decade in our history is so crucial to anyone who has lived through it and so singular to anyone who wants to understand us. I especially am affected by your response to "Let It Be". This is one of the most listened to Beatle songs, one that strikes a thick nerve. We're talking about the real world here, events that really happened. And yes, there is a lot of metaphor to sink your teeth into. Thanks for being first to post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :evil:
Risaaa

Postby Emika Kanazawa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 pm

1. I like "Strawberry Fields Forever." This is because visual effects are so amazing. Strawberries and bombs in the Vietnam War are used effectively to express Jude's feelings and Max's.

2. He did not know about his father, and he never saw his father. So, he came to the United States in order to see him.

3. My favorite character is the main character, Jude. This is because he is really artistic. He has a genius for art, especially painting. He is not good at expressing his feelings. For example, when he met a man who Lucy took to their room, he was just mad. After that, he placed many strawberries on the wall, and threw them at the wall. I like his way of expressing his feelings by painting. Also, I like his voice! He has a husky voice.

4. I like a movie which includes lots of songs, so I like this movie. This movie is really artistic, and it gives us images or movies. There are many strange scenes. For example, five women with a white mask dance and fell on the ocean. It was scary though. Also, I have the Beatles' songs in my music player, but I did not so often listen to them. However, through this movie, I want to listen to their songs. Actually, I am typing now while listening to "A Hard Day's Night."

Teacher's note: You may not be aware of how the symbolism in "Across the Universe" is connected to events of the 1960s. Of course, all the music is Beatles songs performed by other artists or the actors themselves. I like the way Prudence (T.V. Carpio) sings "I Want to Hold Your Hand." It's much different from how the Beatles sang it.

The naked women falling into the ocean is based on a famous and disturbing photograph from the Vietnam war, perhaps the most famous and disturbing. I hope this film inspires you to explore the Beatles. You can find some of their songs on YouTube although recently, many have been blocked. Thanks for a cool post.

Here is a link to the story of Kim Phuc who was 9 years old when the photo below was taken in 1972. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/regio ... story.html

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com

Emika Kanazawa

Postby lu0102 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:09 pm

I like<Oh! Darling><Don’t let me down> <Come Together>

Jude came to America twice. The first time he came to America to find his father, the second time he came to America to get his lover back.

I prefer Sadie and Jo-Jo. When they are on the stage, even they fight, that’s the feeling of love. They can be soul mate, they need each other to make music amazing. Their love story is just like that sentence: love is old, love is new.

I can feel the power of ACROSS THE UNIVERSE. The frames of the movie are impressive and full of emotions. The music makes the movie energetic. The happiness of life is to feel freedom and love, the movie make[s] sense.

Because of the war, people lost and found. Sometimes they need to separate to take this into consideration and make changes. Love was an emotion that people had to re-learn.

Teacher's note: I love, love, love how this post is all sound bites, very cool. Jo-Jo and Sadie are probably the only true musicians in the cast. They are both very talented musicians IMHO. Thanks, author, for an extremely insightful and concise post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
lu0102

Postby Ariel » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:07 pm

Jude visited America because he was looking for his father.

Max was the most interesting character for me because he almost dropped off. He had only one choice to go to army for his work. I guess this is not only Max but also many men were in the same situation in this generation. Eventually, he seemed to notice that the war is not good and should not be continued. Additionally, he met Jude again at last part of the movie. It was great to see friendship. One of the reasons why I like him is he became Jude's friend first. Jude must have had difficulities when he went to America. However, he could have a good friend so he did not have to be sad although his father was not really happy to meet him. Max helped Jude naturally.

I was not famliar with the Beatles. However, I searched their music videos and noticed the scenes in this movie were made of teh Beatles' music videos. If I knew more about the Beatles, I would have enjoyed much more.

This term when had the Vietnam war was chaos and should be known. It was good opportunity to know about the time a little.
Ariel

Postby Sujin72 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:49 pm

1. My favorite musical sequence is “All you need is love” which is the last scene. This music was familiar to me as OST of “Love Actually”. Whenever I listened to the music, I used to associate the music with images of lovely couples. However, it changed completely after watching this movie. I recognized that this song has definitely many meanings than what I thought, so I received a refreshing jolt by the sequence.

2. Jude never has seen his father, but he wanted to find and meet him. He also wanted to make his existence known to him. That’s why he leaves for America.

3. I like Lucy among characters. She is not only beautiful but also bright. She grasps correctly that something is profoundly going wrong and stands against the fallacious situations. She doesn’t turn a blind eye to the problems even though she has an experience of loss her loved one. She is indeed a brave woman who is able to express herself.

4. This movie is a highly artistic. It consists of a lot of sensuous and surreal images and these are corresponded with lyrics of Beatles’ works pretty well. I couldn’t take my eyes off the movie.
Last edited by Sujin72 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sujin72

Postby dongyunh » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:47 pm

How are you? I'm Dongyun Ham (Dana)
1. My favorite sesquence is the last scene that there is song named "All you need is love" Actually, I'm not famllliar with Beatles' well, but I heard this song in Korean program. Also, the last scene and song expressed very well about the feeling of two main characters, Jude and Lucy.

2. Jude came to America to meet his father who doesn't know his existence.

3. For me, interesting character is Sadie because she has very powerful voice that attracts other people includes me. Although she got opportunity to succeed in her career, she chose love, her dream and friends.

4. In 1960s, my homecountry Korea also had hard time. We just finished Korean war at 1953, were seperated two parts in North and South Korea, and so many Korean people died in Vietnam War. So I think this movie affects and touches my mind than other students. Even tough there are crisis in our life, we can survive and overcome these situations thaks to love, friends, and familes.
dongyunh

Postby Yunlin Yang » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:26 pm

1:My favorite musical sequence of this movie is when Jude went back to his home,he missed Lucy,and Max singed a song---"hey,Jude "to Jude. I like this song,it sounded very soft,and liked someone talked to you. Moreover,this song encouraged Jude to find his love and didn't miss Lucy.

2,Jude go to America for finding his father, who he didn't see before. He find his father in US but everything doesn't like his imagine.

3,my most interesting character is Lucy. She is a girl who has courage, her ex boyfriend died during the war. She was very sad,but she didn't avoid this situation, Lucy faced to it with courage,and overcomed those difficulties.

4,It's a special movie, because the story gose ahead with a lot of musicals. It presents different life of 6 young people at that social background. Although the social background is not a good situation for people,but the ending is good. Sadie has a dream, she likes singing, and dreams to become a singer, she get it. Her boyfriend, Jo-Jo, who is a guitar player, always be with her. Jude and Lucy fall in love, they had arguments and broke up, but finally they built a good relationship. Max went to army, he came back with a healthy body. Prudence became happy. All of them have a good ending, even though they are under the intense social problems. It is a exciting story, it tells me, everything will be better, don't be weak.
Yunlin Yang

Postby AlaaAlansari » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:01 pm

"All you need is love" is my favorite musical sequence in this movie. Jude came to the United States to see his father in New York. He loves Lucy in a very romantic way. he was describing his feeling by art. He was drawing her face on the wall. He also sang for her love songs. Actually the whole movie was songs, or describing feelings and reactions by singing. It was a great movie.
AlaaAlansari

Postby Hannah » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:12 pm

My favorite musical sequence is "All you need is love" because that music is pretty familiar with us before we watched the movie.
Jude came to America to find his father that he just saw his father by photograph. He wants to meet his father face to face.
There are lots of background music in this movie, the movie wants to deliver many messages by the music.
I am not used to this method that make a movie, therefore I feel some confusing that can't catch the meaning of some scenes.
But, I am satisfied to watch a different style's movie that haven't seen before.
Hannah

Next

Return to Movie Reports