[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - DUNKIRK

DUNKIRK

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

DUNKIRK

Postby maikuu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:50 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: DUNKIRK

Postby Jay Jung » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:49 pm

The movie "Dunkirk" is a film based on a true story based on an operation to rescue 40 British and Allied soldiers isolated on the Dunkirk coast of France during World War II. The 'Dunkirk Escape Operation' is regarded as an unprecedented event in world war history, which succeeded in withdrawing with minimal damage. Especially when the British warships to help escape were shot down by enemy fighters, it was a precious victory that was made by combining the strengths of cargo ships, fishing boats, cruise ships, and civilian ships. 'Dunkirk' was expressed in a very real sense through the hands of Christopher Nolan, the circumstances that were urgent at the time. The scripts of characters in 'Dunkirk' was very small. Even the main characters expressed their emotions by expressions instead of ambassadors.

There were 400,000 soldiers in Dunkirk, but the coast was quiet. The tension of the movie was high, the situation on the sea was always tense. This film was really realistic about the times. The audience was able to immerse themselves without the speech of the characters such as the dark atmosphere and the urgent moment. In fact, war movies often have a simple structure. Allied and enemy forces are clearly divided and must be reached clearly, and after a brilliant fighting scene, they eventually win or escape. This is the typical structure of a war movie. But 'Dunkirk' is a war movie, but it is not this structure. The enemy does not appear in the movie at all, and there are no fierce battle scenes to deliver bullets.

The traditional war movie focuses only on the story of the hero who sweeps the battlefield, but this movie reveals the situation at that time. Therefore, the situation at that time is more realistic. In 'Dunkirk', all three time settings of sky, land, and sea are set differently. Each time zone was connected together, so the tension was amplified several times. I think that ‘Dunkirk’ directing should be recorded historically. It is amazing to have kept the tension throughout the movie even though the villain does not exist.
Jay Jung

Postby Max rongqi » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:49 pm

Hello everyone today I want to discuss about movie ‘Dunkirk’.

To understand this movie we need to know the history about the World War II. The director of this movie Christopher Nolan has said ‘Dunkirk's retreat was an extremely important turning point in the history of World War II.’ If the big retreat fails, the British will have to surrender to Germany, the whole world will fall, or the world will go to a different destiny. No doubt, Germany will occupy Europe, and the United States is not willing to go to war. The Dunkirk retreat is not only a turning point in World War II, but also a turning point in world history. This is a decisive moment. The success of the Great Retreat has made Churchill inject spirituality into the people. The idea of victory allowed him to encourage his army and give them a spirit of resistance, even though this big retreat seemed like surrender. On the military level, they failed, but from the perspective of the entire human race, this is a major victory.

However, in the movie those young soldiers won’t know how important things they did, for them the only thing need to be considered is to live. And I think the land part war is the most dangerous one. Also the director chose young actors with immature acting to reproduce the real feeling of those soldiers. The real World War II veterans who came to the premiere of the film commented that the movie is similar to .their experience but the gunfire is not that big. This movie used three difference time lines to describe the story. Those three time lines represent sea land and air. The intense and oppressive background music makes the audience feel worried about the comfort of the characters at any time. It is worth to mention that there are very few lines in the movie. And the dim tone that war films often have grab audiences’ attention. By the way, I had seen this movie in cinema with IMAX screen and I was deeply impressed by the sound effects of the theater.

This movie is my favorite war movie I will recommend it to my friends. :P
Max rongqi

Postby homoud1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:32 am

I really enjoyed this movie because it shows how serious and frustrating Dunkirk was in real life, how the soldiers suffered harshly, and especially because the world was at war. In the movie, people who were at sea and the people who were on land both had their lives on high risk because of the bombings from the war planes above coming in constantly throughout the movie. Which had the soldiers praying for their lives.

All the lives of the soldiers were in Ferriers hands because he had to shoot down the enemy war planes that were bombing and sinking all ships that were trying to save the soldiers by taking them back home. Also the enemy war plane was bombing helpless soldiers on land, so taking him down was crucially important for Ferrier.

I really liked this movie just because how thrilling the story is and the fact that this is a true story.

Lecturer note: Good report, especially about Ferrier. As you watched it, did you get the sense that he was thinking about his responsibility to his men? For me it was hard to tell. He seemed to be very focused on getting his job done in a very professional manner. Thanks, author, for a nice post.
homoud1

Postby Jenny » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi! I'm Jenny.

Today I want to talk about "Dunkirk" Before I talk about this movie, I want to talk about the director, Christopher Nolan. Christopher Nolan seems to be very good at handling the time of the movie. It seems to be acting as a liveliness to the movie. I think this movie is more of a director's talent than a subject. I used to like Christopher Nolan, but after watching this movie, I liked him more. He is a genius!

Also, because "Dunkirk" is a true story, it was much easier to get involved in it. The fear of soldiers was well conveyed in the battle scene that took place in the sea, on land and in the sky. I felt as if I were at the scene of the war. express the horrors of war well. Britain lost the war against France in the film,

I was really impressive especially in the event of civilian ships going to Dunkirk to save their soldiers, breaking the stereotypes that they usually did not welcome back. I thought it was a scene where I felt warm. It was also very impressive to see the citizens handing out beer, cheering the soldiers back on the train from the end of the movie.

I don't really like war movies because I hate cruel movies, but I enjoyed watching Dunkirk very much.

Lecturer notes: I love it when a student recognizes the work of a great director or other behind-the-scenes person involved in the making of a movie. I agree that Christopher Nolan is quite special going all the way back to his screenplay for Memento (2000), a movie with two converging timelines, if I remember correctly. I'm glad this author enjoyed the war movie that Dunkirk is, so unusual for the genre. But what else would you expect from Christopher Nolan? Thanks.
Jenny

Postby Takumi » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:07 am

This was three times to watch “Dunkirk” movie. This was difficult to understand because there were divided into three scenes and they are “the land”, “the sea” and “the sky” and the timelines were also divided into each scene “one week”, “one day” and “one hour”. So when I watched the first time, I was confused because of this division. In addition, there were very little lines and it was told us the story by detail. These difficulties lead to confusion but finally, I could understand the story through watch three times.

One of three scenes of them, the sky was the most dangerous battle field, because there were many risks in any battle field such as gun shot. However, besides there was a likelihood that the plane crash was caused by strafing, shortage of fuel and fuel leak. So, the sky was more dangerous than other battle field.

Mr. Dawson headed to Dunkirk to save soldiers of England willing to his live, because he felt responsible for his generation that started war. He was not able to bear the death of young soldiers.

The pilot Farrier could save so many lives of allies but his plane’s engine stopped, so his plane crashed on the beach of Dunkirk. Then, he was caught by Jerry. He might have forced labor as a prisoner.

I have never watched this kind of movie. Although this is a war movie, we could not see the enemies and there was no cruel scene. I thought to escape from Dunkirk is victory.
-Takumi
Takumi

Postby yoojinpa » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Actually, I watched this movie twice, but it was still a moving movie. When I watched this movie at first, it was little hard to understand the content of movie because there were 3 perspective, so I needed to concentrate on the movie very hardly. However, when I saw this movie for the second time, I could see scenes that I missed at first and understand the film well. Although it was Christopher Nolan’s film, it didn’t make a big splash in Korea. If the fact that this movie is based on a true story became more popular, more people would have watched this movie. Like many people, my favorite scene was when the British people came to Dunkirk with their boats to pick up the soldiers and when soldiers arrived, the British people welcomed them with warm food and drinks without condemning them as defeatists. So, I think it’s great that people went to Dunkirk at the risk. If I were the owner of the boat, I wouldn’t have done it because of fear that I might die.
I think the sea is the most dangerous place in the film because if an airplane flies and drops a bomb while the armies in a boat, I think there is little chance to survive. Even if they escape from a ship and survives, it is too far to swim to land, and if they wait for a rescue team in the sea, they may die because of hypothermia.
yoojinpa

Postby Yoshino » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Between the land, the air, and the sea, which theater of war seems the most dangerous in this film?
-It cannot say easily which theater is the most dangerous though, I would say the air is the most dangerous theater because the pilots had to protect over 400,000 soldiers during fighting to German until they go back to England. Not only the air but the land and the sea also are dangerous. English soldiers forced to stay on the beach for long time, which means they can’t protect them self from German attack. Citizens tried to rescue soldiers them self but they didn’t have weapon and their ships weren’t for combat. They might be attacked by U-boat or torpedo.
Why are Mr. Dawson, George, and Peter willing to risk their lives to sail over to Dunkirk?
-Mr. Dawson and Peter lost one of their family in the war. Mr. Dawson indicated to George with sounds that were Spitfires and engines were Rolls-Royce, and Peter mentioned to Collins his brother who was in the British air force. Thus, they knew about British air force well. They had reason for saving the English soldiers. They didn’t want to lose the soldiers as their family. For George, he just thought to help Mr.Dawson and Peter, but he knew that he got in to the war gradually, such as seeing many armies in the ship and rescuing soldier who has shell shock.
Describe Farrier's work as a British fighter pilot. What is his fate on the beach of Dunkirk?
-His work is to protect British and French armies from German during evacuation. He contributed for Operation Dynamo. He will be taken prisoner but his fate is unsure. Fortunately, perhaps, he might be able to go back to country to use boat or be put in prisoner’s camp and be forced to hard work. At least, there is the truth that is one of the air force fighter succeeded to go back his country.
Write a setup/opinion of DUNKIRK.
-“Dunkirk” is literary I think. Because German army didn’t appear, and the film showed us lines, airplanes, shoots instead of German. Also, the music urges people’s feeling offensive. The film described the war addition, it was suspense movie. The actors were only British actors. From perspective of language, they spoke British only. There was no other country pronunciation or intonation. It could hear their real conversation.
That is one of all my best, I appreciate you.
Have you watched "Battle of Britain"?
Yoshino

Postby Naf » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Back in the last century in world war II, the war was between many countries against Germany,. However, the countries were British, France and the Netherlands, the British were never get occupied by another country. Furthermore, there were a place called Dunkirk, this place were the war was in her summit of strength, the British soldiers failed to defeat the German and they decided to withdraw and go back to home. But the German they did not let them go, when the soldiers started to stand up in lines to go back at home by the ships. The German send their fighters to destroy the ships when they were waiting in lines, and even when they get inside the ship. There was approximately 400,000 soldiers over there, many of them were killed in the sea, which was the dangerous place for them even from the beach.

Nevertheless, even though the war killed many people, there was a 3 people who risks in their lives and there boats, and went to the war place due to help the soldiers go back home. Even thought they know how is this place could be very dangerous but they did not care about it. They believe that everyone should go back and celebrate with their family. When they arrived to Dunkirk there was an enemy fighters which destroyed the British ships and forced the soldiers to jump in the ocean. However, the British fighters came and destroyed the enemy airplanes.

Moreover, after destroying the airplane the soldiers started to cheer up for him and his hard work, after that his plane ran out from gasoline and started to get down on the beach. The pilot accepted his destiny and get off in the beach
Naf

Postby SkylarLee » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:40 pm

It is an anti-war film based on World War II.There are not many lines in this film that have the emotional power of the golden age of the silent film. 'Dunkirk' has a high degree of recognition in Europe and the US, and it is clear that there is a considerable proportion of sentimental points. The director, Nolan selected the story of the three physical spaces of sea, land and air.With the help of cross-cutting and magical music, the physical time and screen time of the three countdown stories were compressed in different proportions , and the experimental montage effect of rhythm.It's such an excellent movie.I would love to watch it again! :D
SkylarLee

Next

Return to Movie Reports