[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

Postby maikuu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:17 pm

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Postby Yongsung Hong » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi. Mike this is Alex.

I chose the character who is the blind old black guy. His name is "no name". Sounds like a life. We do not know our future.He looks like a god, director. He opened a movie with a talking point and finished the movie in a way that rippled my heart. I chose him because I was really touched by his speech.

Actually I can not write exactly what he said, but his meaning is that
Yongsung Hong

Postby Vanessa Lee » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 am

Hello, Mike. This is Vanessa.

That story happened in the Southern U.S. during the 1930s. My favorite character is music. I especially like these two songs
Vanessa Lee

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Postby Tomomi Kosumi » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:35 pm

I am sorry Mike. :!:
But I could not find the character who I like. :o
And also I could not understand the English they speak. :|
Tomomi Kosumi

Postby maikuu » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Tomomi (and others who had trouble understanding)--

In my 1-3 p.m. class, which was your class, there were no subtitles. This is because I cannot access the subtitles without the remote device. My other class has subtitles. This makes it much easier to understand the movie.

So it was frustrating for me, not being able to offer the best viewing experience to my amazing students. I understand that it is probably difficult for some to hear the words without subtitles. I'm very sorry about this.

Tomomi, please feel free to write about any other observation or opinion you have. The important thing is to practice writing. I really like what you said about Iron Giant.

Thanks,

--Mike :roll:
maikuu
Site Admin

Postby baek jongho » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:47 pm

Frankly speaking, I couldn't understand most of dialogues. And, I also couldn't follow the story of movie. I think they didn't speak regular English. It's too hard to listen for me! :shock:

So, I'd like to write about three things what I felt and remembered.

At the beginning, three guys who are Everett, Peter, and Delmar break away from prisoner's work place for 'treasure'. It was very interesting to me. They just escape for the treasure - although they aren't sure it's real. Their behavior is so funny and thoughtless. I love a no-plan adventure story like that.

Secondly, three guys meet with sirens by chance. After being tempted by them, Everett and Delmar recognize Pete's disappearance and see only Pete's clothes. At this time, Delmar sees a toad that is jumping from inside of Pete's shirt. Delmar trusts that the toad is Pete! His silly action is so ridiculous.

And last, I still hum a song 'I am a man of constant sorrow'. It makes me to search on internet!. I like charming country music. And the singer's voice is quite good.

Even though I didn't know the whole story of 'O brother', I think it has a lot of fun and touching episodes. So.. I like it :)

Teacher's note: There is no need to understand every word of this beautiful story to appreciate it. Looks like you felt some appreciation. I hope you watch this movie again after you English gets better. Try these web sites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Constant_Sorrow
baek jongho

Postby YUCHEN FAN » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:44 am

Hi Mike.

This is Yuchen Fan.

When I finish watching this movie, it let me understand one thing: that everyone is not bad, even though they did something wrong before. If you can give them the opportunity to correct, they also can be useful people for society.

It was like this with Everett, Delmar, Pete, but my favorite character is the audience of the ceremony because everyone forgave them, and Everett and his wife got together again. So I think
YUCHEN FAN

Postby Shihuang Wu » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi Mike

This is Huang.

In this movie? I choose Everett!.. because he is smart and funny? I think he is the Captain of other two guys? He always has many ideas?

Teacher's note: I agree that Everett is the "leader of this here outfit."
Shihuang Wu

Postby Effy Choi » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi, Mike.

I am Effy.

My favorite character in O Brother, Where Art Thou is Pete. I chose Pete for the reason that sometimes his expression is so funny. For example, my favorite scene is where Pete falls into the river near the ministry. At this time his face is so funny. Also, his appearance is funny too. He looks like a little squirrel. He is short and skinny.

Also, I like the song that the guys sing. Its name is
Effy Choi

Postby Shoko » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:04 pm

My favorite character in this movie is Delmar. We can say his characteristic appearance is his height. He is the smallest guy among the three. There are two reasons why I like him. It is because he is very innocent and because he is sensitive.

When his friend, Pete, is missing on the shore, and a toad comes out from under his remained clothes, Delmar believes without any doubt that Pete has been turned into a toad. Thereafter, he holds the toad as if it really were Pete although the other friend, Everelt, says it must not be Pete. Delmar is a very naive person, I think.

There is another incident in which he shows his sensitivity. One day at restaurant, Delmar and Everelt meet a beefy man with a jutting belly. The guy misunderstands that they have a box full of money. Actually, the only thing in the box is the toad (aka Pete). When the beefy man opens it and finds "Pete," he gets angry because of his disappointment and crushes the toad. Delmar is shocked by the death of the toad and loses counsciousness because he thinks Pete is killed.

For these reasons, I like Delmar.

Teacher's note: Yes, the whole Delmar/toad sequence really shows us Delmar's character and makes us like him for trying to protect Pete even though we're, "not really sure that is Pete."
Shoko

Next

Return to Movie Reports