[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - HOTEL RWANDA

HOTEL RWANDA

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

HOTEL RWANDA

Postby maikuu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:45 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: HOTEL RWANDA

Postby demi0206 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Hidemi

In my perspective, Paul Ruseabagina, who is a manager of Rwanda hotel, is a conservative person. He is not willing to take a risk when he makes decisions, whereas the stereotypic image of hero is taking action, as possible as he can, to achieve gigantic dreams without any hesitation.

There are more backgrounds about Rwanda genocide although these do not describe in the movie. The conflict between two ethnics, the Tutsis and the Hutu, gets worse because Hutu president is assassinated.

During the incident, United Nations does not work to stop the conflict. I think they are afraid of interfering in two ethnics’ affairs by using of weapons in order to be neutral.
demi0206

Postby Murshed » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:11 am

Paul Rusesabagina is considered the hero type. In the beginning of the movie Paul was lost, and did not know his place in this crisis. But as the story progressed he figured out that he should stand up to the people, and use his power. The conflict started when Europeans divided the people of Rwanda into to distinct group. The people where separated by height, skin color, and nose length. This was the beginning of the Tutsis and Hutu. The United Nations where unable to help because they did not have enough soldiers. The movie was based on real events. Paul had hope, it was the only thing that kept him moving.
Murshed

Postby e1635107 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Yuka

The main character is Paul Rusesabagina, who is run a hotel and he has wife and children. When the conflict between Tutsis and Hutu occurred, he defended not only his family but also a lot of people at the hotel. While this conflict was occurring, many people were killed. However, he never give up and he tried to various things to help them.
I felt that he is courageous man because he went to dangerous place and took action to protect them. I was really touched by his bravery.
e1635107

Postby e1635236 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 am

Kimiko
He seems a hero because he rescued not only his family but also his neighbors and the people who rushed into his hotel, it was the difficult to protect even his own family. In my perspective, the cause of the collision between Tutsis and Hutu is hatred. Historically, their distinction was their careers which are Nomad and farmers. I do not know precisely, but without people’s noticing, the difference might be cause of the hatred. The reason why United Nations are not effective is that their number of solders are not enough to keep their conflict between two kinds of tribes. I think the story is very real and makes me sad and intimidated because I can understand how human can be …
e1635236

Postby Naomi Matsumoto » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 am

Film 561
Naomi

When I finished watching this film, I was tremendously moved, but I felt something lacks. At first, Paul who is the main character of this movie ignored his neighbor being attacked by Hutu army because he wanted to protect his family. His wife was a Tutsis. I have been interested in the conflict between the Tutsis and the Hutu since I watched this incredible important film of the world history. Then I searched a lot about this problem and learned that the Hutu was majority population and they were said like barbarous and the Tutsis was honorable. I felt it is completely wrong because people are equal even though they have different traits, culture, or religious. As I mentioned at the first sentence, I felt there was a lack in this movie. It was that Paul’s family was able to escape and he helped a lot of the Tutsis, but I think it was not an end because there are still victims who were suffering from the racial conflict. By the way, I could learn a lot about history of Rwanda. That is why I was satisfied with watching this movie.
Naomi Matsumoto

Postby Maisaalmedlej » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Film 561
Maisa almedlej

Hotel Rwanda is a Drama/History movie that was released in 2004. The movie basically describes the civil war in Rwanda between the Hutu and Tutsi. Paul Rusesabagina is a Hutu hotel manager who is married to a Tutsi. In the begging of the movie, the Hutu militia took over and started killing Tutsi people. Paul saw his neighbor being killed and didn't do anything about it because he wanted to keep his family safe. After that, the movie shows us how he became a hero who saved many refugees.

I believe that Paul Rusesabagina is a real life hero. A hero that doesn't have super powers. A hero that feels fear but who is willing to do whatever it takes to save people's lives.
Maisaalmedlej

Postby Hikaru » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:43 am

Film 561
Koichi Yamazaki

Paul Rusesabagina, who is a protagonist in the movie Hotel Rwanda, is not the "hero" type because he is not the kind of person who is willing to die even for someone else irrelevant to him. He just wants to protect his family from a war of genocide between the Hutus and the Tutsis which brings about a tragedy that a lot of people die and secure a safer place for them.

The conflict between the Hutu and the Tutsis seems to be primarily caused by their history. The history which human beings have experienced causes a lot of trouble or problems like we usually see even in today's world. This movie makes me think about what is human beings or who I am. Besides, I suppose we should now coexist with and get along with each other.

Teacher's note: Paul Rusesabagina certainly did not start out to be a hero, but in the end he was very much a hero. He saved more than 1000 people in the Hôtel des Mille Collines while putting is life in danger many times. At one point, he asked General Bizimungu to shoot him because Paul Rusesabagina was going to turn him in for war atrocities. He did this so the general would take him back to the hotel where he needed to be. Paul also put his family on the UN convoy while he stayed behind to help the men, women, and children (including orphans) stranded in the Hôtel des Mille Collines. All of this, and more, we saw in the movie. So in the end, like most heroes, Paul Rusesabagina was not looking to be a hero. He just stepped up when history needed a hero, and no one else was available. Thanks for posting.

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :o
Hikaru

Postby Lusiqi » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:56 pm

Film 561
Lusiqi

This movie is based on a true event which is horrible and miserable. It really shocked me, but makes me feel touched at the same time due to the main character's courage and selflessness.

The main character, Paul Rusesabagina, is the manager of the hotel Rwanda and also a Hutu. He is not a typical hero. At the beginning of the conflict between two ethnic groups-Hutu and Tutsis, Paul has his own doubt, fear and selfishness. He just wants to ensure his families' safety and tries not to be involved in troubles. As the conflict starts to be out of control and a cruel massacre towards Tutsis begins, the heroism inside Paul is awakened because of the goodness, sense of responsibility. But the most significant factor, in my perspective, is the extreme circumstance which stimulates Paul's good quality and bravery in the deep side of his heart.

The plot of the movie is really tense and tight. Every time I think those Tutsis and Paul would be safe, however the situation upends to negative side.

It's a good movie not only because of the artistic value of the film, but also the meaning about letting more people know about conflicts which continuing happening in Africa, drawing more attention and support towards those people who are suffering from wars, disease and poverty.
Lusiqi

Postby paulvigneron » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:59 pm

It is based on the true story of Paul Rusesabagina, a Hutu married to a Tutsi during the genocide that occured in Rwanda 1994. He is the manager of a hotel and it sort of becomes an impromptu refugee center after the foreign guests have all left. The UN tries to help but is "unable" to do much.
paulvigneron

Next

Return to Movie Reports