FALLING DOWN

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: Falling Down

Postby yuto xiaotaozhong » Sun May 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Hello, Mike. This is Yuto.

Falling Down talks about a man, D-Fens, who was just been fired by his company and wants to go home to celebrate his daugther's birthday, but his ex-wife ask him to stay
away from them. Everything is going wrong with him. Heavy traffic,noisy,the shop keeper's bad behavior,and the gansters want to kill him, that makes him crazy against society. The another man in this movie is Prendergast, who has a similar family situation to D-fens,they both have wife and daughter. And nobody respects them.

But the difference between D-fens and Prendergast is how they deal with the same situation.D-fens chose to revenge the society. Whereas Prendergast chooses to protect it. They both have wife and daughter, the diffenent is D-fens's daughther still alives,but his wife hate him and ask him to stay away . And Prendergast's was dead and he wanted to protect his wife ,that why he wanted to retired earlier.

In my opinon ,this movie want to inflect the true situation of the society,it wants us to face to the reality and justice.At that time, the society was very unfair and this movie showed the true situation to us.

Teacher's note: I fixed some of the format issues. Please present proper structure. I like how you focus deep into the details of the similarities and differences! --Mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :P
yuto xiaotaozhong

Postby JinYoung Jang » Sun May 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Hi mike :) I am JinYoung Jang.

The movie, "Falling Down," clearly expresses the mental state of two men.

In this movie there are some common characteristics shared by the two main dramatis personae. In the first scene, they appear on the freeway, and neither of them can move because the traffic is blocked. They have their own families, and they miss their daughter, but they can't see them. They keep making phone calls to their wives, and the last thing they look lethargic.

Also, there are differences. D-Fens has been not working, is divorced from his wife, and his little angel is alive. He is very sensitive to everyone, but his reactions are too extreme. On the other hand, Prendergast, the police detective, lives with his wife, but his little daughter passed away when she was two years old. Now he want to retire, but only because of his wife. Most of the time, he looks to be always smiling and possibly think.

As we can see, the two men live with same experience, but the result is different because of their different acts and choices. Likewise, we have to be discreet in our choices and behaviors. I think we can change our future.

Thank you ! :P

Teacher's note: Thank you for posting. I agree that Falling Down shows us examples of good and bad choices and their consequences. It also shows us how people react when bad things happen to them, also choices. --Mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :cry:
JinYoung Jang

Postby tomomi kosumi » Sun May 08, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi! This is Tomo :D

Falling Down is about two men whose names are D-fens and Prendergast. These two people have similarity and also some difference.

D-Fens and Prendergast have similar family situations. They both have a wife and daughter. D-Fens' daughter is alive, but his wife wants him to stay away. Prendergast's daughter is dead, but he wants to protect his wife. That is the only reason why he wants to retired earlier. Moreover these two people are not respected by other people.

The difference between these two mens is that D-Fens gets angry very easily. He loves making trouble, and also he is violent. Prendergast, on the other hand, is intelligent. He doesn't like violence, and prefers to solve problems with logic. Also D-Fens' wife hates him, but Prendergast's wife still loves him.

I like this movie, but I did not want D-Fens to die :cry:

Have a good night <3

Teacher's note: I didn't want him to die either, but can you think of another way to end the story? I feel that, unfortunately, this is the only way for this story to end. Fortunately, it's only a movie and a good morality tale, IMHO. Thanks for your thoughts. --Mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :?
tomomi kosumi

Postby liuyujun » Sun May 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi Mike. This is Emily.

First of all, I really like Falling Down. I believe it lets audience face to the bad and real problems of our human nature and society. Bill is an intellectual and a missile engineer, but he lost his job because they told him that he doesn
liuyujun

Postby Heejung Shin » Mon May 09, 2011 2:45 am

Hi, Mike! This is Heejung Shin.

This movie,
Heejung Shin

Postby ryan kwag » Mon May 09, 2011 6:48 am

Hi Mike. This is Ryan

When I first saw the DVD front cover of "Falling Down", it looked really boring and not so interesting. For me, it was not a catchy title and the year it was made was a long time ago. However, during the movie I was completely focused by the actors and curious and odd story. In this movie, there are two main actors : D-Fens (Michael Douglas) and Prendergast (Robert Duvall). There are some interesting similarities and differences between these two characters.

D-Fens and Prendergast have a lot of similarities include minor things like both are man, old, married, etc. Also, there are some significant similarities like they both wanted to go home, has wife problem, frustrated in life and most of the surrounding people doesn't respected them. I think they are not actually bad people, because Predergast has a great personality and lives happily with his wife. Moreover, D-Fens is a guy who just wants to go home. In his case the world cannot leave him alone, and this makes him crazy.

They also have big difference in their lives. Prendergast is an LAPD sergeant who works hard, but he is going to retire because of his wife. On the other hand D-Fens Worked for company for 7 years and got fired last month. Both Predergast and D-Fens had married and had a daughter. Now Predergast doesn't have a daughter because she was killed by an illness when she was two years old. However, D-Fens is divorced by his wife because he has strange personality so that he can't be with his daughter. The major difference is their personalities and how they act. Predergast has good personality characteristics; he is easygoing, neat, hard-working, and he can control his emotions and handle his anger. D-Fens, on the other hand, can't control his emotions and can't handle his angle, so he does violent things like breaking things and even killing people. In my opinion, D-Fens has illness or he is really crazy guy.

It was nice movie that I could think again about this annoying world and how I should behave. Also this character D-Fens makes me remember the friend of mine who was really kind, but he did crazy things when he got frustrated or annoying.

Thank you reading Mike :D

Teacher's note: Thanks for a quite thorough analysis. There were a number of subject/verb issues which have been addressed. I like the way this essay connects the moral message of Falling Down to your own observations of life.
--Mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com 8-)
ryan kwag

Postby ahrampark » Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 am

The movie, Falling Down, implies symbolically that the two main characters would fall down. It portrays their lives and how they fall down socially. I think that the main characters have some similarities and differences on both the sociologic and domestic side.

Among similarities, D-Fens is unemployed, and Prendergast is about to retire. They look like unappreciated people in society. D-Fens is faced with many problems on his way home such as traffic jams, charging unreasonably high prices, and fighting with a gang. It seems that he fails whatever he does. Prendergast also faces his own frustrations with socially-accepted ideas. He feels undervalued and unappreciated in his job. In addition, both men want to get home. D-Fens wants to see his daughter on her birthday. Prendergast also wants to return home for his wife
ahrampark

Postby brhnysa » Mon May 09, 2011 9:37 pm

This is Burhan Yasa

Falling Down has two important characters, D-Fens
brhnysa

Postby brhnysa » Mon May 09, 2011 9:40 pm

[quote="brhnysa"]this is burhan yasa

This movie has two important characters that have totally different personality and background. One character
brhnysa

Postby danielh » Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 am

The movie "Falling Down" is about a man, called Bill Foster, who wants to go back home for his daughter
danielh

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Reports