[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - THE LOST BOYS

THE LOST BOYS

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

THE LOST BOYS

Postby maikuu » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:18 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: THE LOST BOYS

Postby homoud1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:44 pm

So first off, I really enjoyed this movie because its so different than any other movie I have seen. The idea of vampires disguised as “cool kids” roaming around normal people throughout Santa Carla terrifying their prey is a unique thing about this movie because usually vampires live back in the medieval times in really old castles that seem haunted.

So Michael later on in the movie follows this girl named Star who grabbed Michaels attention which lead Michael to meet the vampires in disguise because of their relationship with Star. Afterwards, what really made Michael and Sam to make the decision to stop the vampires is that they have realized how bad they are by killing a lot of people so they can feed off of them, also how the vampires impact Santa Carla heavily in a negative way by causing so many people going missing throughout the years because of their horrific murders of innocent people.

They plan on defeating them by calling the Frog Brothers who show in the movie that they are experts when it comes to vampires. Later on, they plan to kill the vampires with wooden stakes pierced through their hearts or with holy water. As I said before, I really liked this movie due to it being unique from other movies I have watched and especially other vampire/Dracula movies. This movie is funny, scary, thrilling all at the same time and I recommend people to watch it to enjoy also improve their English by learning American phrases and sayings.

-Homoud

Lecturer notes: I enjoyed reading this mix of summary, opinion, and call to action. It addresses the prompt questions without calling them out directly, and, most importantly, it does NOT give away the ending. But it DOES tell us enough to pique our interest in "The Lost Boys." Thanks, author, for being the first to post.

--mike l.
homoud1

Postby Max rongqi » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:45 am

‘The lost boy’ is a wonderful movie although the film effects were far less than today it still grabbed the audience’s attention. The performance of the actor is also very exciting, especially the actor who plays frog brothers and Sam. When they realized that Michael had became vampire they decided to kill the leader of those vampires. That is the only way to save Michael.They made a lot of preparations to deal with vampires. For example, a wooden stick was used for physical attacks; holy water from the church plus a lot of vampire hateful garlic was used to subdue the vampire.Although garlic is not effective, holy water helps them out of danger.

The highlight of the film should be that Micheal did not change back to humans when David was killed because everyone thought that David should be the very first vampire.When everyone was ignorant and desperate, Max and Lucy heard the news and came back to home. Max admitted that he was the leader of the vampire and forced Lucy to become a vampire and wanted to marry her.Eventually grandpa drove down Max and burned him to death.All the half vampires have returned to humanity。

The film not only tells the story of a vampire, but also highlights the importance of the family. Brother Sam and Mom Lucy love their old brother Michael whether he is a human or a vampire.Because of their deep affection, Michael can change back to humanity.And the friendship between Sam and Frog Brothers also helped him.In the context of 1987, the film was well-made, including many dangerous scenes such as jumping off the abyss from the train tracks and motorcycle racing and most of the last fighting shots were challenging for the actors.The final happy ending also made this horror film more warm.Many of today's horror films made with computer effects cannot compare with this movie.
Max rongqi

Postby Jenny » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:51 am

My name is Jenny(Seul Lee).
Just looking at the title of the movie,
it was difficult to predict what the movie was about.
But after watching the movie,
I think the title of the movie is about a boy who loses his identity and becomes a vampire.

In fact, I'm not very good at watching horror movies.
Especially, I can't see the cruel scenes very well.
However, because this movie is a very old movie,
I thought that I can watched it confidently and thought there would be a lack of production,
BUT it was difficult to see it because even if this is an old movie but the direction in this movie is so incredibly detailed.
And because of the comic elements that appear in the middle of the movie, I could watch it with a smile.

Since the characters in the film played their roles faithfully,
I was able to concentrate on the film. It was also good that there was a reversal so I couldn't relax from beginning to end. and not like an old movie, the plot of the movie seemed very neat and nice.

It was even better to feel the atmosphere of Halloween because it was like watching the right movie during Halloween. :D
Especially, a vampire boy with white hair is so good at acting that if he actually comes across him, I will be in a row. :o

The movie was interesting, but the words used in the movie were impressive.
Because I learned English in Korea, I only knew the words or expressions in the textbook, but it was good to learn what words the local people use in these situations.

Even though I didn't understand all the movies I saw this time due to my lack of English skills, I am confident that I will understand 100 percent if I try! :D \
I can't wait for my classes to come. :D
Jenny

Postby Jay Jung » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:13 pm

I could not imagine that this movie would be flat and contentless.

First, to summarize the plot, Mother and two sons moved in a beach town called Santa Carla. Mother, Lucy, got divorced without receiving her alimony. So they moved to my grandfather's house. Michael and Sam are increasingly curious about this town. Michael looked at the pretty girl and fell in love at first sight. But she was also a girl of the neighborhood gangster, and Michael follows the girl and follows the gangsters and had a strange and weird experience. The gangsters saw hallucinations and sucked blood and jumped off the height. They were vampires. Eventually, Michael becomes a vampire and his brother Sam becomes a vampire hunter. And their falls in love with the vampire captain Max. It is a happy ending story that all of the brothers have joined forces to defeat vampires and Michael and his girlfriend are back to normal. I've been looking forward to seeing a scene or a story is missing.

What is memorable is the sound. When Michael learns about the culture of vampires, when Michael loves with his girlfriends, there are many scenes where music flows. It is a strange genre of music. It is hard to explain what kind of music is, but I thought that it does not match the scene. Star 's role as a heroine is also very small. There are almost no ambassador and no role. It does not offer special eye-catching distances. Rather, Michael and Sam's mother is a heroine. Perhaps Star was a rookie actor at the time.

There are many movies with vampires. Scary and cruel scenes are impressive, and some are comical and spontaneous. Some of the hottest action and dark vampire worlds are worth seeing. I think that story related to vampires pursue the interest. But I think the more exciting and humorous part should be inserted in this “The Lost Boys”. “The Lost Boys” is not a big advantage, apart from a little brotherhood and family affection. Vampires are more like gangs in the neighborhood than scary. Death is also very easy to die. I was disappointed that it was a plain story.
Jay Jung

Postby Takumi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:47 am

This was the first time to watch “The Lost Boys” and I was really enjoyed because this story was easy to understand and didn’t make me bother although it was very old movie. The idea of vampires is well known and I also know because the idea is same as the idea of movie “Twilight” and this movie is very famous. So now I think this kind of idea of vampires came from “The Lost Boys”.

My favorite character is Michael. My first impressions of him were nerdy, week, boring, conservative and negative because his appearance showed them but actually, he was like strong, had courage and cool therefore his gap caught my heart.

The Emerson family moved to Santa Carla living with mother’s father because she divorced her husband and starting new life.
When Michael went to some event in the town, he found a woman is named Star and he fell in love at first sight then spoke to her. She also cared about him but she followed some motorcycle gangs so he attracted them.

Then Michael became a vampire because he drank a few blood of vampire and Star was also a victim of vampire. Sam was Michael’s brother realized that Michael became a vampire so he asked the Frog brothers for help. They prepared a lot of things that vampires hated such as garlic water and garlic water guns and Michael fought as a vampire. After that, they were able to defeat them.
I could enjoy this movie because there were some changes like sometimes funny,
-Takumi
Takumi

Postby yoojinpa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi I’m Yoojin.
Actually I’m not good at watching horror movie, so I watched almost half of the movie with my eyes closed. When I searched the title of the movie, I was relieved that google said the genre was a comedy, but there were some cruel scenes. However, it was a special experience for me because I had no chance to see many classic movies. The only classic movie I know was Titanic.

First, the story begins with Emerson family moved their house to Santa Clara because Sam and Michael’s mom Lucy got divorced with her husband. They didn’t have enough money, so they moved to their grandfather’s house. However, Michael was tempted by a group of vampires and he became a vampire. Luckily, Michael’s brother Sam found out he is weird and started helping him and the girl Michael loves. And Michael rejected many temptations not to be a real vampire. Finally, while his mother Lucy was dating Max, the head of a vampire group, the brothers defeated the vampires in their grandfather's house.

I think this movie was different with the vampire movies that came out these days because the latest movies about vampires mainly talk about love stories between vampire and beautiful human women. But this film talks about love and trust between family members and human beings who do not abandon his own morality. There are some moments that I missed because of cruel scenes, but the actors’ acting, music and content were very impressive to me.

Lecturer notes: Yes, I agree that this is really a story about a family that unites against a common enemy and grows closer as a result. This is a popular movie theme (e.g. "A Quiet Place"). Thanks for posting.

--mike l.
yoojinpa

Postby Naf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Back in the 80s there was a family who moved to Santa Clara without known what the destiny that waiting for them. However, the family contain 4 people with there grandfather, two sons and single mom. The older son his name Michael and he loves riding bikes all the times. The other son his name is Sam and he loves reading comic books most of the time. The mom her name is Lucy she loves her children and she do what is possible to make them happy. Finally, grandpa he is living in Santa Clara most of his life and when his wife died 9 years ago he did not invite anyone to the house.

Nevertheless, the family had moved to Santa Clara to live with there grandpa and find a job to take care of the children. From the first sight you can know that Santa Clara is a city who full of crimes and gangs with stickers of missing children everywhere. After a while of living in the city Michael went to party near the beach. When we was waling he saw a beautiful girl who did not take of his eyes from her. The girl saw him and after a while of looking at her she felt uncomfortable and she ran away from him to ride with her boyfriend who was the leader of the lost boys gang. When Michael saw her with hem he started to be closer with them and get know more about her. After a while they invite him to come to their secret place who was an old hotel that full of dirt and net. Moreover, they give him the blood of their leader and the girl warned him that is blood and do not drink it. He thought she was joking and drank it then he went with them to a bridge to jump, he was scared at first but then he jumped and he woke up the next day full of headache without known that he transferred to a vampire.

Furthermore, Sam his brother noticed something wrong about him and he told his friends who they work in the comic book and they told him he became a vampire. However, Sam was scared at the beginning but he wants to help his brother and the only way id to defeat the vampire head. He called his friend who came with weapons to kill the lost boys gang. At the same day the gang came to kill Michael and Sam but the they defeated them and they killed all the gang members. In my opinion i think if I was there at the time when they made the movie it will be an incredible movie with the amazing soundtracks and the idea of the movie it was original. Also I liked the vampire customs it is looks real.

Lecturer notes: Thank you author for writing a thorough summary of "The Lost Boys." My one suggestion here is please let's not give away too much of the ending. This is what we refer to as a spoiler, to be avoided in this kind of writing. For this kind of writing, our theoretical goal is to get the reader excited enough to go watch the movie. What I love is this author's opinions at the end, sort of a closing to a good summary/setup. Thanks for posting.

--mike l.
Naf

Postby Yousef » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:22 pm

‘The Lost Boys’ was a very interesting movie to watch. In general, the movie was great, and I enjoyed every second of it because it was different from any movie that I`ve seen. The movie was very exciting and mysterious. The quality of the movie was good even though it was produced in 1987.

The story started when Lucy and her two children Michael and Sam AKA The Emerson family moved to Santa Carla, California, to live with her dad. This small town is known for its late-night parties. So, the two brothers went to explore the town, and, in the night they went to the party that’s when Michael saw this beautiful girl named Star and tried to go after her but he found out that she was with another guy named David a leader of a biker gang. Although he saw her with another guy, he didn’t stop chasing her until he got himself into a big trouble. He found out that David and his gang isn’t just a normal gang they are also vampires. David turned Michael into a vampire and wanted him to join them, but he refused and ganged up with his little brother and his new friends The Frog brothers. They are professionals when it comes to vampires. They have planned to kill all the vampires together to save the city.

Even though they didn’t know how to kill them and all that they knew is from comic books they didn’t hesitate because they wanted to end this nightmare and break the curse that is on this town. But before the battle, Michael and the 3 boys went to the vampire’s lair to save Star and an innocent kid [Laddie] that have been transformed without his well like Michael.

This movie was very fun to watch during Halloween and a very good choice for the first movie of many that we will watch this semester.

Lecturer note: So glad this author enjoyed "The Lost Boys." It does a good job of getting us in the "spirit" of Halloween. IMHO it stands the test of time pretty well too , having universal themes of family and trust.
Yousef

Postby Abdulrahman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:22 pm

The lost boys, a good vampire flick!, This movie features good script, good acting, and good story i liked the 80’s classic with the creepy atmosphere!

I think that Michael is attracted to the motorcycle gang because of the girl (Star) when he saw her at the carnival and got attached to her then she lead him to motorcycle gang, they turned out to be cool kids so he wanted to be cool like them to attract Star!
Abdulrahman

Next

Return to Movie Reports