http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: AVATAR

Postby tomomi kosumi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:11 pm

This was my first time to watch Avatar. To be honest I didnt like it, because I dont like war...I think the Na'vi' people don't like human. That's why they tried to kill each other.

The message from Avatar is we don't have to go to another country or planet and try to change the way they live, or change their culture. In the movie they destroyed their world like what we do.

Thank you for reading:)
Love Tomo

Teacher's note: Thanks for watching the movie. I also strongly don't like war, but I liked the movie because it shows how useless and destructive war is. Sometimes, we need to be reminded of this message, and I think this is one reason why James Cameron chose to depict the conflict in Avatar. Can you think of any other reasons? Thanks for posting. --mike :? www.moviesgrowenglish.com ;)
tomomi kosumi

Postby Hsing-Ying,Lee » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Hello, Mike. This is my opinion. ;)

James Cameron is not only one of the greatest, most meaningful, and most history-making directors of our time, but he also has a message! He shows us the beauty of nature, the things, and the magic we don't see since we take them for granted, even though they actually surround us, and to which we have to come back.

The movie
Hsing-Ying,Lee

Postby EffyChoi » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:16 pm

This is my third time to see this movie. The first time, I focused on the beautiful visual scenery, fantastic creatures and 3-D screen, but this time I thought about a lot of things. I think that a good movie has messages which its director wants to say to the audience.

During the running time, I thought about messages that the director wants to say to me. I couldn
Last edited by EffyChoi on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EffyChoi

Postby ryan kwag » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:49 pm

Hi Mike, I
ryan kwag

Postby klaudiaguca » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:56 pm

The Science-Fiction movie 'Avatar' contains an important and outstanding message about the human race and it's ways of taking over control and power over new territories, especially if these turn out to be profitable and rich of resources.
However 'Pandora', the planet they are trying to get the control of, is already inhabited by the race called 'Na'vi' who is connected to the planet and it's nature. They live in peace until the human people start a terrible, bloody war to get their rich land. Despite the pain and disorder they are causing, the humans stick to their point and do not care about the consequences this war brings.
Starting wars over land or profitable resources still happens nowadays and it is the most common way of powerful country leaders to force other cultures/ countries to give them what they want.
klaudiaguca

Postby xiaotao_zhong » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi,mick, this is yuto.
I think a lot after watched <avatar>.I found that this movie was not talking about 'Pandora',
actually it was talking about our world.<Avatar> warns us about our world's environment become
worse and worse.We need to face the crisis and do something to protect our world.
Our world is destroyed by some people who just care about their profit from the economy.
If we keep developing our enconomy by destroying the environment,sooner and later,it will
happan like what the movie showed us,our world will be destroyed by ourselves.
In the movie ,we found that it is not only high technology that can save our world.To campare
to the Navi people,they can communicate with trees and animals which we can not do.
Nowadays,we do everything for getting higher economy.For exsample, Cuting down the tree and killing the animal,
as a result,the pollution become worse and worse,lots of animal are dying.We borrow the resource
from the environment which is not last forever,we need to pay for it one day.
If one day we die and the world is destryed ,this result is what we ask for.
So we need to protect our world.What we did,we can not change,but we can make up for it.
xiaotao_zhong

Postby JinYoung Jang » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi mike this is jinyoung Jang :)

In this movie "AVATAR" people live on the planet which is named Pandora. They want to dig Unobtainum because this mineral can substitute the energy exhaustion problem, and it can bring money to them. So they mobilize their army to get the enormous ore.

We can see in this movie they just destroy the forest to get what they want. But they never care about the forest which is emitting gorgeous fluorescent lights or the creatures which are called Na'vi'.

Also in the real world, people forget about nature. They just perform unconditional development for their profit and convenience. And time after time, people gradually notice the destroyed environment.

But everyone will know it's too late to regret and be sorry for Earth.

After seeing this movie, I can appreciate the Earth when I feel the Spring has come, and when I see beautiful flowers and fresh green trees. Because Earth gives us many kinds of presents ( I mean flowers or something from nature which makes me feel it's Spring kkk) :P

So I think we should raise and cherish our Earth, when a beautiful and valuable nature exists for us. :)

Thank you very much, Mike ! :D :) ;) :lol:
It was such a nice and fascinating film to me.

Teacher's note: Thanks much for posting. Your words describe an emotional reaction to Avatar which I'm sure James Cameron (director) would appreciate hearing. Please be careful with grammar details. Did you read this post before submitting? I'm glad you enjoyed this film. --mike :arrow: http://www.moviesgrowenglish.com :D
JinYoung Jang

Postby Kamil » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:50 pm

Avatar is the Disney movie that James Cameron would have liked to make.

Let's face it, if you have already seen the movie Pocahontas, you already know the story of Avatar. Very bad and greedy rich american people who wants to steal everything from innocent indigenous people. A movie with a very "subversive" message, "war is very bad". And of course the Hero (a little stupid) but with a good heart. Probably to make easy the identification for the audience through him. (Teacher's note: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

BUT, if you can put your brain on an "off mode", you can have a really good time. The picture is very beautiful, the special effects astonishing and all the scenes works. James Cameron knows his job. Maybe a little too much but still, the movie is convincing. I even felt bad for the Navi people. And it has been three days that I am very pernickety about putting all my trashes in my trash can.

Without kidding, Avatar is really entertaining, and James Cameron is a really good director. If you want to have a good time, go see it.
Kamil

Postby Amy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:21 am

hi, this is amy from IEP2.

Sometimes we could see some films or songs which we can say it made big hit have quiet simple messages that we've learn at elementary school.
I think it's because the messages not only have simply important messages but also are easy to forget.
when I first saw this famous, succeed film 'Avatar' , I was pretty impressed abot 3D effects that made me feel like I'm in mysterious, real places in the film.
However, As time goes by I could more concentrate on the story. The movie shows us how human's intemperate greed can ruin the whole indigenous nature-earth. I think one of impressive, important line in this movie is "I see you". It's not only has meaning of 'seeing' you but also has include of 'connect to each other' .
In other words, The beautiful Na-Vi world was able to maintain by respects and connection between blue people and nature.
Therefore, The important message I could learn from this movie is " we should trying to keep balance between development and indigenous nature and we shouldn't forget about importance of Nature and Communication".
Amy

Postby Heejung Shin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:44 am

Hi, Mike :D
This is heejung!

The movie
Heejung Shin

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Reports