[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - THE PRESTIGE

THE PRESTIGE

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

THE PRESTIGE

Postby maikuu » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:44 am

Attachments
tesla.gif
Robert Angier as the Great Danton (Hugh Jackman) steps into the Tesla field.
tesla.gif (995.19 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: THE PRESTIGE

Postby fkaram » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:27 pm

Alfred Borden is blamed for murdering Robert Angier when he bites the dust amid the execution of an astonishing trap, "The Transported Man". These revolutionary antagonist performers' bad luck starts when Borden executes Angier's significant other among a hazardous enchantment act or charm. Every tries to hurt or execute the other through their own particular traps, and every tries to one-up the other.

Angier turns into an exceptionally fruitful entertainer, yet just by duplicating Borden's most noteworthy trap, "The Transported Man". Angier does it using a double, however nobody know[s] how precisely Borden does it. The way to the entire riddle is by all accounts an innovator found somewhere down in the Rough Mountains, Tesla.

I've already seen this movie before, and every time i watch i enjoy it. i like the way that this movie was filmed by, it helps my brain to think about every single trick they do. in other words, it is an outstanding movie for the brain. The Transported man trick worked from the first attempt, [spoiler] but they did not realize that till they found copies of the hat. for instance, the machine does not literally transport them, it just duplicates things. I think it is like cloning since it made a copy of the magician. to sump up, the movie was performed with high intelligence and good actors which eventually produced a perfect movie.
fkaram

Postby Momoko » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Relationships between Robert Angier and Alfred Borden became serious because Angier's wife called Julia died during their magic show on stage. And he assumed that this accident was Borden's fault.

Sarah got confused about her husband because Borden had his copy made by a machine. They looked exactly the same and his copy cut his two fingers just like the original Borden so that Sarah couldn't realize the difference. The original Borden loved her but his copy didn't love her at all. They took turns to became her husband so that Sarah was not sure about her husband's feelings.

In this film, two magicians obsessed with one tricks called "The Transported Man" and they competed with each other. Angier won this competition at first by putting Borden in jail for murderer. However, Angier realized that this Borden was his copy. Angier produced dozen of his copy and he killed himself every time he performed the show. On the other hand, Bordern made his one copy on stage and even in his real life. Therefore, real Borden showed up alive at the end. And he finally killed Angier.

Teacher's note: This author presents an interesting theory I have not heard before, and it implies a big question. What if Fallon/Borden are actually copies of each other, produced by a Tesla cloning machine? In typical Christopher Nolan fashion, there is a suggestion of this theory, and it turns out that others have put it forward too. I subscribe to the revelation that Fallon and Borden are simply identical twins (both played by Christian Bale) who go to any lengths to keep this knowledge a mystery. The ending and other evidence bears this out.

But wait, why is Robert Angier willing to drown himself in a tank of water for one hundred nights in order to perform the Transported Man? What if the machine breaks and he doesn't replicate? The important question is why doesn't he replicate himself just once and do what Borden/Fallon do? (No need to drown one hundred times.) There is a lot of discussion on the internet about this apparent hole in the story, but if you're watching carefully, you'll notice that, in his obsession, Angier seems to be recreating the death of his wife, Julia (Piper Perabo) as a kind of tribute. And let's not forget that Cutter (Michael Caine) famously lies that a sailor once told him, "Drowning is like going home." Thanks, author, for an insightful post of "The Prestige."

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :ugeek:
Momoko

Postby Mai » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:31 pm

First, Angeir and Borden respected to their magic skills each other. One day, however, Angeir's wife died in a magic. Borden tied her hands with a rope and she couldn't untied the rope. So, Angeir suspects that Borden killed her, and their relationships became serious and they become rivals.

Bouden has an another him who made by a copying machine, and they love different people, Sarah and Olivia. So, when the copied Bouden who does not love Sarah says " love her" to Sarah, and she thought it's lie and she is confused about her husband's love for her.

When I watched this movie, I was confused many times. But finally I understood that they use the "copy machine", and could clear my head. At the first time, this movie was difficult for me to understand contents of the movie but after I finished watching this and I realized everything, I thought that this movie was awesome and I wanted to watch it again,
Mai

Postby Reina » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:19 am

Angie and Borden are both magician and respected each other. However, one day a woman who Angie really loved died in the magic show. This happened because Borden tied her rope much harder than usual and she could not undo it and failed to get out of the box. Since that day, the two magicians relationship became bad, then Angie tried to revenge on Borden. But the fact is really complicated.

Actually, Borden and Fallon are the same person born from a machine invented by Nicola Tessa. They acted like completely different person, but sometimes Borden was Fallon, and Fallon was Borden.

When I watched this movie in the class, I got confused because there were many secrets in the story. But as the story went, I realized the fact little by little. I thought that if I were Angie, I could not kill myself every time I do the transportation magic. So I understand that he really wanted to be a great magician and never minds any other things.
Reina

Postby Aira » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:17 pm

This movie use the flash-back way to start the story. At the first, I got little bit confused, but following the times the riddle became more and more clear. Robert Angier and Alfred Borden were magicians, and partner to play magic. The bad things happened that Angier's wife died between the magic show. Angier believed that is was Borden's fault. Their relationship became serious. The "war" between them were started. They all wants to be the best magician, and find lots of different things to show. But things lose control, they both became cold blood.

Borden for his career also lied to his wife. There have a person named Fallon was Borden's twins brother. They change the role everyday. Nobody knows the secret. This makes his wife confused and very sad. His wife ended her life because the sadness.

I have to say this is one of the best movies i have seen this year, I have recommended this movie to my friends. I am very like this kind of movies. Lots of tricks, you need to be very focus on the every details. They are all crazy people in this movie. After seeing, I just thinking that is this necessary to have that much ambitions. It did not worth at all. They all lose their family in the end. Interesting movie and also sad. ----------------Aira Dilimureti
Aira

Postby huangsh521 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:59 pm

borden and angier are two magicians who were originally friends. there was a time that angier blamed borden for murdering his wife. after that accident, their relationship becomes serious that makes them become rivals. angier failed his "the transported man" intentionally so that can make borden being guilty for murdering "him".

i like this movie and i like these two magicians who are always trying their best to create a better magic trick to conquer the audience. they are the greatest rivals.
huangsh521

Postby Dunia(sarah) » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:46 pm

The movie is one of ny favourite it contains a deep story inside it , the thing i like is that every body keeps wondering while watching the movie it is tricky and in the end of the movie we discover the missing part it was shocking that Alfred borden had a twin brother who was hidden into another personality but the thing that desapointed me is that Robert was killed in the end.
Dunia(sarah)

Postby Hima » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:26 pm

This movie is about two stage magicians, Robert Angier and Alfred Borden. They competed hard. The first turning point of the story is that the death of Angier's wife. She died in the middle of the magic using the tank. After that, Angier suspected Borden, and the rivalry between Angier and Borden became serious.

Both magicians tried to succeed the difficult illusion called The Transported Man. Angier tried to find out how Borden did. He searched so hard that he sent Olivia to Borden to get the trick. He went to see Tesla and got the secret and dangerous machine. It created the copy of anything, even people. Angier greatly succeeded of the illusion. Actually, every time he killed by himself and created the new Angier. On the other hand, Borden had also copied man or doubled-brother called Fallon. They lived as a one person. So they made a sacrifice of their lives for the magic. Finally, one of them was killed on suspicion of killing Angier, though he was innocent. At last the other man killed the copy of Angier.

It was so complicated and scary story. Even though I watched whole the movie, still so many mysteries remain.
Hima

Postby 95rein » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:33 pm

There were reasons that rivalry between Robert Angier and Alfred Borden became serious. First, Borden made a mistake in his performance and it led to make his assistant['s] dea[th] and she was Angier’s wife. It came to a breach between them. After this unfortunate accident, they disturbed their magic performances each other. As a result, Borden lost his two fingers and Angier became crippled his leg.

The reason that Angier’s first attempt at “The Transported Man” failed is he didn’t solve a secret of Borden’s perfect “The Transported Man” trick. It made him jealous about Borden’s talent and he didn’t feel satisfaction from his performance because his understudy who is rum-dum received his ovation instead.

Borden and Fallon were identical twins. They hid this fact from Sarah even though she was Borden's wife. That was the reason that Borden really worried about his assistant Fallon’s life when Angier buried Fallon alive to know about the secret of Borden’s magic. --Minju Yoon--
95rein

Next

Return to Movie Reports