THE DESCENDANTS

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: THE DESCENDANTS

Postby Miyoung » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:00 pm

When I was watching this movie, I was thinking too much. I thought that if his wife had died after, he knew that his wife met the other guy or if his wife had saved her life and then, if he knew about it, what should he do? Even if his daughter saw that his wife dated with another guy, it could be lie. Also, that guy could have lied about it because he wanted to keep his family. I think there are many story in this movie. I can't explain all of them, but I just felt his love story. And he wanted to take care of his wife.
Miyoung

Postby lirongjia » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:48 am

The successful lawyer George is having a terrible time, with his wife becoming really sick and dying. Also, his doesn't know daughters very well. At the same time, there are a lot of heritage things to be concerned of.

This is a sad story, and performed in a comedy method. the music is pleasant, and the characters are king of strange. It talks about how to say farewell in the end of life and how to spread this kind of message. It's a chicken soup of the soul, teaching us reflections on life. we should learn how to deal with family relationship and how to be a decent descendant.

After all, life goes on, so don't give up!!
lirongjia

Postby Joshua » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:56 am

The relationship between the land deal, the boat accident and Brian Speer are quite complicated. First, if the land deal succeed, Brian Speer could win a huge amount of money. As for the accident, I think the relationship between land deal and the accident is not that direct. I think the accident and the life of a wife laying in bed inspired Matt to be responsible to the family. And change of Matt's mind also later change the mind of weather saling the land or not. As for the relationship between Brian Speer and the accident is that after the accident, Matt's daughter, Alexander, told Matt about the cheat of her mother, which really shock Matt.

Although at the beginning Alexander acted like a unrespectful daughter toward her father and mother, but she eventually helped Matt to find the man: Brian Speer. And accept his dad, Matt.
Joshua

Postby 18965196 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:52 am

For me, the best have been George Clooney in less dramatic feature of the actor.
Moreover em seemed a good movie no more.

The comic Party within the context of a mother in coma, did not like me too.
Idyllic place where life is like elsewhere.

On the other hand, covering the final decision matt, not to sell the land. Merely thinking of leaving all his ancestor and everything your ancestors made so that they only had to sign and leave it to others and forget their roots reacted and give another opinion.

Greudyn peña

Postby kimberly0610 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:33 am

This is a very interesting movie, this movie revealed a complicated relationship between Matt King and his family. The land dealer was his cousin, and his wife almost died in the boat accident, when the situation really went bad, he found out a man called Brian Speer was cheating with his wife.

Matt had to deal not only with the problems with the affair,but also with the problems with his daughters, who he didn't took a good care of. But eventually he solved all the problems and forgive Brain Speer and his wife, decided he won't sell the land. It's a really touched movie, I like it a lot.
kimberly0610

Postby doris » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:36 am

Matt was a heir to a island and Matt's wife was in a coma after boat accident. Althought Matt's wife loved Brian Speer, Brian Speer loved his wife,,instead of Elizabeth King. Matt was angry, but he still told his children to respect their mom,Elizabeth.

At first, Alexandra can not accept the truth. Then she told his father,Matt, that Elizabeth King had fall in love with Brian Speer. They found Brian Speer together. I was touched by the scene which Alexandra cried out in the water. Matt and Alexandrea experienced a lot of things together, and Alexandrea grow up and didn't offend her father.

Matt chosen to keep the important memory about family and his love and pain, Elizabeth.At the end of movie, Matt sat with his two children, watched TV and ate ice cream together. It showed that Matt chosen love and family. Maybe Matt thought he had pay more attention to care for children and he had more responsibilities to look after their children after Elizabeth died.

It's the impressive movie. Life can not always be smooth. We need to overcome problems and be positive when we have some trouble. I admire Matt's tolerance to his wife. He relieved not only himself but also his wife. I think I 'll cherish family and cherish everything I have. I was moved that Matt took care for his wife when Elizabeth was in coma. I really like this film and music. Thank you so much.
doris

Postby ZiyuZhang » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:33 pm

Why is the movie called The Descendant”? I was confused at the beginning. It’s about the husband and wife, the father and his daughters. But why it use “descendant” as its name, why “descendant” can represent the whole story? After watching the whole movie, I think this story is not only about family ethics and relationships, but also belief and faith about our homeland, our past, and everything we inherit from forefathers.

When Matt brought his daughter to see the land they planned to sell, he said that he just took his land for granted. He never truly devoted himself to his homeland, just like what he did to his family—a “backup parent” . When he was about to lose everything—his wife was dying, his family was tore apart and his land would be sold to Brian Speer—Matt finally understood their meanings to his life.

It was too late to keep his wife, but matt still had time to keep his land. I think that’s why when Matt’s cousin reminded him that there was only seven years left, Matt answered that, “we will figure out a way to keep it.”
ZiyuZhang

Postby amroalsanousi » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:49 am

I think its hard moment when they want to revenge.
I like the words from the girl to her mother when her mother was dieing
great movie in Hawaii
amroalsanousi

Postby xunpengwu » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:39 pm

I like what Mike said about the movie, "The story is sad, but beautiful."

Love is the most beautiful thing in the world. However, for lots of males especially when they are in middle age, they fall into a cycle to work and support the family, educate and protect his kids, only "love" and have sex with his wife. Matt is very representative that he gives everything to his family but he forgets to bring the real love and romance to his wife. As a result, he faces with the situation that Elizabeth falling love with another man.

It is hard to Matt to embrace and understand all of these, but because of love, he does. It is respectful for him ultimately knowing what he has missed in his family and his life. He uses the most gentle and tolerant way to bring everything he could give, even the third person in their relationship.

The last words Matt says to Elizabeth are emotional and reflective. Sometimes, males have to think about their real role in the family.
xunpengwu

Previous

Return to Movie Reports