SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: Shawshank Redemption - Summer 2011, SMC

Postby David301 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Tae hyoung Kim
06/29/2011
Eager to do something

Shawshank Redemption is seen from Red's viewpoint. He is a man who is sentenced to prison for his whole life. "Andy" spends 20 years in a prison after being falsely convicted, but Red doesn't believe this until well into the story. Everybody in Shawshank has forgotten the word "Hope" long time ago because everyone believe that having hope is too idiotic.

However , Andy slowly gets ready to escape with a mind which has free volition and hope. While he bides his time, he does impossible things such as drinking beer on the rooftop or play opera music across the prison public address system. He desires to be free, and finally he finds freedom. And when Red is finally paroled after forty years, he finds hope in his mind . This gives him a purpose to go outside. So he doesn't kill himself like Brooks Hatlen. After all, Red can finally find Andy in Mexico.

The last part of the movie makes me realize how Andy is able to get revenge against the unclean prison warden and triumph over an unfair conviction which makes an innocent banker spend twenty years prisoner. Although Andy could not prove his innocence officially, I think that he finds his own kind of success at getting free. The recollection scene is "Get busy living or get busy dying" and Brooks was here so was Red.

Teacher's note: I'd like you to take a careful look at your original draft and compare it to my edits. You have written some insightful thoughts, and you seem to understand the underlying meaning of Shawshank Redemption. This is a great success for any ESL/EFL student. Now let's get busy learning how to express these ideas in English. --mike :arrow: http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :o
David301

Postby David301 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 pm

Kim Tae Hyoun
06/29/2011
Eager to do Something

Shawshank Redemption is seen from Red's viewpoint. He is a man who is sentenced to prison for his whole life. "Andy" spends 20 years in a prison after being falsely convicted, but Red doesn't believe this until well into the story. Everybody in Shawshank has forgotten the word "Hope" long time ago because everyone believe that having hope is too idiotic.

However , Andy slowly gets ready to escape with a mind which has free volition and hope. While he bides his time, he does impossible things such as drinking beer on the rooftop or play opera music across the prison public address system. He desires to be free, and finally he finds freedom. And when Red is finally paroled after forty years, he finds hope in his mind . This gives him a purpose to go outside. So he doesn't kill himself like Brooks Hatlen. After all, Red can finally find Andy in Mexico.

The last part of the movie makes me realize how Andy is able to get revenge against the unclean prison warden and triumph over an unfair conviction which makes an innocent banker spend twenty years prisoner. Although Andy could not prove his innocence officially, I think that he finds his own kind of success at getting free. The recollection scene is "Get busy living or get busy dying" and Brooks was here so was Red.

Teacher's note: I'd like you to take a careful look at your original draft and compare it to my edits. You have written some insightful thoughts, and you seem to understand the underlying meaning of Shawshank Redemption. This is a great success for any ESL/EFL student. Now let's get busy learning how to express these ideas in English. --mike :arrow: http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :o
David301

Postby lemon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:05 pm

The Shawshank Redemption is a movie about a man whose name is Andy Dufresne. He goes to the prison, because he killed his wife and her lover, or did he?. Then, Andy confirms that he is innocent, and he tries to get freedom. Finally, he breaks out of the prison by himself. This is the most interesting movie I have ever seen. It made me feel that if I want to be successful, the best way is to believe in myself.

We often get into trouble in our lives. If we often complain about the thing, we will never become a winner . We need to face difficulty and overcome it. Maybe sometimes you can just try your best to do something, but you can't control the result of that thing. It is the best way to get to the victory. Things always have two hands, one is good for you; obviously, the other hand is bad. So, you have to keep an ordinary mentality for everything that arrests you.

Teacher's note: The first thing was the size of the font. Wow, why so big? I would stick with a normal size like this. In the second paragraph, the discourse needs to relate back to the movie. It doesn't seem to connect at all except by implication. But I do get your ideas, and I like what we're saying. The message is the magic. Thanks 4 posting --mike :arrow: www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com ;)
lemon

Postby bluecomets » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:19 pm

June 30 2011
Na Ri Kim

I Find My Freedom

When I first saw the movie
bluecomets

Postby joonghyeeCho » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:10 am

Joonghyee Cho
6/30/11

Longing for Freedom

Andy Dufresne is a young and successful banker. He is sent to prison for the false conviction of murdering his wife and her lover. The film focuses on Andy and his prison business friend Red, the most special character of the movie. After the murder of his wife, successful banker Andy Dufresne is sent to Shawshank Prison, where the usual prison violence occurs. During his time there, his great hope gets the respect of the other inmates, especially old prisoner "Red". Eventually Andy escapes from Shawshank. And in the end of the movie, he and Red meet again in Zihuatanejo.

As someone who loves movies, this is one of my favorite films. It always occupies near the top ranks of the movie lists because it has many lessons and deep emotion within. I have seen this movie four times. But each time, I always feel Andy is a person who has great wisdom and boldness.

In the movie, there are two things which the story wants to express: freedom and hope. Especially, ambition of freedom is well-inscribed into the hero's character. However this film doesn't show just a good side. At first Andy isn't released from prison, but escapes from prison. Also the atmosphere of the movie is almost depressing. Nevertheless I am very impressed when Andy and Red met at Zihuatanejo. So I can feel this movie has fascination of the unknown.

Teacher's note: Thank you for posting. This essay is well formated and organized. As I read through the posts here, listed in chronological (time) order, I want to fine fresh information in each successive post. What do you think about this one? --mike :arrow: http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :roll:
Last edited by joonghyeeCho on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
joonghyeeCho

Postby Unforgiven » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:21 pm

Su Yun Kim

Man, Interrupted.

Shawshank Redemption shows the horror of prison life in a realistic way. Long years of prison life doesn't deprive prisoners of their passion, youth and free will. They are deprived of their hope, and they can't get it back easily. It sounds really terrible.

What is even more amazing is that they already have their keys, but they don't realize that because they are accustomed to living in prison and they accept reality as it is. That mean they relinquish their rights and hope! This makes no sense because hope is an inviolable, inalienable, uniquely individual thing of their own.

We could see what life is without hope through Red's attitude. Also, we can see, if someone has hope they can change and know about finding peace. Red spends his days in a state of torpor and he doesn't have doubts about his given life. He is institutionalized. But he realized the one thing that he was missing possibly more than anything elseand it became exit of his new life.

We must know this. If they set their mind to it and have a hope, nothing is impossible. Nobody can say no, you are not.

Teacher's note: Once we got the formating correct, the first thing I see is a GREAT topic sentence. But in the second sentence, who is "they?" I like your fresh insight here. Yes, hope is easy to lose and difficult to regain. This is Red's lesson. Thanks for posting. --mike
:arrow: www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com ;)
Unforgiven

Postby baybashley » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:39 pm

July 1 2011
So young (Ashley) You

Prison of the mind

Shawshank Redemption
baybashley

Postby nawon kim » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:45 am

Na won kim
7/2/2011

Can you find Freedom in Prison?

Shawshank pedemption
nawon kim

Postby Great Lee » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:41 pm

Shawshank Redemption is the story about a man who wants to get freedom in the prison. Andy is innocent banker, but he is arrested on a
charge of murder and sent jail. he was blamed for the murder of his wife and her lover.

In the prison, Andy meets Red, and they become friend. He learns many things about prison from Red. Red can get things in the prison and helps many prisoner, but he does not have hope. He just lives a prison life as a person who has stayed prison a long time. Lately he thinks about hope because of Andy. It becomes like pay back.

One day, the warden of a prison becomes aware of Andy's ability with accounting practices and he makes Andy work for him. It looks good for Andy, but it is not. Andy gets chance to be cleared of the false charge, but Warden Norton stops that. Warden needs him only to make money. After that Andy finds freedom and has his revenge on the warden.

I feel that we need to have hope and positive mind in every situations in this movie. Even in a bad situation, we can solve the problem.

Teacher's note: This is a pretty good summary. Thanks for posting. I didn't want to give away the end, so I changed a few words. Good writing. --mike :arrow: www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :mrgreen:
Great Lee

Postby Lucas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:46 am

I have some feelings about Shawshank Redemption. In my essay, I change the subject between Andy and me.

In my opinion, I have a type of feeling that I'm the new blood. Everyone or everything wants to assimilate me. They try to make me be the same as the others even I am going to resist. I think there is something the same as mine. Although it's impossible to communicate with others, I still persist and keep trying.

I sing and always keep going toward the best way. But I have to go back to the reality of society and life. When everyone stops doing everything to listening to the voice and calling from the best guide who enjoys the tranquility before the resistance is coming, I totally feel that I am in my whole world.

At the same time, there are some voices inside my eyes: he's crazy or something? People start to distrust this feeling. And I laugh at it just for the script because there is no script!!! So, many people are surprised about his music and action, but he doesn't care about these. All of this is just to follow his own idea.

I just wanna say there is no script in life. We make a lie or dream like prefection for each person. It's like a circle. We keep putting the corporeal things into their unused time. I just wanna say, let's go back to nature. I just take a viewing by my soul for this space.

Teacher's Notes: My first impression here is that this is going to be creative and probably interesting. Also, there needs to be some space between sentences. Not like this.Not like this. Like this. Like this. Let's read on . . . It is very interesting, an original insight into Shawshank Redemption, so much so that it reads more like poetry.

I would caution this writer that in an academic format, the teacher might want the writing to be more direct and to the point. Otherwise, I like this a lot. Thanks for posting! --mike :arrow: http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :twisted:
Lucas

Previous

Return to Movie Reports