[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - THE DESCENDANTS

THE DESCENDANTS

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

THE DESCENDANTS

Postby maikuu » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:37 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: THE DESCENDANTS

Postby Jay Jung » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:25 am

This movie was quiet but peaceful and calm but bitter. Hawaii's atmosphere did not fit well with the question of whether a person died or not, but there was a happy and positive energy in the movie. George Clooney's performances also stood out. Now he was not awkward to play the old man thoroughly. George Clooney got the image of a good old man from a lightly boiled fat and a medium white hair. And there was grace. It is no exaggeration to say that George Clooney has saved this movie.

George Clooney, Matt King, had a job that he could not miss and inherited the land he had preserved. The only thing he lacks in Hawaii is that he can not get along well with his family. The fact that Matt King 's wife fell into a coma in an accident revealed little by little. Despite the dismissal of a family member, the film was overflowing. The sunset and the sea in beautiful Hawaii seemed like watching a sightseeing promotional video, which contrasted with the situation that Matt King was in. Meanwhile, Matt King was shocked to find out that his wife was having an affair. It was the moment when a decisive their family life was revealed.

Ironically, his wife 's affection allowed him to pay more attention to his family. The first daughter was busy doing dating without studying, and the second daughter was too young. Both daughters needed dad 's hand. The three families, including two daughters, are leaving to find a man his wife cheated on. This has helped to make the family more secure. The moments of the crisis gave a bright light because of the romanticism of the Hawaiian background. The rhythm of the Hawaiian music also played a part. This joyful rhythm seemed to solve the crisis of Matt 's family soon. His wife shocked Matt King and died, but it gave him the opportunity to get together with his family.

lecturer notes: Thank you, author for being first to post on "The Descendants". I like how this observation indicates links between the various elements of the story, both characters and events. This demonstrates powerful insight.

--mike
Jay Jung

Postby yoojinpa » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:04 pm

This movie reminded me of my family in Korea. I am not used to expressing my feelings, so I haven’t told my family I love them. Actually, my grandmother is okay now, but she was recently hospitalized complaining of lethargy. At that time, I was really scared that she might die. She is really indispensable to me because when I was young, my parents were so busy that she raised me. This story is not related to the movie, but on the night, I saw the movie, I called my grandmother and said I love her.

This movie is the story of one man who’s wife is in coma. She had a boat accident and he was waiting for her to wake up, but then the doctor says she has no chance of surviving. And he heard from his daughter that her wife cheated on him, so he left to find the man with his two daughters.

Eventually, he met the man and said his wife is dying. But other person came to the hospital instead of that man, and finally his wife died.

I think he is really great, because if I were him, I would never tell him about the truth. Because But I think he acted like that because he really loves his wife.
yoojinpa

Postby Takumi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:09 am

This was the first time to watch “The Descendants” and I thought that this was so good story. And also this was the first time to watch this kind of movie in this class, so I could really enjoy the movie. This story was about the death and of Matt’s wife, Elizabeth, but actually she had an affair. He was really confused because his wife was dying and it was because of her affair. So he went to Kauai Island to find her lover. If I had been him, I also would have been confused because his situation was terrible.

There is a relationship between the land deal, the boat accident, and Brian Speer. First, Matt was so busy because of his land deal, so he could not meet his wife frequently, therefore she had an affair with Brian Speer. And during Matt did not meet her, she got the boat accident and she fell in coma.

After the boat accident, his two daughters are named Scottie and Alexandra shocked. Scottie became emotionally unstable and caused troubles. Alexandra was so upset and confessed that their dispute was caused by the love affair of Elizabeth.

Finally, Matt decided that he did not sell the land because he wanted to keep the great nature. In addition, if he had sold the island, the commission would have been charged for Brian Speer. I think it was one of the reasons of his decision.

I think this family movie is so sad, but the bond of the family became stronger than before the accident. If I had been Matt, I would have killed her lover.
-Takumi
Takumi

Postby Jenny » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi! I'm jenny.
This movie reminded me my father, He is so-called worker- Holic, so his job was most important things in his life, So he didn’t care about anything other than his job even me and my mother. When I was eight years old, my mother was in a car accident, But at that time, I was too young to take care mother, and there is no older sister or older brother who care my mother because I’m an only child. Me and my mother need my father. I called him and told him about mom’s accident, but he said that he had no time to visit hospital because he had an important meeting, and he said that just asked for help from nurses and doctors.

He never visited the hospital before she left the hospital. I hated my dad so much since that time, and my mom became estranged from him after the incident. In a bad relationship with my father, I graduated middle school and high school. One day, My father tried to go to the travel with me and mother, but we don’t want to go travel with him because I still hate my father at time, and my father feel lonely and he regret what he did since I was eight years old.

So after that day, he always buys some flowers on the way he come back to home after working and gives it to my mother. At first time, my mother didn’t received my father’s flowers but after 3 month, she finally receive the flowers and forgive him. And now, I and my father and mother have a great relationship. My father take care about my mother and me more than his job. I think the most important thing in our life is family. We will become more happiness when we have a good relationship with our family. I like this movie very much and especially the music in the movie was so good. And I’m really feel sad that the film class is finished now. I will to take film class again next semester.

lecturer comment: While reading this and other student comments about "The Descendants" I have been deeply touched by how this film has inspired you all to share personal stories about your families. This is something I did not expect. I too came from a family who struggled with its identity, so perhaps this is why this movie resonates with anyone who came from a family (all of us). Thank you so much for your heartfelt posts.

--mike
Jenny

Postby Max rongqi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:04 am

From the voice-over of the opening of the film, Matt King, played by George Clooney, is a native of Hawaii. His ancestors left a large piece of land, and he and other successors were ready to sell the land. Matt's wife, Elizabeth, was lying in the hospital after an accident. The most important thing is that after the doctor told Matt that he would lose his wife forever, the daughter told him that his wife was cheating with Brian Speer.

Fortunately,Scottie and Alexandra helped Matt a lot to. Like Scottie acted as a good girl and help his father brought her sister back. And Alexandra gave his father power to face Brian Speer and told him the truth that her mother was going to died. Even though Matt’s wife was cheating, he still loves her. Matt finally under pressure, refused to sell all his land to the developer, refused the possibility of becoming a billionaire, but chose to find a way out for the land, or sovereignty in the remaining seven years.

The end of this movie is my favorite part. In the relationship between Matt and his two daughters, the movie is obviously an open ending. After spreading his wife's ashes to the sea, the director added a scene to the audience. There were no words, only the father and the daughter sat quietly on the sofa watching TV. A broken family relationship was cured at the last minute, and it was difficult for the audience to say goodbye.

And the most funny part in this movie is the chicken which we can see everywhere hahaha. :lol: :lol:
Max rongqi

Postby Abdulla » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:19 pm

The Descendants sad move and so dramatically
The character Alexander she is one of my favorite actors and I like the Hawaiian vibes in the movie
The movie is pretty sad but it’s true story of many families
Abdulla

Return to Movie Reports