DARK CITY

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: DARK CITY

Postby bukhari4 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:45 am

Film 561
Abdulrahman

Dark City is a dark mysterious movie that starts with a very interesting plot, however, ends in a rush way. In the beginning of the movie, a man - John Murdoch - wakes up in a tub looking confused. He loses his memories and tries to discover the reason behind it. He meets with shadowy men called the STRANGERS. These men are from an outside world trying to adapt living with humans. Every night, they perform what is called tuning. At 12 O’clock, time stops and they modify the memories of several people in order to understand human’s behavior. John then fights these strangers to repel them. He got the ability to tune as well. While he is fighting them and trying to find the truth, he found out that their city is floating in the universe. By the end of his fight, John was able to master tuning and he repelled of the strangers.
bukhari4

Postby Leena » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:00 pm

this movie "Dark City" suggests that memories are very important to humans. I think that this movie is a little weird i don't know if i like it or not but i would not watch it again. the movie has a great concept of how important the memories are and how someone can easily control you without you knowing. the movie was made in 1998, even though that the technology was not as good as the technology nowadays, i think that it was pretty good it looks like it was made in 2006 or so.

teacher's note: Looks to me that this author liked some aspects of "Dark City." My guess is that if she/he watches it again, they might really start to become a fan of this awesome film. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow:http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :o
Leena

Postby masa » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Film 561
Masahiko Kamiya

The hero, John woke up at the unfamiliar place he didn't know. And he got blamed on crime he didn't know. Actually, he was marmot of experiment by strangers. their purpose was to transfer the memory from one person to another. But at the end, he defeated those strangers.
masa

Postby Aziz-abul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Dark city is a movie about a man named John. Confused about what's going on, John wakes up to find a dead body next to him. His clothes covered in blood, he thinks that he did it but he doesn't remember. The movie takes us on John's journey to find and piece together his past. By doing so, John discovers a deep hidden secret that changes the lives of everyone in the city.

I thought it was a good movie, but I didn't like it. The pacing of the movie was all over the place. It was fast at times and then slow, but in moments when it needed to be the opposite. I didn't like the ending because I thought it wasn't appropriate for his character. He needed a dark and gloomy ending, not a happy sunshine one. But then again, who am I to disagree with the makers of the movie. This is just my opinion, I would never watch this movie again. However, this is a great movie for its time, it very much influenced movies such as The Matrix. So, for anyone who is interested, you should watch it.

Teacher's note: I appreciate the honesty in this author's opinion about "Dark City." I think he is suggesting that it may not be for everyone, and I would agree. However, he also seems to acknowledge that it is an excellent film when examined on its own merit. I would definitely agree with this idea. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :ugeek:
Aziz-abul

Previous

Return to Movie Reports