THE PRESTIGE

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: THE PRESTIGE

Postby Elly » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:45 pm

At first, Robert Angier and Alfred Borden were best friends who have different advantages as a magician. Borden has an outstanding talent and Angier has talent for speaking that can make the audience concentrating. Borden wanted to perform more dangerous magic others do not. Then one day, he tied a knot of Angier's wife Julia who is a showgirl. But the knot was unlike the usual. Finally, Julia couldn't untie the knot and died. After that, they saw the magic of each other and found out a method of each other's magic. Then they revealed the method and slandered each other.

Actually, Borden performed with his hidden twins. But Angier performed with a man resembling him. Borden heard this fact to Olivia who is Angier's showgirl and made ruin Robert's performance.

Fallon was a hidden twins of Borden. They made the one person dressed up to look like someone else. They kept changing the role.

It was a perfect movie from the beginning to the ending. Description of magic starting with narration by Michael Caine. Slowly and invited us to their magic then lead us to the third step of the tremendous magic. I can not take my eyes off the movie like magic. Angier who was colorful on the stage but behind cruel than anyone. Borden who didn't live his life of a real himself. The movie made me think a lot but also was lingering a while.
Elly

Postby Sayaka » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:24 pm

The relationship between Angier and Borden got serious because in certain show, Borden tied the rope much harder than usual to Julia,who was Angier's lover, and she was drawn. Borden said he feel sorry but he didn't know.I guess he had another Borden already at the time.

I felt the difference of attitude against the magic between Borden and Angier. Borden made importance on the tric and Angier did on the audience. He really wanted to be remarked by audience but Borden was much good at catching people's attention.

Sarah was really poor woman who was involved in the men's desire to the magic. She loved Borden but felt something strange to him. Finally she couldn't realize that there were two Borden because they were almost totally same.

After watching this movie, I considered if I had another myself. However I never want her because I am not satisfied with spending only half of my life.
Sayaka

Postby Doaa » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:34 am

At the first, I got little bit confused, but following the times it became more and more clear. Robert Angier and Alfred Borden were magicians, and they are respected to their magic skills each other. At the beginning, Angeir's wife died in a magic. Borden tied her hands with a rope and she couldn't untied the rope. So, Angeir suspects that Borden killed her, and their relationships became serious and the story began from this point.

Actually, Borden and Fallon are twin "the same person" whom from a machine invented by Nicola Tessa. They acted as the same person, and sometimes Borden was Fallon, and Fallon was Borden. Actually, nobody knows the secret. This makes his wife confused and very sad. His wife passed away because of the sadness.

At the end, The Prestige ending got to me as something that is so easy to understand after viewing it once. the second time gave me an "oh, so that's why" moment. I liked this movie, and I recommended for other students. Thanks Mike :)

_Written by Doaa.
Doaa

Postby Dargons01 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:32 am

At first they work as a magician together in one team. Then one time at the stage borden tied a different knot on angie's wife hands that cause a death to angier's wife. After that, angie wanted to do revenge on borden because he blamed borden for the cause of angier's wife death. This is causing them to seriously compete with each other.. they wanted to destroy each other trick, shows, and life.

The first act of teleportation trick by angie had failed because he did not know the trick that borden had and tried to keep finding the secret on borden's teleportation trick.

Borden and fallon are an identical twin. They switch their part equally. Sometimes one became a husband and one disguised as an old man.

This movie tells us about rivalry, betrayal, tricks, and love. They had a good friendship at the beginning and then they tried to compete each other after the angie's wife incidents. I think this move teach us not to become too ambitious, do a good and fair competition, do not lie to your spouse.

Gustianto Wijaya
Dargons01

Postby Louloutesmile » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Robert, his wife Julia and Alfred Borden are friends and assistants of a magician. When Julia accidentally dies during a performance, Robert blames Alfred for her death and they become enemies. They have both become famous and rival magicians. When Alfred performs a successful trick, Robert becomes obsessed trying to find out his secret. But it was really dangerous.

We are wondering the whole movie how does Alfred do his trick. And at the end we are all shocked to find out that Alfred has a twin brother.

However, I didn't want Robert to die...

Teacher's note: One irony of this movie is that Robert Angier has a machine that allows him to live, yet he kills himself each night. Borden kills his final version in full view of all the other deceased ones. If even one of them had lived, Angier would still be alive. Didn't happen.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
Louloutesmile

Postby rayanrd » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:28 am

this movie was about the relationships between two magicians whom are Angie and Borden, and they respected each other.
At the first, the story began when Angier's wife called Julia died during their magic show. then, Angeir thought that Borden killed her wife. After that , their relationships became more serious.

Borden has twins of him who made by a copying machine his name is Fallon , and they love different ladies. Borden love Sarah, and Fallon love Olivia. actually, they act as the same person. therefore, Sara confused about her husband's love for her. She loved Borden, but she felt something strange to him. By this confusing, Sara died.

At the end, When I watched this movie, I was confused, But finally I got the general point. In fact , I interested on this kind of movie.
thanks Mr.Mike.
rayanrd

Previous

Return to Movie Reports