[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - MATCHSTICK MEN

MATCHSTICK MEN

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

MATCHSTICK MEN

Postby maikuu » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:27 am

Poster copy.jpg
Poster copy.jpg (15.04 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: MATCHSTICK MEN

Postby demi0206 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Film 561
Hidemi

Roy is a con artist, and he works with his partner Frank for living. Roy and Flank smoothly accomplish their missions to cheat people out of money one by one. They come to earn a great amount of money. However, Roy has suffered from some chronic disorders such as obsession with cleanliness, and the disorder worsens as they succeed to get money from others in an illegal way.

I think Roy has a strong liking for Angela because he has not had a person to feel strong connection with him. Even though he has a partner, there is just business friendship between two of them.

Roy takes care of Angela well, and he sometimes buys her favorite ice cream called New York Super Fudge Chunk.
I was surprised the movie structure. After watching ending, I realized every natural scene lead to ending. I thought the relationship between Angela and Roy is a beautiful, since they are seemed to trust and acknowledge each other, although they are not real family.
demi0206

Postby Murshed » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Film 561
Murshed

Matchstick men is about a con artist with obsessive compulsive disorder and his protégé. This cast includes Nicolas Cage, Sam Rockwell, Alison Lohman, and many more. A typical day would be hectic, they might be scamming your neighbor or a CEO of a well known business. Roy knows his limits but frank pushes his luck.

The matchstick men where scamming a businessman for a huge amount of money but the scam backlashed and they where caught. Roy was a living alone for more than 15 years his life was dull and spiritless. Angela brought back the spirit to Roy's life. She was interested in what her dad did for work. Roy agrees to teach her the art of coning then later she joins them for the huge scam.

Angela's favorite ice cream flavor is New York Sugar Fudge Chunk. The movie was fun to watch, it made me laugh and sad at the same time. I believe that the director made a good job bringing the story to life. I thought it was creative, that the the Anaheim Convention Center was set as the airport.
Murshed

Postby e1635107 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:38 pm

Film 561
Yuka
The main character is Roy Waller who is a swindler. He worked with Frank Mercer and they earned much money from people who was easily deceived. Also, he suffered from fussiness about cleanliness, so it was difficult to control his feeling for him. However, he could relieve when he met Angela. She stayed his house and they had good time together, also he talked about swindle to her and they did that.

I was very surprised about this movie’s ending. I was shocked because Frank deceived him. I thought that they have relationship of mutual trust. Also, Angel was not his daughter. While I was watching this movie, I thought that he and she was an ideal parent-child relationship. They could get to know very well each other and they enjoyed a lot when they did something together.

I like this movie because I did not expect the ending. Also, each character had different personality, so this movie was interesting.
e1635107

Postby Hikaru » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:39 pm

Film 561
Koichi Yamazaki

Roy, who is too much concerned about cleanliness and keeping things hygienic, and Frank, who is Roy’s business partner, almost always spend days on fraud in a remarkably clever way, that is, they are absolute rubbish as a human.

One day, Roy met a girl who is supposed to be his daughter, Angela. Since then, he has been changing little by little because of Angela. He lets her stay at his house, teaches her how to con somebody and buys New York Super Fudge Chunk for her as she becomes important and precious to him before he realizes it.

He is, however, never aware that it is a conspiracy against him by Frank and Angela and they deceived him into believing that she is his daughter until they steal his huge amount of money which he has taken from somebody else.

This film, especially the last part of it, was very interesting to me. The fact that the man who cheats somebody in order to get money is taken in by others who he has believed sounds really funny and ironic.
Hikaru

Postby Naomi Matsumoto » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:15 am

Film 561
Naomi Matsumoto

Roy, who dislike dirty things extremely, is the main character of this film. He is a cop and work with a buddy, Frank. Roy is cleanly, so one day he was absent from his job because of his house’s dirtiness. After some scene, he met one girl who said she is his daughter, Angela.

At first, they live usually, but one day she said she wants to tell how to commit frauds. He said he does not want to teach it, but she succeeded in convincing him. As the story goes, she became good at cheating on people. However, when Roy, Frank, and Angela committed a fraud at an airport, they made a mistake and they were cheated by the victim of the commitment. They managed to escape from him at first.

However, after few days, Roy and Angela were found by the victim. After that, Roy lost consciousness. Finally, he realized that Angela was not his daughter, and he started to work at the carpet company with a fidelity. At the end of this film, one woman came to his shop with one man.

The woman was Angela, whom he thought she had been his daughter. Lastly, he recognized that he was cheated by Angela. In this scene, I thought that the person who commit a fraud might be cheated by someone in the same way. In addition, I think that the performance of Nicolus Cage was awesome and should be admired a lot.
Naomi Matsumoto

Postby Maisaalmedlej » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:09 am

Film 561
Maisa Almedlej

Matchstick Men is comedy-drama movie. What I liked the most about this movie is that even though it looks like a comedy movie, it has a deep emotional story behind it. In addition, I liked that the ending wasn't expected at all!

Roy who is a guy with an obsessive-compulsive disorder , he is obsessed with cleaning and hates the sun and going outdoor. He works with his friend Frank as con artists. They basically trick people to get their money.

Roy discovers that he has a 14 year old daughter "Angela" and gets close to her. Angela changed Roy's life completely. With her, he is happier and his life had a meaning. Her favorite ice-cream flavor is New York Super Fudge Chunk. At the end of the movie, Roy discovers that he was fooled by Frank and Angela who took all his money. He also discovers that Angela wasn't his daughter. Frank used her to get his money.
Maisaalmedlej

Postby e1635236 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Film 561
Kimiko

Roy is a con artist. Also, his business partner called Frank is a con artist. They do their jobs very easily and enjoy them. Roy tend to be in disorder otherwise he takes medicine, so the medicine make Roy keep calm.

In my view, the reason why Roy develop strong linking for Angela is that she is curious and really like the jobs that he does. He may be very grade to feel acceptance from Angela because she is very cute “his daughter.”

New York Super Fudge Chunk is the one of the ice flavors that Angela likes.

I was astonished by end of the film because Roy was arrested. What [was] even more surprising, Frank betrayed his best partner, Roy. I was very sad. Moreover, Roy suddenly met Angela finally. I thought Roy was a nice guy because he did not talk about her past to her boyfriend and regarded Angela as his daughter.
e1635236

Postby Lusiqi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Film 561
Lusiqi

Roy is a con artist who make money with his partner Frank by defrauding people. Roy is also a person who suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic attacks, and gets totally hysterical easily. One day after going to a recommended psychiatrist, Roy finds out that he has a 14-year-old daughter, Angela, who is eager to escape her controlling mother. He develops a strong connection with Angela because he never imagine that he could have a daughter, and no one has broken into his life and got close to him.

At the end of the movie, after finding everything is fake, Roy eventually find himself back and get back to normal, peaceful life. It tells us losing something is not always regrettable, it could help people to reflect on what they actually need.

This movie is interesting and meaningful. The plots are compact, and the ending is striking. Though there are many details lead me to the truth that Angela is not Roy's daughter and Frank is trying to cheat Roy, the ending still attract me. At the ending, when Angela ask Roy:" Do you want to know my name." I feel moved because of Roy's response.
Lusiqi

Postby bukhari4 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:04 am

Film 561
Abdulrahman

Roy and Frank are two sides of a coin. They complete each other in deceiving people to steal their money. They call themselves Con Artists. Frank is a smart humorous man, while Roy is the brain who really despise sunlight and dirt. One day, Roy, who had lost his medicine to calm down, had to look for a therapist to prescribe pills for him. The doctor tried to communicate with him and made him talked about his failed marriage. Roy could not call his ex-wife, so he asked the doctor to do so. Roy found out that he has a 13 years old daughter, and the movie started to become more interesting as he tries to work the relation between his daughter and his job.

The ending of MATCHSTICK MEN was extremely unexpected and made this movie one of the most interesting movies I saw. The twist and how he was tricked were surprising. By the way, Roy really loved Angela even after all what happened, and her favorite ice cream is Chocolate (New York Super Fudge Chunk).
bukhari4

Next

Return to Movie Reports