[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - HUGO

HUGO

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

HUGO

Postby maikuu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 pm

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: HUGO

Postby e1635236 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 am

Kimiko

The reason why Hugo and Isabelle became good friend was that Hugo needed Isabelle's help and he might be attracted her personality which tends to be admired “adventure”. For her, Hugo was very mysterious person because he lived in the station hidden from a station inspector, and his desire seemed to involve adventure. Additionally, her childhood seemed not to have dreaming aspects because of her substitute father. Thus, she were very curious about Hugo and inspired by him.

The automaton is the key to solve a message from Hugo’s father who is dead by being perished and it may relate to “fixing”. Since he and his father tried to fix automaton, he was eager to achieve to fix it. He leads Georges Méliès to reminiscence his dream by showing Georges’s crystal of dreaming. I love the setting because I like the time which makes me feel the time passed is very slow. Moreover, the film shows us beautiful dreams and fixing people’s heart, so I was moved very much.

Teacher's note: Thank you author for such a touching reminiscence of Hugo, a personal-favorite movie, and surely one of the best by Martin Scorsese. Now let's hear what other authers have to say.

--mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
e1635236

Postby e1635107 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:13 am

Yuka

Hugo lived in the station and tried to fix the automaton which was key of this movie. He often pilfer parts of automaton from toy store. However, one day, he was noticed by the owner of this store, and he was robbed parts and pocket note book. He required Isabelle’s help to get back them. When he asked her about assistance, she [became] interested in his action. This is because she could not spend her time like him before. That is why Hugo and Isabelle became good friends and they had a splendid time. For example, they sneaked into the movie theater.

I was afraid that Hugo would be caught by station’s officer few times while I was watching this movie. However, I was touched by this story because I could get to know the consideration of each person. Also, I felt that this boy was courageous man because he kept trying to achieve his desire.
e1635107

Postby demi0206 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Hidemi

Since Isabelle has a great deal of curiosity, she grants cooperation for Hugo who tries to fix mechanical man which his father left. Interacting with Hugo, Isabelle feels he is going to change a something in her ordinal life in a good way. From the view of Hugo, Isabelle is an only person who he can share feelings such as joyful and sadness. That can be the reason why they become good friends.

The automaton is central to the story because he connects the past and the present world. The automaton is the key to find out several secrets: Hugo believes the automaton has a message from Hugo`s father, who died due to the fire, however, Isabelle and Hugo gradually find that Isabelle`s father, Georges Méliès, must be related to the automaton. Moreover, the existence of the automaton become the trigger to make differences in people`s lives who live in the current world.

In the movie, Hugo tells Isabelle that he depresses when he sees broken machine because they cannot do what they meant do. From Hugo`s perspective, Georges Méliès needs “fix” as same as broken machine. Through letting him face the past that he avoids to remember, Hugo tries to fix him.

It was a touching movie. Everyone is going to be happy in the end of the story, and the story teaches us the importance of taking action. I want to have courage to take action like Hugo.
demi0206

Postby Naomi Matsumoto » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:33 am

Naomi
Film 561

If I needed to describe this movie with one word, it would be "classical." This is because I felt that the movie's colors were not vivid and it was like relaxed atmosphere. I like this kind of movie because I usually watch movies which use vivid and colorful effects.

Hugo meets a girl who lives with Papa George. The girl's name is Isabelle, and she is really curious about secrets and treasure things. By spending time with her, Hugo tries to understand George and his dark and miserable history. At first, Hugo dislikes George because Hugo thinks his important notebook was burned by George. I do not want to give away the ending, but what I can say is that George also has important connections with the notebook, and he is not just a mean old mechanical man.

Another important person is the station inspector. At the begining of this film, he seems to be vicious. However, his mind changes by talking and staying with the flower lady. At the ending, he does a big crucial action, but I will not reveal it, so I recommend you watch this movie at least once.

Teacher's note: I hope this author takes note of my insertions into this well designed essay about such a lovely film. :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :(
Naomi Matsumoto

Postby Maisaalmedlej » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Hugo is a historical/drama/adventure movie that was released in 2011.
Hugo is an orphan who has no one except a drunk uncle who left him to live behind the clocks of a train station. Before his father passed, Hugo and his father were trying to fix a broken automaton that was left from a museum. So after his father's death, Hugo spent his days with his notebook and trying to find the key that will fix the automaton. Hugo ran into George Melies goddaughter, Isbaelle who loves adventure and helped him through his journey and putting the puzzle pieces together to discover what message the automaton will deliver.
Maisaalmedlej

Postby Murshed » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:05 am

Hugo and Isabelle became friends because they like to keep secrets. The automaton is important because his is the key to all the secrets in the movie. It was the connection between Hugo and Isabelle. George was sad and depressed. When George saw an old movie of his creation which was brought by Hugo he remembered his past. The movie was great, I loved the directing and the clothes represented the tine the movie was set in.
Murshed

Postby Majedabdulkarem » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:07 am

Hugo is a very cute and enjoyable film. Martin Scorsese brought the book to life. It showed very much suspense and even some laughs. Hugo is about a little brave boy who works at a train station in the clocks area where he finds this amazing robot that has the ability to do a lot of things along with an amazingly smart man.
Majedabdulkarem

Postby Lusiqi » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:32 am

Lusiqi
Film 561

Hugo is an orphan who lives in a train station. His obligation is to maintain the function of a big clock. Except for this routine, Hugo tries to fix an automaton which is left by his father. After a small conflict with Georges Méliès, Hugo loses his instructive notebook. In order to get the notebook back from Georges Méliès, Hugo reaches out to Georges Méliès's goddaughter to get some helps. They become good friends because they both have enthusiasm and adventurous spirits. They also change each other's lives.
The automaton contains not only the memory of Hugo's father, but also the secret of Georges Méliès's former experience. It is the key which can solve all puzzles.
This movie is a famous 3D movie. Besides of the striking visual aspect, this movie is also captivating in story. The director of Hugo sends a thank you letter to producers of early motion movies, which shows his appreciation and respect to them. I really enjoy watching this fantastic movie.
Lusiqi

Postby Hasumi » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Fu¥ilm 561
Hasumi

Hugo is the boy who lives in the big clock in station and he fixes clock instead of his uncle. He has one broken machine which is that he used to fix with his father. After he father died because of fire, he is fixing it by himself. One day, he tries to steal one of bolt from toy fix store in the station, but the owner of the store realizes it and catch Hugo. Then, the owner grabs Hugo’s note which is written the figure of machine. Hugo believes that machine shows some message from his father.
My favorite moment is that Hugo goes to owner’s house with grandchild of owner and find something related to owner’s past. At first, owner and his wife gets angry because they do not want to remember this memory. However, finally, they share what happened in the past. All of them, the owner, his wife, his grandchild and even Hugo seems happy.
Another my favorite moment is that Hugo walks around inside the big clock. I felt I explore inside with Hugo, although I have not entered inside the big clock.
I want to watch this movie again, when I have family in the future because I feel the bond of family through this movie.
Hasumi

Next

Return to Movie Reports