CRASH-Character Study

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: CRASH-Character Study

Postby zhangjing0598 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:55 am

1. Christine is the most unbelievable character. Although she experienced unfair violence by Ryan, she still cannot reject Ryan’s help in the crash because Ryan is the only one who can save her.

2. Based on the first question and answer, Christine is also a successful character and she changed a lot in this movie. After being alive in this crash, she released and forgave Ryan and her husband. This behavior also saved her family.
zhangjing0598

Postby manqi826 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:55 am

Which character or relationship was the most unrealistic or unbelievable?
In my opinion, I don't think that officer John Ryan could change his thought and behaviors easily. If a policeman does not even respect people based on his or her race, it is suspectable whether or not he would put his life in danger in order to save the people who he does not even care. Therefore, I do not really believe that John Ryan would have saved Christine at that point.
Which character changed the most in terms of Intercultural Communication (for better or for worse) during the course of Crash?
Even though officer Tommy Hansen first helped Cameron Thayer (a black man) avoid getting hurt from other white officers (Tommy's colleagues), he killed detective Waters' brother, Peter(a black man), while driving him. While it was not on purpose, he just left him died and destroyed all the evidence that could damage his fame. It literally destroyed his justice characteristic and made him become a worse person.
manqi826

Postby Ariainus » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:57 am

1. Personally speaking, I think the most unbelievable plot is the relationship between John Ryan and Christine. Because at first, I consider John Ryan as a bad person, Christine was sexually harassed by him. But in a car accident, Ryan carefully pulled Christine's skirt down to cover her thighs and rescued her eventually. :D

2. I hold the believe that Jean Cabot changed the most in terms of Intercultural Communication. Because being robbed by two blacks, she began to have stereotypes about non-whites, and she hated her maid a little bit. However, after she fell on her leg, she discovered that the non-white maid she hated was the one who really cared about her and took care of her the most. In the end, she has eliminated her prejudice against her maid and said that the non-white maid was her best friend. :P :P
Ariainus

Postby tim » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:03 am

1. I think Officer John Ryan and Christine's relationship was the most unbelievable. What a coincidence! The police who saved you from the car accident was the person who raped your body with his fingers! The policeman might feel guilty so that he helps the woman get out of the burning car even if he would also die. In addition, when Christine was secured, she possibly forgave the police.

2. In my opinion, Jean's mind changed totally. At first, she was racist against blacks because she was robbed by two blacks. So she doesn’t trust all the black people around her. But after she fell from the stairs, she found her best friend was not a Whiteman. So she changed her mind. The color of skins cannot decide the person's personalities.
tim

Postby Kenneth » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:04 am

1. I believe that the relationship between officer John Ryan & Christine Thayer was the most unrealistic or unbelievable. The main problem between them is racial discrimination. On the on hand, I think the officer will not finger fuck the black woman because the officer is being trained. In addition, the officer are very disgusted with black people, so he cannot do things like that. On the another hand, the black women will not endure this humiliation. She can submit to the local police station or ask a lawyer afterwards because her and her husband’s family are in good economic condition.

2. Officer Tommy Hansen. He set Cameron Thayer free to go in an accident without scruples about their different races. He changed his attitude to accepted different cultures and to be more justice and objective.
Kenneth

Postby FEI » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:07 am

1.Anthony was the most unrealistic character because he was a robber who wanted to earn money, at the beginning, but, in the end of the movie he decided to release the Chinese guys from van, which would let he lose a chance to earn money. This change is too large in only several days. Maybe someone could change after several years. However, it is too unrealistic to change only in several days.
2.Anthony is the guy who changes a lot. At beginning, he was a carjacker who used his race as an excuse to robe the richer and even not wanted to save the life of the Asian. However, after he tried to robe the Thayer, a TV director, he changed Anthony's mind. Actually, Thayer could let the policeman catch Anthony, but Thayer did not do that. He told Anthony to be a good man and dropped Anthony on the street, which touched the Anthony's heart. Therefore, at the end of the movie, Anthony released those Chinese guys who were sold by human trader. At last, Anthony felt happy to be a good man.
FEI

Previous

Return to Movie Reports