FALLING DOWN

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: Falling Down

Postby shelln » Tue May 24, 2011 1:00 am

Meng

There is some problem in this society that a high educated engineeer lose his job and divorced so that he cant see his wife and daughter and a retiring police was annoying by his wife and superior.Both of them become a hero in this movie. They use different way to achieve the same purpose.

Bill,a man,middle class engineer, who loss his job and didn't tell others, became crazy on his journey and began to loss his personality when he againest this irrational society. He raped by the life. And Prendergast as well, but his situation is a kind of "slow rape". He endure his wife and superior many years, finaly he began to againest them. At the end of the movie, Prendergast perceive that Bill and him are the same kind of people. He sympathize wiz Bill's death.

The different things of them is the way to solve their situation. Bill has used a very straight way to remove all the thing he feels unfair. Prendergast uses a mature way to prove his value.

Both two of them are good person, but at the end of the movie, Bill perceives that he has already became a bad guy, he choice death to end this farce. Prendergast proved his way is correct.

Teacher's note: I appreciate how you are able to dissect important details which differentiate the two men in 'Falling Down'. In the end, these differences point to the tragedy of Bill and the righteousness of Prendergast. Now let's work on that syntax, which means word choice and grammar. Thanks for posting. --Mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :roll:
shelln

FALLING DOWN

Postby STACEY KANG » Wed May 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Falling down, which is same director's movie with Phone booth, is good to compare and contrast movie.
The movie appears two of guys who called D-fens and Prendergast. Since that characters are obviously different, the movie is getting more and more interesting towards to the end of the movie.
First, two of the guys has problem with their families. one of these guys has mental problem, and the other guy has wife who has mental problem. Also, they have pain with their daughters. D-fens always has wanted to see his daughter but Prendergast cannot see his daughter even if he wants because she passed out.
the interesting thing is one of these guys always have to receive calling from home, on the other hand, D-fens always calling to home.
these men weren't able to meet each other, finally they meet at the final scene.
After they contact, they disappeared by death and retire each.
The reason of this movie was interesting is two characters are in pretty similar situation but reactions are definitely different. Absolutely, D-fens seemed bad guy but I can't judge who was right and wrong.
because we can possibly do any bad action in our life. sometimes I afraid of even myself when I realize my bad thinking on my inside. We could change anytime depends on the environment. D-fens also has lost his job and family which are one of the most important things in life.
In conclusion this movie is interesting about definition of two characters' reaction.
I think, With The phantom of the opera, Phone booth and Falling down, these movies' director is genius in the film fields. :D
STACEY KANG

Re: Falling Down

Postby daniela.fiestas » Thu May 26, 2011 4:39 pm

This movie is about two strong characters whose had had a difficult life, full of problems but they are both fighting for the rights on life in their own ways.

I found similaries things in this two characters. For example, Detective Pendergast lost his 2 years old daughter and D-fense lost his family in certain way too. They both had frustated lifes and want their life back. Another reason, is that Detective is not in a good relationship with his wife, and D-fense, might be divorced, but he doesn't has a good relationship with his ex wife, in fact, she doesnt want to see him again.

The difference between D-fense and Detective Pendergast, is that D-fense is impulsive, agressive, shows his feelings no matter how is he hurting to, and like to make "justice" in his own way even though he is breaking the law. Detective Pendergast is more calm down, he keeps his feelings inside, he acts in order of what the law says, and the most important thing is he that he is rational.

In my opinon, both of them are good persons inside, but they are just differents and they react different. Is not bad to be differents, but we have to always think if our actions would affect the people we love.
daniela.fiestas

Previous

Return to Movie Reports