[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - BROOKLYN

BROOKLYN

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

BROOKLYN

Postby maikuu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:58 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: BROOKLYN

Postby Hasumi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:16 pm

film 561
Hasumi

In this movie, a young women Eilis moves to the U.S. from Ireland. In Ireland, there are many tradition[s] and she needs to follow these tradition[s] and rules. She can receive a sponsorship to go to America and she starts her new life in Brooklyn. She struggles [with] many things; nearly, she misses her family and she cannot be like her work. However, her life has changed positively since she meets one kind young Italian man, Tony.

I enjoyed watching Eilis change; at first, she seems very sad and rarely shows a smile. But after she meets Tony, she often shows smile and she do[es] her work very well. I feel Eilis is inspired by Tony. But then, Eilis’s sister pass[es] away suddenly, so she decides to go back to Ireland. Before she leaves the U.S, the get[s] married with Tony. Although Eilis become Tony’s wife, she does not tell anyone [in Ireland]. She meets another man in Ireland, and she does not reply [to] Tony’s letter. She really struggles whether to go back or stay.

I love her final choice. If she made a different decision, I would hate her and this movie. I really recommend that you watch this movie!

Teacher's note: I really appreciate how this, the first poster, provides a well rounded summary of BROOKLYN without spoiling the ending. Eilis does indeed struggle with many things, but at least she has a place to land when the arrives. Many immigrants come to America with nothing but the clothes on their back, not even legal documents. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :cry:
Hasumi

Postby e1635236 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Film561
Kimiko
Elilis could get out from her boring life in Ireland with an assist from her acquaintance lived in Brooklyn [Father Flood]. He arranged for her living place and her job. She met Tony, an Italian guy at the dance party and fell in love with him. Through warmed time with him, their relationship became deeper and reached a marriage.

In my perspectives, the film does not really represent the immigration experience since I have an image that immigration does not always allow immigrants to lead an easy life such as Eilis life. On the other hand, the film a little bit depicts about hardness and loneliness by showing old Irish men. Thus, I thought Eilis is a lucky woman.

The consequence of her story was that she got married and seemed to commence her marriage life in Brooklyn. I was glad Eilis decided to live Tony because her heart once swayed because of a new guy, Jim who lived in Ireland. Although, I agree with her marriage with Tony, I feel sorry to Jim.
e1635236

Postby demi0206 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Film561
Hidemi

A young Irish woman, Eilis, who lives with her younger sister and mother in Ireland, moves to Brooklyn in order to start her new life. In several weeks after moving to Brooklyn, she is faced numerous problems since it is difficult for her to be used to the life in the new country. There are obviously many culture differences between two countries such as fashion, intonation and so on. Nonetheless, meeting nice Italian guy, Tony, she gradually changes her mind to overcome those problems, and develop herself. Tony is devoted himself to support Eilis, and he gives priority to Eilis. Eilis comes to love him because of his characteristics.

I think the immigration had same difficulties as Eilis. They were struggle with getting over sadness in new country which was apart from their own country. From the point of view, the movie is representative of the immigration in the 1950s.

I learned from the movie that the importance of meaning which the word, "love", had. I did not expect Eilis needed to make such a hard decision whether she chose the guy in new country or the guy in own country. Even though she chose either, someone would be hurt his feeling by Eilis`s decision. I thought the man who was not able to get Eilis was poor, however, I like the ending.
demi0206

Postby Maisaalmedlej » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Film 561
Maisa Almedlej

Brooklyn is a drama/romance movie that was released in 2015. The movie was basically describing the life of Irish immigrants and how they move to The US to find more opportunities.Eilis was a young Irish girl who was living with her mother and older sister and working in a low-wedge job in Ireland. Her sister found her an opportunity to work in The US with the help of the father of the Church.

Eilis was desperate when she moved to Brooklyn in the first couple of months until she met Tony who made her happy and helped her through her difficult moments. Eilis and Tony fell in love with each other. After that, Eilis knew that her sister died and she had to go back to Ireland to check on her mother.

When Tony knew that she was leaving and to make sure that she will come back he proposed to her and they got married. When she returned to Ireland she found herself in a good job position and met Jim who was in love with her. She was confused at the end of the movie and didn't know what life she should choose.
Maisaalmedlej

Postby Murshed » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:48 pm

Brooklyn is a drama and romance. Personally I don't like or watch romance movies, but Brooklyn was different. The movie is about Eilis an Irish girl who got sponsored by Father Flood to the United States. Eilis emigrated in the year 1951 the first months she felt estranged and alone. The letter she received from her sister made her homesick. Until one day she went to a dance and found a guy called Tony.

After meeting Tony she felt [at] home, she finally made a connection with Brooklyn. Out of the blue her sister passed away. Before leaving she married Tony. When she returned she felt like everything in Ireland was pulling her back. Then her old boss tried to blackmail her. It was at that time the she knew her body was in Ireland but her heart was in Brooklyn.

So she followed her heart. Eilis tried so hard to face the difficulties she faced but it was hard. When Tony came into her life all her difficulties disappeared. Tony filled the gap in Eilis' heart, which in return made them close.

I believe that Brooklyn is the representation of the immigration experience. The movie portrayed Brooklyn as a city of immigrants. Parts of the city where filled with Irish immigrants, while other parts where filled with Italians.
Murshed

Postby e1635107 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Film561
Yuka

The main character, Eilis, who is a young woman and moved to the United States from Ireland to start new life in Brooklyn. For the first few weeks, she encountered some difficult things because she could not get accustomed to American culture. However, one day she met the Italian man whose name is Tony. After she met him, she changed her mind and tried to overcome those difficult things. While she was spending time with him, she gradually liked him and as a result they got married.

However, suddenly, she went back to Ireland because her sister died. Then, her heart was pierced by grief, but she was encouraged by her friends and could get over a shock. After that, she went back to Brooklyn and lived with Tony.

When she spent time with Jim in Ireland, I thought that she will stay in Ireland and live with Jim. However, she went to back to Brooklyn to live with Tony. I seemed that she could live happily even if she lived with whichever because these guys are so kind, but I relieved the ending. Also, I could get to know about the immigration through this movie. Therefore, I like this movie.
e1635107

Postby Naomi Matsumoto » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:19 am

Film 561
Naomi Matsumoto

One woman Eilis, who is the main character of this film, worked at a bakery with her older sister in Ireland. One day, her sister suggested that Eilis would go to NY to get a better job. However, she struggled a lot since she had come to NY because of the discords between her and her job or people around her, and homesick[ness], but through many events like meeting Tony, who would be her boyfriend, she got accustomed to live there.

Personally, I think BROOKLYN is representative of the immigration experience. Many newspapers and people are under the impression that immigration might be good thing. However, I believe that there are also many difficulties and conflicts about immigration like what this movie shows. Thus, I think it is kind of representative film about immigration.

Around the end of this story, she was about to commit infidelity. When I watched this scene, I made eye contact with my friend who sat down next to me and whispered “I cannot believe!” and she also said that. However, at the end of this story, finally she went back to Tony, so the friend said she was relieved. On the contrary, I did not accept the fact because it was truth that she tried to be with another man, who was not Tony. Therefore, to tell the truth, I do not like her a little bit, but I actually like this story.
Naomi Matsumoto

Postby Leena » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Eilis was able to face the difficulty because she met tony who became her boyfriend, she used to go out with him alot which distracted her from thinking about her home and family and being homesick.
Leena

Postby bukhari4 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:08 am

Abdulrahman Bukhari
Film 561

Brooklyn is a movie with dramatic and romantic setup. Eilis the main character has to leave her country to work in the United States and living there. Eilis as many other immigrants faced many hardships in her life in the US and faced many difficulties. She was lost and weak until she met Tony, an Italian immigrant, who she fell in love with.

Tony was able to help her face her hardships and overcome them. He didn't help her by doing things for her, but he supports her, and she felt confident and comfortable, because someone is there with her. Their love was true even after she had to return to her country and she found everything she needed there before she left. She insisted on going back to the US and continue her life with Tony.

Brooklyn is a very good movie that I would recommend. It was accurate how they showed the difficulties and hardships immigrants would face at the beginning of their new journey. However, I don't agree with the idea of leaving my country, because I found better life or new love. If everyone do that, no one left to rise the country. Those people who face great hardships and overcome them are the one who are able to make their country advance.
bukhari4

Next

Return to Movie Reports