O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Postby bavas » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:09 pm

BUKET BAVAS
MY FAVORITE CHARACTER

I like O Brother, Where Art Thou. Al the characters are funny, and they have different qualities. But my favorite character is Delmar because he is the most funny person in this movie. His behavior is strange, so this behavior is generaly attractive for a viewer. Delmar is always shallow and irrational. These make him a funny person.

Even when the three escapees are in a bad situation, Delmar can still think about a stupid idea. Because of this, his character is so enjoyable. In one part of the movie, Delmar thinks Pete is dead, but then Delmar and Everett see a frog under Pete's clothes. Therefore, Delmar thinks Pete's soul is inside the frog. He catches the frog and speaks to it. This is a good part about Delmar in the movie.

Because of these reasons my favorite character is Delmar.

Teacher's note: When you say Delmar is funny, are we laughing at him or with him (big difference)?
bavas

Postby ryan kwag » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi Mike

I'm Ryan Kwag.

I couldn't understand all of the little stories, but I think the main point is that three prisoners escape from the chain gang and are now seeking the treasure.

I like George Clooney's Everett. In my opinion, Everett is the leader of the three prisoners. He tells his colleague that he knows the place where the treasure is. This turns out to be a lie.

He tricks the other friends and stops his wife from marrying another guy. I think Everett is a true lover. Sorry for his other two friends, but he reconciles with his wife. Also Everett and his prison colleagues are famous for The Soggy Bottom Boys. They sing well, so I like his character :D

Teacher's note: This sums up Everett quite neatly. Even though he lies, it is for good reason. So we forgive him.
ryan kwag

Postby yuto xiaotao_zhong » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:25 pm

Hello Mike.

This is Yuto.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? To be honest?I didn't understand what it was talking about when I saw this movie for the first time. However, my favorite character is Everett. Firstly, he lies to everyone about a treasure, but he just wants to persuade Pete and Delmar to escape with him so he can go back to find his wife.

From this reason, we can see that Everett is a faithful man. He loves his wife and his family. I like this kind of man very much. Although his wife betrayed him and is now engaged to another man, Everett still cares for her. He does everything to get his family back. Although his wife is so cold-hearted, picky, and fake, he loves her the same as he used to.

What's more, Everett is also a righteous man. When Pete is caught by policeman, Everett and Delmar save him, even though it is very dangerous. This is another reason why I like him.

Teacher's note: You describe the relationship between Everett and Penny quite accurately, I'd say. Penny doesn't seem to be the most easy-to-get-along-with person, yet Everett never questions his own need to be with her.
yuto xiaotao_zhong

Postby Nicolas » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:45 pm

Delmar is my favorite character because he looks like an idiot. He's the funniest actor.

Teacher's note: What can I say?
Nicolas

Postby Heejung Shin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:14 am

Hi Mike!

This is Heejung.

I think this movie is so funny and exciting. Right? And my favorite movie star is George Clooney. However, my English skill is so bad now. So I couldn't understand all movie story, I'm really sorry about that... but I remember movie characters. My favorite character is one grandfather. This character has no name in this movie.

But I think he seems to be a great man. When the three prisoners escape and meet this man, he seems to give them a great lesson. Because of this man, the three prisoners learn a lesson and decide to find what I think is the fortune or treasure. I was impressed with what he said. I think I will study hard to learn English and watch this movie again.

Bye!^^

Teacher's note: I strongly agree that it is not so important to understand the entire movie. Also, after you study English for some time, watch the movie again. You can measure how much your English has grown.
Heejung Shin

Postby JinYoung Jang » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:59 am

Hello Mike :)

I am Jinyoung

When I see this movie I have only one thought in my head. Wow , George Clooney can act as a funny character. It's so funny kkkkkk And Delmar's character is like child and stupid...............:) And his thinking is so simple and cute !

Although they're fugitives, I envy just one thing because they find freedom and treasure................. It's kind of an adventure to them right? kkk Anyway I can't remember everything .. Sorry mike :oops:

See you Monday!! :lol:

Teacher's note: Many people who saw O Brother, Where Art Thou were surprised at George Clooney's comedic acting, myself included. It's one of the reasons I like this film too.
JinYoung Jang

Postby liu yujun » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:22 am

Hi Mike.

My English is too poor to understand this movie in class. I couldn't follow the subtitles and couldn't get the conversations. Therefore I watched O Brother, Where Art Thou once again at home with my home language subtitles. And I found that this movie is great!

The character which I want to talk about is Pete. The strongest impression of Pete is the moment when he, Delmar, and Everett talk about their plans after they get the money. He says he would open a good restaurant. From my perspective, Pete doesn
liu yujun

Postby TAK OK-JEONG(AMY) » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:40 am

This is Amy, IEP 2 class student.

My favorite character to me in this movie was Delmar. To be honest, while watching this movie, I could hardly understand what the characters were saying exactly. But I think they were quiet funny and unique in this movie. The reason I like Delmar is because he has a very innocent simple mind in this movie.

One impressive and funny scene is when Delmar misunderstands that Pete has became a frog. He thinks the frog must be Pete and calls him with a desperate but funny motion. Second, I like the scence when Delmar, Everett, and Pete sing and dance into the record booth. it is hilarious, and I like the song very much.

Moreover, I think the music is also pretty interesting in this movie. Some parts used country music and others used a musical style. It felt a little weird at first because I 've watched only a few musical movies, but it was quiet interesting to see, and it gave me a high impact (impression) of each scene.

Teacher note: I'm glad you were able to take something entertaining and useful from this movie. It is not one of the easier movies to understand.
TAK OK-JEONG(AMY)

Postby Jessie park » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:36 am

I personally like a caracter called "Delmar". I was not be able to stop laughing because the character is so funny and foolish. The man looks foolish, but he has a bit of pureness. He has the simple desire to regain a farm which he had forgotten.

Although he suffers from the situation, he doesn't give up hope. I don't find characters nowadays having such pureness.

Teacher's note: Good point. Delmar's pureness is one of the main reasons we like his character so much. And because he's so foolish, we instinctively want to protect him.
Jessie park

O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

Postby omar moroco » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 am

The role of Everett, who is an escaped prisoner, is played very well by George Clooney. His personnage is that of a casual man who is just happy to be out the jail. He's not a sadistic person; he doesn't want to hurt anyone. Everett is a risk-taker person who is ready to do anything to make money.

He has a special and funny way to speak. He is strong and funny. He's an adventurous man. After escaping jail, he is not afraid to meet unusual people and do crazy things with them. For example, he tries singing to make money. He never gives up and keeps going. He can adapt himself easily at any situations. He knows how to create a funny atmosphere and that's why he is loved by everyone. Moreover, he loves his daughters whom he has not seen for a long time.

Teacher's note: Looks like you captured the down-to-Earth side of Everett pretty well. Would you also agree that he is world-wise and perhaps educated, non-religious but instead prefers logic and reason? :roll:
omar moroco

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Reports