[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - ROUNDERS

ROUNDERS

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

ROUNDERS

Postby maikuu » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:13 pm

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: ROUNDERS

Postby Reina » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:22 am

This movie was hard to understand for me because I don't know the roles of poker games. Sometimes I got confused, but I got the main plot of this story.

Mike was a good poker player and he challenged a man called KGB who is very strong at this games. Though Knish, one of his friends told him to stop the game, but he did. He thought he could win but KGB was much stronger than Mike. Finally he lost all of his money, $30000.

Then he decided not to play it again and worked hard while learning at school to be a lawyer. One day, his friend Worm was let out from jail and Mike went to pick him up. Then Worm told him that he had a big debt and need money. So they tried to make money by playing poker games but their cheat was appeared then they failed. Mike asked his professor and lent some money. Then he challenged KGB to poker game and he was able to win. He covered the debt and returned money for professor, and went to NY to be a pro of poker games.

The relationship between Mike and his girlfriend, Jo was difficult because Mike tried to save his friend and told a lie. Jo thought she was betrayed by him and left from him. I wanna learn some about poker games then try to watch it again!

-Reina-
Reina

Postby Khaled_9449 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:37 am

it was a great move that i enjoyed watching although i don't really know the roles of poker so i didn't get most of the movie :P but i got the main pint
the message behind the movie was awesome

though mike and worm have not played poker together in a long time they are able to quickly fall into rhythm together and win any poker game and i believe thats way they have such a strong bond

mike relationship with jo is so difficult because jo are so agens makie playing poker and she whats him to stop playing poker but because mike loves poker he kept on playing

at first mike played with KGB and he lost all his money and then after worm got out of jail he got him back to playing poker after he quiet playing for a wail

so what happened then is that worm got mike into a big problem with KGB and so mike was in debt because of worm and he owed KGB 25K
so mike didn't have that money so he went to his law professor and he asked him for money his professor helped him with some money but it wasn't enough so mikes only choice was to play poker to get the money he owed KGB

i highlly sujest watching the movie :D

KHALED
Khaled_9449

Postby Almaz777 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Even if i didn't watch this film from the beginning, it wasn't difficult to understand the main idea of this film.
This film talking about a man Mike who is young jurist and dreaming about a lot of money, but he wants to earn them as fast as he can. As a result, he is reaching his purpose by playing professional poker. Also his biggest dream is to win the competition World Series of Poker. However, after losing a huge quantity of money to a man named Teddy KGB, he promises that he will never play poker again.

After his promise he gets a job, he has a lovely girlfriend and apartments. But, his friend called Worm suddenly gets out of jail, and rushes into his like hurricane.
Worm who significantly increased his mechanics in poker during jail. From the first day after jail he goes to play poker in order to give his big debt back to Teddy KGB. Consequently, Mike decides to help his friend, but eventually due to Worm's love to mechanics both of them successfully loses almost all their money.

Mike don't know how to find money. So, he decides to borrow it from his professor who gives to to him. Finally, he challenged Teddy again and covers his debt. Moreover, he wins a lot of money and returns money that he borrowed from professor and leaves for Las Vegas in order to compete in World Series of Poker.

--Almaz
Almaz777

Postby Momoko » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:14 am

Mike and Worm has a strong bound because they are old friends and they were used to play porker together as a partner before Worm imprisoned. Mike and Jo's relationship are complicated because Jo wants him to stop playing cards so that he promised her that he will get away from gambling. However, Mike couldn't keep her promise because of debt that he made. Jo realizes that he's lying and she left him.

As a opinion of ROUNDERS, I watched this film for the first time and I could understand the scenario even though I didn't know how to play porker. Also, by watching this movie, I could see what it's like to play gambling. I could see the thrill of gambling by the scene when Mike bet all the money he got. Form this movie, I learned the danger of gambling and there are certain possibility that people become addicted. But I think Mike was a good person after all because he gave back money that he owe to his professor.

However, I assume that he would play gambling again from the last scene because he was about to go to Las Vegas.
Momoko

Postby Hima » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:24 pm

Mike was a brilliant student of law school. At the same time, he had a talent for poker game. He made great money by poker game. One day, he challenged Teddy KGB, who was very good at poker game. In the game, Mike was sure of his victory, so he put all his money. However, he was defeated complitedly and he lost great deal of money.

Deciding not to play poker game, he worked and studied hard. After that, his close friend, Worm was released from prison. So, Mike picked him up and told him that he stopped playing poker. However, Mike started playing poker game again with Worm. Mike's girlfriend named Jo noticed it, and finally they broke up. Still, Mike continued playing poker game. Unfortunately, Worm got into debt because of poker game and Mike had to pay for it. They were struggling hard to get enough money to clear off their debt.

At last, Mike borrowed the money from his professor. He challenged Teddy KGB again. Noticing his habit, Mike defeated KGB and got a lot of money. At the end, he left law school and headed for Las Vegas to play poker game professionally.

Hima
Hima

Postby Elly » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Mike and Worm are partner in the poker, also old friends since high school. Originally, Mike was a student in law school. A problem was he is good at porker. He believed his ability and went to Teddy KGB, who is familiar with the Mafia. Mike played poker with Teddy using his tuition. But he lost whole money. This became a problem with his girlfriend Jo. He promised to Jo that he never play poker again but he broke the promise since Worm got out of prison. Jo really disappointed to Mike watching these his behavior. And she finally decided to leave Mike.

Mike had to pay off debts to Teddy KGB. Actually, this was not Mike's debts but Worm's. At first, Mike and Worm were paying off the debts. They were played poker with police but it was trick poker by Mike and Worm. Their trick poker was caught by the police and police beat and drove out them. Mike said to Worm he want fair play but Worm didn't accept his opinion and left him. Because of this, Mike repay the debt of the Worm.

I'm not familiar with card and gambling, so this film was little bit hard to understand when the gambling scene came out. Overall, I like this film; however, I really don't like the ending. I expected Mike quit gambling and go back to Jo and then they live happily for a long long time. So the ending was so shock to me. I still can't understand Mike's choice.

Teacher's note: IMHO this author makes a good point about the ending of Rounders. I think the first time I saw this amazing movie, I, too, expected Mike to go back to Jo. But I realized that doing this would be a cop out because we learn throughout the story that playing poker is Mike's true passion, and he really does not have his heart in law. The only way he could honestly go back to Jo would be if there were a big event in his life that would cause him to make this change. The only big event happens when he finally confronts Teddy KGB, and i don't think the result of this event would cause Mike to return to law school.

So maybe the point of this story is that people do not always do what we think they should do. People find their own truth in life. Gambling is Mike's truth. Thanks for a great post.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :oops:
Elly

Postby Doaa » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:07 am

This film is about a young man his name is Mike. Mike was a student of law school. Actually, he had a talent for poker game,and he made a great money by poker game. Mike's girlfriend named Jo. She was upset because Mike was playing poker game. Because of that their relationship broke up. Then, Mike started playing poker game again with his close friend "Worm". Mike was prodigy in that game, while Worm was mechanics.

The story began when Mike continued playing poker game with Worm. Then, unfortunately, Worm got Mike into debt with Teddy KGB which was big problem of poker game, and Mike had to pay. They had had hard time to get enough money to clear off their debt. Then, their relationship broke up. At the end, Mike borrowed the money from his professor to challenge Teddy KGB again, and defeated KGB. After that, he got a lot of money, and he gave back the money that he owe to his professor.

This movie was hard to me because at least in the beginning because I don't know the roles of poker games, but then I became curious to know what would happen at the end! thanks Mike :)

_Written by Doaa
Doaa

Postby Mai » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:55 am

Mike and Worm are friends since high school and they are good poker players.

Mike is a university student and majors law. His girl friend, Jo is also same major. She don't like poker game. And She believed he stopped playing poker, however, one day, she found out Mike restarts poker. Then, their relationship become bad.

Teddy KGB is good poker player. Mike played poker with KGB and lost his all of money. So he decided he didn't play poker anymore. But he has to pay money to KGB, so meets KGB again. They play again. Finally Mike wins KGB because he notices that KGB has the habit having cookie when he is certain to win.

I watched this movie for the first time, but I thought this movie was very interesting. However, when I watched, I thought he might be able to lawyer if he hardly studies law and goes to his university, and he has a girlfriend. So, I can't understand why he keeps playing poker and why he loves poker more than his future and girl friend. If I were him, I would not have played poker........

Mai
Mai

Postby Sayaka » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:42 am

The main character, Mike, is one hand a law school student, on the other hand a good poker player. He just enjoyed reading others face and winning. One day he tried to battle with Teddy KGB betting on all his money and lost everything. Then he decided never to play poker again.

However, his old friend, Warm, was released from prison. He needs money but his way to play poker is cheating others and he always makes troubles. So Mike helped him but that makes his girl friend,Jo, angry.

Because of Warm's debt, Mike has to gather $15,000. After they faced a lot of trouble, they break up. Mike asked his professor for a loan of $10,000 and he tries to play poker with that money. At last, he win the battle with Teddy KGB and got all money from him.

After watching this film, I firmly decided that I never play any betting game, even though I even don't know its rule.
Sayaka

Next

Return to Movie Reports