[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

Postby maikuu » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:49 pm

One of my favorite movies is Shawshank Redemption. Even though the movie is more than three hours long, it feels much shorter. I
maikuu
Site Admin

SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

Postby maikuu » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:23 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: Shawshank Redemption - Summer 2011, SMC

Postby lihaoran » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:23 pm

Consecration and Persevation

SHAWSHANK REDEMPION is a most famous movie all over the world. I have watched this movie many times. However, as I have gotten older, I have grown my own viewpoints. I find something deep in the movie.

At first, Andy is a consecration and perseverance guy. I was moved by Andy's empressement and consecration. He even stops drinking at one point, yet he asks the prisonto provide beer to his accompaniers. Andy stays in the hole for two weeks just so the others can relax by listening to music for two minutes. What a kind person would do this? He is so steadfast in one thing for twenty years. This is what moved me a lot.

Red is Andy's best friend. They are smarter than the other guys. They think more about their life. At first red is hopeless. He doesn't trust that he will have freedom. He wants it but doesn't have courage and patience to do something. But at the end of movie, he believes he he can do this because Andy has been his role model.

Above all, Andy not only frees himself, but also ecourages other guy to be free. Andy's story tell me that evertyhing is not so bad. We can deal with our problems. Never lose hope. Everything is going to be all right.

Teacher's note: Thanks for being the first post here. First thing I notice is the empty space and many silly typos, especially spelling and punctuation, which means you need to read your essay before submitting it to publish. What do empressement and consecration mean in this context? I like your observations about how Red changes and Andy never changes. This is an interesting contrast. So who gets redemption, Red or Andy? Thanks. --mike :arrow: http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :?:
lihaoran

Postby Xiaoting Lin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:24 pm

I learned a lot from the story about a successful young banker named Andy Dufresne, who was sent to Shawshank in 1947 for murdering his unfaithfal wife and her lover. The film shows how Andy uses his brilliance and perseverance, with the help of his friend Red,the prison entrepreneur, to finish his redemption.

The first thing I have learned is the meaning of "hope". Andy says, "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies!" Yes,that it is. Everyone needs hope just like we needs sunshine. It can save you from the darkness and give you warmth and power. If you lose hope when you're down, maybe you will become dangerous. Hope helps Andy to pursue his life---the blue sky, the sunshine, the beer, and the freedom. Unfortunately,Brooks Hatlen kills himself because of the hopelessness.

Another thing I have learned is "perseverance". It's like running a marathon. If you give up when you feel tired, you will fail in what you effort before. Andy spent nearly 20 years diging a hole which Red thought would take 600 years. What magic it is! We need perseverance whatever we do. Just keep it! Everytime when you want to give up, thinking about Andy and how he never loses sight of his dream.

From my perspective, I need to pursue something that I really want and then keep it. Shawshank Redemption gives me power every time I see it. What a good movie it is!

Teacher's note: Thank you for a wonderful post. The mistakes are mostly small. Always put space AFTER commas and periods. Notice how I formated the paragraphs. I like the way you point out what you've learned from Shawshank Redemption. This is a great ESL movie and at the same time, inspirational to anyone who cares to take notice. I'm so glad it has a positive influence on you. --mike :arrow: http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :lol:
Xiaoting Lin

Postby wan wu » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Wan Wu
6/28/11
To Be Successful

The Shawshank Redemption is a story about Andy Dufresne, who goes to prison for killing his wife and her lover (although we are not sure if he did it until near the end of the movie). While in prison, he thinks about escape all the time. He works for the leader of the prison as he is prepares for his dream. After 20 years of effort, His dream comes true.

From this movie, I know two things which are good for me. The first is persistence. At first, I did not like this movie; it seemed boring. But by the time I got to the end of the movie, I understood all of things Andy did. Compared with Andy, I am lucky. Andy lives in prison, but he can use his hand to change his life. He never gives up his dream, so he can overcome a lot of trouble. Though there is a lot of trouble in front of him, he never thinks about giving up.

Furthermore, I know that I am the only one can save myself from Andy. When he is in prison, he creates his own solution to his problem, using just his own will power and a rock hammer. He is different from other people in prison. They are just waiting to leave the prison someday, maybe after 30, 40, or even more years, but Andy can make his new life with his own hands and his mind. If he could not do this, he might die in prison. So I understand that if I want to be successful, the first thing I need to remember is keeping my sanity and focus, and the second is save me by myself.

Teacher's note: Nice post. Since Shawshank Redemption is a movie with a surprise ending, I would be careful about giving away too much of the ending. This is called a "spoiler". Notice how I put spaces only after commas and periods. I had to make a number of corrections, so please compare with your original.

I like that you recognize how this movie connects with your own feelings. Sometimes, movies with a lot of talk seem boring for ESL students. Please link to http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com/students.html for more discussion about this. Take care. --mike :arrow: http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com 8-)
Last edited by wan wu on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wan wu

Postby AHRA MOON » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Shawshank Redemption is a very famous movie made in 1995. It was nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor, Cinematography, Film Editing, Best Original Score, Sound, and Best Adapted Screenplay for 67th Oscar Academic awards.

I heard about this movie many times, but this was the first time I had a chance to see it. Today finally I could see this with my class, and I was deeply moved by this perfect movie! I think about Andy Dufresne's climatic scene where he's standing in the rain and raising his hands. This is one of the best scences! Unfortunately, I don't have huge courage like Andy, so I share some sympathy for Red. :mrgreen:

After watching this movie, I learned and was reminded about a meaning of "Hope" from Red. I think people who live, don't give up their hope. They can live their lives filled with happiness. This move delivers some message about hope, and is highly recommened for people who want to give up.

Teacher's note: The first thing I notice is the line spacing. Also "I" is always capitalized in formal writing. Since Shawshank Redemption has a special ending, we don't want to give away the surprise. I'm so happy you finally got a chance to experience it after so long. I also do not have Andy's courage, but perhaps he will share some of it with us. Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow: www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :oops:
AHRA MOON

Postby heyunshuang » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:29 pm

Three Times Memorable of Redemption

Shawshank Redemption is about a banker named Andy, who is convicted of murdering his wife and her lover based on strong legal evidences. He has to go to Shawshank Prison. The first redemption is when he helps Hadley to evade taxes. He is awarded three bottles of beer per person for his buddys. At this time you can see Andy smile while he is in prison.It is important that we can feel his reflection of human value. Everyone needs this worthy when you are in a team.

The second time is when the prisoners at Shawshank are watching Le Nozze de Figaro. Andy uses his the trust in prison. He brings the feeling of freedom to his friends again. The third time is when he wants to set up a prison library. In order to get the first books, he writes letters every week in six years. Finally the library completed.

In my opinion,this is story talks about hope, freedom, and friendship. Everyone needs hope in their life. If we don't have hope,our life will get dark. Remember, nothing can constraint our mind. At the same time, freedom and friendship are also important to us.

Teacher's note: Thanks for posting. I cleaned up some basic grammar, punctuation, formating, and spelling. Please be careful to check these things before submitting your work. I like how there are three examples of redemption taken from the story. Good work. --mike :arrow: www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :twisted:
Last edited by heyunshuang on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heyunshuang

Postby hyemi_yang » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:19 am

There was a man who was a good banker with a bright future. Then he was convicted for killing his wife and her lover. Unfortunately all evidence said "Andy is a murderer". So Andy gets sent to Shawshank, where he finds himself in much trouble. Then he meets Red. They soon became friends. In Shawshank, Andy does a lot of things. Soon the guards and the warden allow him to do their income taxes. This allows Andy to earn privileges. He meets Tommy and teaches him to read. Soon after, Andy goes into his his room where he performs the miracle of Shawshank. Before this, Andy asks Red to find a special spot near Boxton. When Red is released after forty years, he keeps his promise to Andy.

This is my second time watching Shawshank Redemption, but I feel different each time. So, I think this movie teaches me many lesson. The first lesson is if someone believes that he or she can change something and never gives up trying, It'll come true. To be specific, Andy changes Shawshank and makes it a better place. Although it is like any other prison, Andy writes a letter a week to the government asking them to fund a library in prison. Soon, prisoners read books, listen to music, and even study. In this case, a very small change has a bigger than expected result.

Second is that Hope is able to survive, even though he is in a hard situation. When Red was released, he feels like Brooks Hatlen, who committed suicide after his release from Shawshank. But Red keeps his promise to Andy. I think the promise is hope to Red. No matter what happens, there is hope even it is very small and unsure.

Teacher's note: Very well done. I did some editing to bring out the details and clean up the syntax, but the basic points are well articulated. Thank you for a fine essay. --mike :arrow: http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :x
hyemi_yang

Postby saragh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:58 pm

Hope dies in the end.

Shawshank Redemption is a story about Andy Dufresne. He was convicted of murder in 1947. Andy was a bank manager and was accused of killing his wife. He came into the prison of Shawshank. His life in the prison is made worse by rape and battering. In prison he meets Red, who was convicted of murder and is at this time 20 years in Shawshank.

Andy says he is a geologist and asks Red to give him a rock hammer. One day it turns out that Andy knows about money and number very well. Because of this he helps out with the guards' tax returns. He becomes famous with this. After 20 years, Andy and Red talk about Andy's dreams and hopes. Red doesn't believe about hopes and dreams. Andy tolds Red, if he ever comes out, they can meet in Mexico.

Red should go to Buxton to a stone wall. There he will find a tree. There is something for him to lead to Andy in a small place in Mexico names Zihuatanjo. The next morning Andy is gone thanks to the rock hammer. He spent 20 years with it and hid it with a poster. He takes the money which he laundered for Warden Norton, and disappears into Mexico. Andy leaves behind a proof. Red comes after 40 years out of the prison. He remembers his promise to Andy and goes on the way to Buxton, where he finds Andy
saragh

Postby HUANCAI JIAO » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Shawshank Redemption has a name that is frequently heard and can be repeated in detail. I have watched this movie four times. Each time after watching it, I have a different perspective and deeper feeling. Andy Dufresne spends 20 years in prison using a small chisel to dig a hole to redeem himself. It is redemption not only himself, but for all of the people who are in prison.

Andy's successful escape helps all the other prisoners find the hope that they too can regain freedom. After his friend Red is twice rejected for parole, he finally gets out of Shawshank. After seeing this movie I am really moved by Andy's spirit. I remember Andy tells Red, "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies!" Hope is really amazing for everyone. It can give you huge power, can give you confidence and make you believe that you can do anything, can succeed. Hope is like the light in the darkness. If you trust yourself, and have a target which you will never lose sight of, then there is nothing that can make you stop.

Today all people live in the world like it is a big jail. Most people do almost anything to keep their minds occupied so as not to become 'institutionalized'. Hope is like the golden key to open the jail's door. After you turn the key, you just need to put in the hard work and have the courage to open the door to make your dream come true.

Teacher's note: Wow! I love this. You have written an eloquent treatise on hope, a great source of inspiration. Your essay tells us how Andy's character represents hope. Thank you so much. --mike :arrow: www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :roll:
HUANCAI JIAO

Next

Return to Movie Reports