2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

Postby 18965196 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:11 pm

interesting movie. ingreible work for the time they took place. In my opinion it is a bit difficult to digest and perhaps the asento tends to be a bit confusing. I really liked the mix of opera and classical with the movie felt I moved into space

Postby Joshua » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:53 pm

1. for the first question I don't think the movie predicted right.

In the movie, the telephone have a big screen and charges.it is quite different from the phones that we are using now. It doesn't have a screen on it. On the contrary, we have a small cellphone that have a screen and can not only make a call but surf the Internet, and we can also make a "free call" by making a call by Line, Skype or some other applications.

2. Actually, I can't really tell the difference between the effects in the movie and the effects. Maybe the only problem of the movie is the landing dusts that Mike have mentioned in class. I think the special effects in the movie is impressive.
Joshua

Postby doris » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:59 pm

The film is impressive. I think it is some different between predictions and realities. Today, most of the people have mobile phones. By using mobile phones, we can surf the internet and locate anywhere we want to arrive. Moreover, we take photos via mobile phone. It was not mentioned in the movie. Nowadays, cellular phone is smaller than before. But I think it is accurate that astronauts eat liquid food and contact loved family via phone in the movie.

In the movie, the computer interacted with astronauts. And the computer has own thinking. Although the film was made in 1960s, the computer generated images was good. When I saw a lot of scenes in the movie, I imaged that I was in the space.

To sum up, the film was impressive. In the movie, the music was also fantastic. It also reminded us how to keep balance between science and humanity. I love this movie. Thank you.
doris

Postby Miyu » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:21 pm

I saw this movie first time, this movie was made in 1968. I thought it means this movie was very old. Any situations and scenes were not accurate informations about 21st century, but this movie was very interested because I thought there were kind of terrible foods and sticky shoes. These thing and people who using the shoes were very interesting.

I like this movies CGI effects even though thought these effects were made approximately 50 years ago. However recently CGI is better because of more clear and beautiful.

Next time if I have a opportunity to see this movie again, I want to watch whole story of 2001: a space odyssey.
Miyu

Postby lirongjia » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:23 am

I've been always in love with science fiction movies and i think this 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY is a great one considering the year it was made,1968.

It predicts the life in space in the year 2001, such as eating, walking, going to toilets and even exercising. And i think most of the predictions are accurate according to the knowledge i've learned in physic classes and the new technology human have nowadays. For example, there are several scenes describing the spinning of space station and part of the spaceship, which provides gravity in order to make people walking easily. The former one shows people can walk normally and talk with others just like you are on the Earth, and the latter, which is a small room, shows us a men running in circles.

And the predictions are even advance in nowadays. As we know, Neil Armstrong stepped on the Moon in 1969,which was 1 year after this movie was made, but human being have not been the the Mars yet by 2016. By the way, there's another pretty new movie,THE MARTIAN(2015), talking about life in Mars and the way between the Earth and the Mars. And i think their predictions are pretty close.

Anyway, this is a great movie and i've learned something from it. :D

P.S. the music played when they approach the Monolith is too scary. It's like i'm watching a horror movie. :o :o
lirongjia

Postby kimberly0610 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:19 pm

The predictability of future in the movie is resembling as nowadays. I seldom watch old movies because the techniques and visual effects are quite different from now, but what surprised me is that this movie totally fit in this era even more exquisite. There are lots of movies use abundant CGI effects, some of them use it too often which is cliche.

Therefore I'm really astonish about the special effects from this movie, I can't imagine how the production designer of this movie make the scene look so substantial which some of the devices even hadn't invented then. I also very respect for the director who envision the situation of space of future, for instance, the intelligent computer "Hal", it can update all the information by itself, even has the emotion like human beings.

Although there isn't the emotional computer now, but there is a computer which can beat human in chess and also predict the next step of human, which is close to the computer that the one in the movie. I really enjoy and like this movie a lot, I regard this movie as a spectacular milestone of films.
kimberly0610

Postby Nicole_Shan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:10 pm

This is my second time watched this film; the first time is when I was in university. My major was about films, so in the class we have watched.
This film director is Stanley Kubrick; I really like he’s films, because he has a lot of imagination and wired. 2001: A Space Odyssey was shoot in 1968, but people first on the moon are in 1969. Kubrick create a big world, this film is all artificial intelligence films origin. The high level computer HAL 9000 has failed in the space, it caused the death of several astronauts, just one astronaut confrontation with HAL, finally he find secret of space, about future and past endless lop.
Because this film, NASA use the song “The blue Danube” to call awake astronauts; Lucas filmed Star Wars series; and after the Apollo astronauts set foot on the real moon who said “just like that movie”.
But now, in 2016, the AI is doesn't dominate our life.
Nicole_Shan

Postby Miyoung » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:43 pm

When I saw this movie first time, it was boring because I don't like space movie... And I was not able to understand it almost of it. So, I just searched for some information about the movie. And I totally understood wrong. I think this movie's effect is not better than now because it was released in 1968. But, I still wonder about like a stone pillar. Because when astronauts discoverd it, It was started noisy sound. I wonder if someone discorvered it long time ago, in fact it was made a sound.
Miyoung

Postby Wangping » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Sorry i was so tired that I did not watch this movie carefully because of the time difference between China and Amercia. Thus I can not give some specific reports and recommendations. however I can write what I saw. I deem that this movie is a great imagnation of the future in 1968. Although there are some mistakes about space in this movie, this movie is a crucial assumption of human that people realize and exploit the space. I am so sorry about that I did not watch this movie clearly, because I am so sleepy.
Wangping

Postby Shuhuai » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:38 pm

Actually I do not understand this movie because I do not like this type of film.But, this is the movie of 1968. At that time, humans have not pictures taken of the earth from outer space,also humans to the moon for first time in 1969. Only this , enough to let us to salute to Stanley Kubrick.
Shuhuai

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Reports