[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - IRON GIANT

IRON GIANT

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

IRON GIANT

Postby maikuu » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 am

maikuu
Site Admin

The Iron Giant

Postby Tomomi Kosumi » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 pm

I think this movie is great!!! I really recommend it!!!
At first, I could not understand what this movie is about. I thought this movie must be boring.But after the robot comes up, I was very interested in this movie.

This movie is about LOVE. It is not a kind of boyfriend and girlfriend love but,friendship love. You might cry at the end!
Tomomi Kosumi

Re: The Iron Giant

Postby maikuu » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:54 am

Tomomi--

You were the first person to post for Iron Giant. Thank you for your insightful comment. You express your ideas very clearly, and your grammar/vocabulary is good (about 60 words).

Thanks again.

--Mike :D
maikuu
Site Admin

Postby Yongsung Hong » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Hi Mike this is Alex who is your IEP2 class student.

I watched an animation which is Iron Giant and this is the summary.

Something was falling down to the earth. That was a robot (Iron Giant). A young boy (Hogarth Hughes) saved the Iron Giant. After that, Iron Giant and Hogarth became friends. He taught the Iron Giant about language, culture, and what kind of action is good or bad. One day Iron Giant and Hogarth got into an accident, and the Iron Giant was hit by a train. He destroyed several pieces, but he fixed himself to normal by himself!!

That accident was reported to the government, so an NSA agent (Kent Mansley) came there and then found the Iron Giant. He really wanted to kill the Iron Giant for his career. He called a General (Rogard) and gave him some wrong information about the Iron Giant to try to kill him. So Rogard ordered to attack Iron Giant. But the Iron Giant did not want to kill the people. He and Hogarth tried to avoid attacking the soldiers even though he received some damage.

Eventually, the Iron Giant got damaged and was shot down by missiles. Also, Hogarth lost consciousness. Then Iron Giant thought Hogarth was dead, so he got really upset and started to kill people. Rogard tried to use a nuclear bomb. It was ready to fire. At that time Hogarth woke up, and then went to the Giant for calm him down.

Finally, Hogarth could finish working successfully, so Rogard ordered his men to stop firing at the Iron Giant. However, Kent made a mess of everything. The nuclear missile was launched. The Iron Giant decided to sacrifice himself by exploding with the nuclear bomb aimed at the town. Finally he saved a lot of people and they really appreciated his sacrifice.

One day, Hogarth got a mail from the Rogard. It was a piece of Iron Giant. The piece was still working. That meant the Iron Giant was restoring itself and would come back to the people in one piece.

In my opinion, anyone can be a hero if he or she does something for other people. If most people become heroes, our world will be much better to live and people
Yongsung Hong

Postby maikuu » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Alex--

Yours is a very thorough summary. Yes, Kent worked for the National Security Agency. Today this would be called Homeland Security. There is a lot of good vocabulary in your summary.

Thanks for a job well done.

--Mike :arrow: www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :P
maikuu
Site Admin

Postby Vanessa Lee » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:33 pm

The Iron Giant story touched me all deeply. It tells about a friendship between Hogarth and the Iron Giant. They know each other by accident. After that, they become good friends. They foster their friendship by facing mutual dangers together.

The main ideal of this story is "You are who you choose to be" and "love of friendship". Every one can choose what thing they want to do or not do. I like one sentence that Hogarth says,
Vanessa Lee

Postby Shihuang Wu » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi Mike.

This is Huang. The Iron Giant is a very good movie! I already recommended it to my friends and my two sisters! If you just know the name of this movie, you may be not interested in it! But when you try to watch this movie, you will know this is a good movie! I really like 'You stay?I go?No following
Shihuang Wu

Postby YUCHEN FAN » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi Mike.

This is Yuchen.

The movie Iron Giant is very good. I recommend it because it told me how to be a hero. It also told me how to make more friends rather than enemies. Hogarth is the best example for learning. Everybody is the same when he or she comes into this world. When he or she has some problems or needs help, and you think he or she is a good person, you help him or her. Afterwards, you can be friends.

Maybe your new friend will help you in the future. But you don't help from him or her. You think he or she is a bad person, and sometimes you hurt him or her. You may become enemies in the future.

If everyone can be a hero like Hogarth of this story, I think our world would be better and more lovely.
YUCHEN FAN

Postby JONGHO BAEK » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:28 pm

At first, I thought this movie was just for kids' fun and would be boring. But, surprisingly, this movie was very impressive.

In summary, this movie tells the story about a child whose name is Hogarth and an Iron Giant. They first meet in the forest and become friends.

Hogarth teaches the giant to act as a good member of human society. Meanwhile, Kent Mansley, who is a government agent, seeks the giant to eliminate it. Eventually, Kent commands the army to launch a nuclear bomb. In that urgent situation, the Giant devotes himself to save the townspeople.

In the movie, the Iron Giant says, "I am not a gun". And he wanted to be Superman, not Atomo. Over many centuries, people have used machines to invade. It means people use them just as killing tools. Although The The Iron Giant is an animation for kids, I think it also urges adults to reconsider their desires and their attitude toward machines.

I'd like to rate this movie 10 out of 10. :)
JONGHO BAEK

Postby STACEY KANG » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Although,"The Iron Giant" is animation, it is an injunctive movie for adults as well. That story is like "The Little Prince". The background of the movie was the 1950's, and at the beginning, a boy was left home without his mother. She told him not to watch TV too much or eat sweets too much. But the little intelligent boy did all that anyway.

Moreover, he walked outside and he went somewhere far away from home. At that time, he ran into something amazing to see. It was a huge-steel robot. It was moving by itself and eating some iron. At first, the boy tried to avoid the monster, but the robot did not seem to want to injure him.

So, they got to know each other better and better. The story became exciting near the end, but I felt little sad. The iron giant, named Dean, was a great friend of the boy. It protected him and save the world from the guns. But the selfish army who likes war and guns, attacked him, awfully.

Finally, Dean left the earth and he sacrificed himself for the human beings. And the movie was the end.

Personally, I like the scene which is when the boy taught English to the Iron Giant. The boy said, " me, go! you, stay!!" and then, the end of the scene Dean said, "I, go. you, stay." When he left to save the human's world. So, I could not watch it without crying.

Sometimes, I feel that I'm only thinking about my profit too much, and people have been causing bad affect on society or nature in history.

Some loves war; some love destruction. But we have to do the right thing. This movie was a good thing for remind me of it. I strongly recommend The Iron Giant.

IEP2 Stacey Kang.
STACEY KANG

Next

Return to Movie Reports