[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - THE GREAT GATSBY

THE GREAT GATSBY

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

THE GREAT GATSBY

Postby maikuu » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:55 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :evil: :lol: :) :x :oops: :oops:

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: THE GREAT GATSBY

Postby huangsh521 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Gatsby was born in a poor family who desires glory and prestige. he left his family when he was 16. he fell in love with a girl named dasiy before he joined the army. Dasiy longs for him coming back during the war, while a rich person named tom is on the pursuit of her. Then daisy decided to marry tom. When Gatsby comes back, he becomes rich and successful. He builids a splendid palace and have many luxurious parties to attract daisy's attention.....

The movie tells a love story but has a tragedy ending. Gatsby and dasiy couldn't be together because of gatsby's death. It shows that Gatsby is a percet guy who owns a lot of fortune who is loyal to love who is kind to his friends. He is a brave and kind person so we call him the Great Gatsby.

--Bart
huangsh521

Postby Dunia(sarah) » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:45 pm

Gatspy was a hopeful kid , beliving one day he will be rich. Grew up and achieved what he wanted.He inherited an enormous fortune.And he lived for love. For Daisy,wanted to please in many ways.Thats what made the movie so sensational for me living for something,true love .wheras,it's not found oftentimes.How misterious Gatspy was .
Dunia(sarah)

Postby Momoko » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:08 pm

Both Jay Gatsby and Tom Buchanan are rich, and they loved Daisy. Jay was born in a poor family, but Tom was raised in a fortuned environment. From this film, I could imagine that the life in New York in 1920s was gorgeous because upper class people had enough money to throw a big party every day. In 1920s, American culture was classism because they had parties in hidden places where normal people cannot enter unless they are invited like Nick.

As a opinion of this film, I enjoyed watching even though I had seen this movie few years ago because I had almost forgotten the story. I like the way Nick was captured in this movie because he saw rich people as a middle class people who work every day to make ends meet. I think Daisy and Tom are terrible people because they don't even go to the Jay's funeral, and they just run away to protect themselves.
Momoko

Postby Elly » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:53 pm

This film reflects materialism. Its typical character is Daisy. She already knew about his husband’s affair but didn’t reveal this fact because she wanted to keep her wealth and position. And if Gatsby was same as 5 years ago, did she love Gatsby again? I think Daisy was self-portrait of materialism who is only looking out of own advantage pretending to know anything with an innocent face.

At that time, NYC was being developed and quality of life only judged by money.

I think Gatsby is enough to deserve what he wants because he did everything that he could do for what he wants. In addition, Gatsby was keeping his mind for 5 years even though Daisy got married with another man. I think this is the reason why Nick add ‘the great’ in front of Gatsby’s name .

I really enjoyed this film. Watching this film, I thought again about materialism. Materialism will never end because everyone know that money is the best. And I think Gatsby is victim of materialism. In living the world, most people maybe have a hope that future would be better than now. So they endure pain and will be moving one step and one step. However, I think writer wants to say that these efforts and hope may can be a mirage through the Gatsby. True meaning of materialism is that there is no affection and only gold, that is money, dominates everything; but actually, these are just a fallacy at the end.

<Elly>
Elly

Postby Hima » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:26 pm

We saw this film from Nick's perspective. It was a sad story about great guy called Gatsby. This movie also described good old days of America in the 1920s. From this film, I could imagine how wealthy America society was at that time. In this movie, many rich people enjoyed their incredible lives.

In this story, Nick learned Gatsby's secrets little by little. He was from very poor family, and he fell in love with Daisy long time ago. He promised to be with her, but Daisy married Tom. Gatsby made a desperate effort to get back Daisy, and finally he became a bootlegger. That is why he turned into a rich man. Gatsby lived for Daisy at the end of the time. Even his dying word was 'Daisy'.

In my opinion, I could not understand Daisy and Tom, especially Daisy. At first, I thought she loved Gatsby with all her heart. And that's why she tried to divorce Tom. However, she seemed to love Tom too. I was sure of it when Tom's lover was killed by Daisy. She seemed to use Gatsby's love for her. As Momoko said, Tom and Daisy should have visited Gatsby's funeral at least.
Hima

Postby Mai » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:58 am

Gatsby was poor when he was a child, but he accidentally met a rich man. Then he became rich, using illegal way. And he fell in love with a girl, Daisy. However, one day, he had to go to a war, so they had not met for a long time.

Nick is a relative of Daisy, and Gatsby knows about that. The two guys are friends and Nick helps Gatsby meet Daisy, and Gatsby and Daisy can have a reunion. She knows Gatsby have loved her since they met first. But she have already married with another man. Gatsby tried to have a relationship with her many times, but before he achieve that, he is killed. So, they have never been tied by a bond of love.......

I thought people of living rose during the postwar boom in New York and there were many rich people in the 1920s. So, when Gatsby invites to his party, many people, looks wealthy, came to his house.
Mai

Postby Sayaka » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:07 am

This movie clearly described which is more important - love or money.

Jay Gatsby came to America to be wealthy. I think he believes money can make him happier than before. He fell in love with Daisy but she married with wealthy guy, Tom. He assured that he could take her back because he believed that she surely loved him, so he asked her to divorce with Tom. However, she was reluctant to do it. After some complicated accidents, Tom and Daisy decided to run away from Gatsby. She chose property than actual love.

I was able to understand how the 1920s in New York was through this film, especially through Daisy's attitude. People were coldhearted and only money could describe the person's attribute. At the very last scene, I could not endure to watch the last of poor Gatsby. This story itself was very interesting and sarcastic, but personally I did not like the end of his miserable life.
Sayaka

Postby Leon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Gatsby said about American society, it was like a green light.

In1920, New York, there was aweome economic divelopment and disparity of wealth. Also, Prohibition was enacted in the Constitution of the United States of America. However, there was a man who smuggled alcohol illegally and earned enormous wealth, his name was Gatsby.

Gatsby got enormous wealth and high social status, though, he lost love torward Daisy. Finally, Gatsby died to a tragic end.

This movie was very sad story. Gatsby was a successful businessman in New York, in 1920s. However, suddenly, his life collapsed by one love. Gatsby had been loving Daisy even if he went to the war, but she had not no longer loved him. As a result of pursuing her, he lost his own life. I felt this movie related to American history. America’s economy has made remakable progress after World War 1. Gatsby died around the same time of Wall Street collision.

That fact indicates that Gatsby, a materialist, was selected to removed from the society by George who represented the United States at that time. That’s why, I thought “The Great Gatsby” was popular in the United States and has sympathized by many people.
Leon

Postby Reina » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Nick met a very wealthy man whose name is Gatsby. He held party every night at his great house. The purpose was to meet a woman called Daisy because he really loved her even though she married a another wealthy man, Tom. Nick was wondering why he is so rich, and later found out that he was actually born in poor house. Daisy also loved Gatsby, but she couldn't get away from Tom. Tom knew that Gatsby became rich in illegal way and stimulates Gatsby. Then, he got angry in front of Daisy and she disappointed with him. Finally, Gatsby couldn't be together with her and be killed. Daisy and Tom went away and never come back.

I think the life in New York in 1920s was surprisingly gorgeous because rich people had party like in this movie. In the movie, Gatsby wasn't able to deserve what he wanted to get because Daisy was ran away from him and he lost the love.
Reina

Next

Return to Movie Reports