O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Postby Tinlun » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:23 am

My favorite character is Delmar. Of the three of main characters, he is the most silent and inconspicuous. However, he has a special charm that makes me like him. In the sirens sequence, he supposed that Pete was changed into frog. He was too so about Pete. That action makes me feel that he is a friendly man.

After that, they meet
Tinlun

Postby klaudia » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:00 am

My favorite character from the movie 'O Brother, Where Art Thou?' is Everett, played by George Clooney because of his sarcastic and ironic wit and his outspoken mouth. He is quick with his tongue and he has a talent for conversation. Although Everett can be a gentleman with manners, he is also the most intellectual and polite one, which is in contradiction to his time in prison.

Everett is the main character who takes the leading role of the group of three. He calls himself 'the tactician' and indeed he is the one who arranges to sing at a radio station, so they earn money the quickest and easiest way. All in all, he holds the group together and is the entertainer and idea-maker at once, which makes him most interesting, in my opinion.

Klaudia Guca

Teacher note: Well done! :ugeek: Very few grammatical errors. BTW, Big Dan Teague also notes that Everett has the "gift of gab."
klaudia

Postby Desiree Lenz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:12 am

Iron Giant:

I think this movie is very emotional because the main character has good feelings and the monster is so nice to Hogarth, who teaches the monster how to talk. This scene almost made me cry. I think in this movie Hogarth and his mother have a great relationship. And Dean helps out Hogarth and the monster. It's beautiful that he marries Hogarth's mom in the end.

When the man from the government rents the spare room in Hogarth's house, Hogarth is clever enough not to say anything about the Iron Giant. He does everything to protect his iron friend. He gives him a home and takes him to the junkyard so he can eat his metal. I was crying when the army tries to kill the giant. But the Iron Giant gives his life to save the world and all the people that do not even know him. They're all wrong about the Iron Giant.

This movie is all about friendship and what you would do for friends or family. How much would you give? People these days do not give everything.

O Brother Where Art Thou?:

My favorite is Everett bacause he loves his hair, and he tries everything to get his wife back again. He is a gentleman but dangerous. This is what I like. Everett is sometimes mean, but he is always there for his friends when they need help. He is funny, and he is a good singer, and he is the leader, and he has good ideas.

He is good looking, too. It's funny when Everett and Delmar think Pete has become a frog. I like the songs that Pete, Everett and Delmar sing. They help one another in a way that is real brother friendship during this time in U.S. history. It's funny when they go to the recording studio and act like they are in a band, but they aren't.

People try to kill them or use them, but they are smart. The movie has a lot of short storys so I don't understand the message, but it is a good movie.

Teacher's note: Both movies well done. I think the relationship between Hogarth and his mom tells us that he needs a dad (which he gets in the end). What's your opinion? :P
Desiree Lenz

Postby Annieyano » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:19 am

The movie, " O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is a comedy set in a countryside town in the Southern U.S. during the 1930's. It is all about three men struggling to get back a great deal of money on a long journey.

My favorite charctor is the leader of these three, Everett, who has never prayed to God before. In this movie, he is the only one who does not believe in God, but in the last scene, he finally prays to God to see his six daughters and experiences a huge miracle. This is one of my favorite scenes.

Also, Everett is so talented in singing. His country songs get more and more popular, and at the wedding, the three escapees became heroes, stars, and idols among the white people even though they have been discriminated against by them.

Teacher's note: This opinion could use a little more detail. The fact the Everett prays is a pivotal moment in the story and a point well made. :)
Annieyano

Postby RAY » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:19 am

Hi mike.

I am Ray.

Delmar, in O Brother Where Art Thou? is so cute. He is a little bit dull but kind and true. For example when Pete is caught, he thinks Pete is changed into a frog, so he takes special care of "Pete." From this situation, you can know Delmar is kind, and loves his friends very much.

Also he fights with Big Dan Teague because of Pete until the man is stronger than him.

I am lucky to have this kind of friends around me.

Teacher's note: I hope my edit didn't change the meaning of this post. Dull but cute is a good way to describe Delmar.
RAY

Postby Liangce Zhou. » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:08 am

Honestly, I can hardly tell who is my favourite actor, I would say they are all wonderful. The three escaped prisoners inadvertently become the Soggy Bottom Boys by their natural voices, and they succeed. That also purified their sins and gives them a new life.

Three characters with three different personalities; they are a perfect combination.
By the way, I like their accent which is really cool. haha

Joe

Teacher's note: I agree that the combination of these three characters forms a perfect synergy. I like the British spelling too. :geek:
Liangce Zhou.

Postby dhak » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:17 am

My favorite charactor in this movie is Delmar. I choose him because I think that he is the funniest guy in the movie and very harmless. The funniest situation with Delmar in the movie is when he wakes up one morning in the forest and sees Pete's clothes on the ground. He doesn't understand where Pete is and why only his clothes are there. Suddenly he sees a frog coming out from under Pete's clothes and he's sure that it's Pete.

Another funny situation in the movie with Delmar is when he meets a guy with his friends. At this time Delmar has the frog inside a box because he's still sure that it's Pete. The guy sees the box and thinks there is money inside. He opens it and sees the frog. He takes it in his hand and throws it against a tree. The frog dies because of this. Delmar is very shocked and sure that Pete is dead.

Daniel Hakakian

Teacher's note: An excellent summary of two related scenes. Are there any other reasons why you might prefer Delmar in addition to the opinion that he is funny? What do you think :?: Also, the two scenes you describe are in the correct chronological order. This is good! :lol:
dhak

Postby danielh » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:21 pm

In additon to being funny, I liked him the most because I think that he is a good guy. I don't remember a scene where he was doing something bad to somebody.

Daniel Hakakian

Teacher's note: Yes, a good guy. Now may be a good time to read other comments on Delmar. Many students liked him best and for a number of reasons. 8-)
danielh

Postby Grandpa Chiken » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 am

Hi~This is Kun Song!!

Just the word, "Brother" is enough to make me want to see this movie. I love some movies that are about male friendship (not gay love). I dont really know what this movie is talking about, but some parts make me feel it's like a book; it feels like I'm reading a book. I can't express this feeling clearly; my mind can feel it intuitively, such as when the old black man says, " I have no name."

My favorite guy in this movies is that bandit called George Nelson because he has a baby face. he knows it, and he hates people reminding him of it. He wants to show that he is not a baby. He wants people to think he is a real man, so he uses guns to rob banks. He doesn't even care about the money. He only wants to show people, "I'm not a baby. I'm not a young boy who can't be without his mom. I'm a real man."

Teacher's note: An astute observation. I think you have described Nelson's psychology pretty accurately. Well done! :mrgreen:
Grandpa Chiken

Postby brhnysa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:09 pm

My favorite character in this movie is Delmar. he is the most silent and inconspicuous. However, he has a special charm that makes me like him. In the sirens sequence, he supposes that Pete is changed into a frog. He cares so much about Pete. This action makes me feel that Delmar is a friendly man.

Then, they meet
brhnysa

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Reports