SELMA

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: SELMA

Postby xunpengwu » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:37 pm

I believe the time as SELMA first presented to audience was just around Michael Brown's Event in St. Louis, Missouri. Just before the time, leading by John Roberts, the Federal Government outlawed several policies in The Voting Rights Act due to that there was barely no discrimination in the South so they were not in need of protection.

And SELMA showed up. Although there were some controversial journals or reviews said it distorted real history, I still consider it as a great movie.

The scenes of speech were vivd and inspiring, but the most impressive part to me was the depict of every single person's sadness, fear, anger, faith and trust. These were not related with color. There is no race discrimination in China and there is no black or white issue too, but humanity, the common thing in the scene, was strong. I could feel Americans' will to seek equalization and freedom, no matter black or white. I could also see the helplessness and resistance to the government. SELMA also brought a strong motivation to the current society, with tragedies happening in Dallas Texas, Louisiana, Minnesota and more. SELMA was just like a mental hug for us as audiences.

In one sentence, SELMA is almost perfect to me, except for that in a few scenes, the movie used music to "tell" audience how to watch and understand it.
xunpengwu

Postby lirongjia » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:01 pm

Everyone knows Martin Luther King, but I don't really know the things he's done for black people. This movie tells us the story in Selma, which gave me an American history class. And I am totally impressed by this dramatic story.

The black leadership decides to march from Selma to Montgomery because they want to fight for the being able to vote. Although the law has allowed black people to vote, discrimination still exists everywhere, including the government office, which has rejected most of the black people who wants to sign up for voting. Marching in a great scale might be the way to let the whole country know what they want and what they deserve.

Once the blacks are able to vote freely, they will have power, which is not allowed by the whites, so the whites feel fearful. At that time, the whites still think of themselves prior than the blacks. When the blacks have power, the whites will not have the whole decision of every voting, which will make them equal.

But when people, including non-African Americans, see what has been done to the blacks for fighting for their rights, such as beating them, forcing them to leave and even kill some individuals, they can't stay like nothing has happened. They've abandon their discrimination, and they begin to understand the blacks. That's why they stand out to join the struggle.
lirongjia

Postby kimberly0610 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:19 pm

I had enjoyed in this movie a lot, although the English in this movie was harder than others, but I still gained a lot of knowledge and inspiration in this movie. Martin Luther King is a symbol of freedom, the efforts that he had done for Black people is indispensable and irreplaceable, he had changed the history. He adopt peaceful way to earn their rights, and never compromise to those unfair situation, I'm very admire of his perseverance and his wisdom. I think the reason why the whites in Alabama afraid of blacks being able to vote is because they worried the blacks will getting unsatisfied and demanding more. But the blacks just want their basic rights just same as others, that's all.

After the first march, lots of whites joined in their second march, the whites saw and heard the scene that police hit and beat black people without mercy, they treated them as animals, everyone was shocked by those cruel scene, so they decided to join the second march and stood for blacks. This tragedy in the history is so unbelievable to me, the scene will branded in my mind deeply.
kimberly0610

Postby doris » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:09 am

Black leadership decide to march from Selma to Montgomery because they strive for equal vote right of black people. This film is impressive. I was touched by a lot of scenes and I can not help crying.

The whites want to have power and instigate the black. The white have a sense of superiority and they want to dominion over Alabama. Moreover, the whites discriminate the blacks in Alabama, so the black make efforts to strive for equality by marching from Selma to Montgomery

A lot of scenes which the black was hit and shoot by the white were displayed in TV’s. It was uncivilized. The police treated the black ruthlessly. Some white want to help them and think everyone are equal and should have the vote equality. Other people think that government is too cruel to treat the black and they want to help them.

Martin Luther King make efforts for equality and his wife always support him. I like the film and the music very much. Today, it exists some inequality between races, gender and etc. In my opinion, everyone is equal in our society and we need to respect different people and culture.
doris

Postby omaralazemi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:45 am

Dr. King did a lot of things that saved a lot of people these days. This film we learned a lot of things that he has done by Dr. King and we must become like that person. You must see a lot of movies that teach the same things that this film teaches us
omaralazemi

Postby Shogo Saino » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:05 pm

When first march, black people were put down by force of police. So they decided to march for voting.

The whites looked down on black people. So they didi not want black people to raise the status of black people.

The situation that the black people were suppressed by police were broadcasted on TV. So many people included non-American stood up for movement for voting.

This story is ver famous. I think there is still discrimination for black people. I learned that it is important that not to give up and to have belief from this movie. Some people who are non-black people joined the movement. But the white are killed by whites people. That is sadness things. I think we need to think about this problem.
Shogo Saino

Postby tiffanyfu » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:50 pm

At the beginning of the film, Dr. Martin Luther King took the 1964 Nobel peace prize. After he took the prize, in 1965. Martin Luther King, Jr., also continue[s] to fight for black equality of human rights. Martin Luther King is also a human, the film has a large part in introducing him how to deal with their own things , he has a family, and also has troubles from the family , and they are not God, to solve the problem can not be slogans alone.

Finally, at the end of movie ,it written that Martin Luther King was murdered after 3 years later, at the age of 39. However, we can see that in the United States more than and 100 years after the abolition of slavery, Martin Luther King's dream of equality is still far away. Black civilians in employment, education, public welfare and other issues still have unfair treatment.It’s a long way to walk.

-tingyifu(tiffany)
tiffanyfu

Postby 18965196 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:26 am

Selma a grand feature film, I do not even remember if I win Oscar and was nominated but Selma seems to mark an essence for many firm construction North Americans and didactic approach to the figure of Martin Luther King, include an idea that the film says with determination: that the great changes in historical paradigm can be traced to the most specific circumstances.

The arc of history encapsulated in a single moment. So, Selma approaches the monumental mosaic of the struggle for civil and ethnic rights in the America of those years looking through a filmic microscope, centering the target in what happened in the town of Selma, Alabama, during a few days of March 1965. Days on which Reverend King and his family decided to put on the ropes to President Lyndon B. Johnson organizing a peaceful march for the right of blacks to vote. In its own way, focusing on this triumphant testimony of struggle and communion (racial and religious).

in other words many others supported the cause because it seemed unfair and advocated equal color and the right to vote was the first step towards this. I could also read in an article that the director Ava DuVernay aligns with the famous American historian Howard Zinn, who in his seminal 'A People's History of the United States' advocated a future "may be closer to the fleeting moments of compassion the past that the many centuries of armed conflict. "
greudyn peña

Postby s-al7arbi » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:54 pm

SELMA is a great movie, usually I don't like the historical movies but this one has many reasons that made me enjoy it.

First of all, this movie helped as to know about the discrimination between the white and black people in the past, which is still happening Nowadays also. However, it was very different in the past. I didn't imagine that it will reach a level that make the police hitting and killing them during the march. In fact, there are many things in this movie that I didn't expected.

On the other hand, The best thing in this movie was when they utilized the technology, which is the camera, to send a massage to the people. They sent a massage that could move the emotions in any human heart. As a result, many white people joined them in their march because they finally thought about the black people suffering which is not fair at all.

Saeed
s-al7arbi

Postby shmookh » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:04 am

I like this movie because they telling us true story and show me what really happened.
I was shocked when I sow the first part of the movie when the government hit the black people and they didn't to listen to them.

a lot of white people they help them because they sow what happened in the media like in TV and radio they feel this is not fair for black people, so this why a lot of white people they support them.

it was great movie because it is about true story.
shmookh

Previous

Return to Movie Reports