IRON GIANT

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: The Iron Giant

Postby JinYoung Jang » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:21 am

IEP student < jinyoung jang >

I think The Iron Giant movie is so cute :)

In this movie we can see friendship and how people are affected by someone's friends. Right? For example, the robot and the little boy actually learn a lot from each other by becoming best friends.

When the movie finished, I missed my best friend in my country and recollected for a few minutes before days. It's such a good movie not only for children, but also for adult because if someone sees this movie, maybe they will feel affection about their friends and how they love their friends. Also we can think about our childhood after we see Iron Giant!

So............ I'm recommend this movie !
JinYoung Jang

Postby Effy Choi » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:13 am

The movie starts when a fisherman finds a big iron giant man, but other people don't believe the fisherman's story. The next day, Hogarth plays at his mother's coffee shop with his squirrel. At this time, people argue about what the fisherman is saying. Hogarth becomes curious about the story of the iron giant.

That evening when he explores town's forest, he finds the iron giant. Its height is about 20 meters. As he eats some metal, he receives an electric shock, but Hogars rescues him. Soon Hogarth and the iron giant become friends. Hogarth tries to protect his new friend from other people
Effy Choi

Postby Tak Ok-Jeong (Amy) » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:48 am

One day, a boy named Hogart meets an iron giant which has accidently arrived on Earth from space. When Hogarth first sees the iron giant, he is frightened, but he saves the giant's life by switching off the electric wire when the iron giant gets tangled up in the line.

When Hogarth comes back to town, he is so excited that he met the iron giant. However no one believes his story, not even his mother. Even so, Hogarth enters the forest to find the iron giant again. They soon become good friends. However, the iron giant is massive so Hogarth needs another friend who can help them. So Hogarts asks Dean at the scrap yard for help, and they also become friends.

They have a good time while the iron giant hides at Dean's scrap yard. Hogart teaches the iron giant that a 'Gun' is a bad thing which can kill someone; 'Superman' is a good hero who saves people so u can be Superman. The iron giant gets shocked about dying and reacts strongly when he sees the rifles that kills a deer.

Meanwhile, some goverment detective guy named Manseley appears in town to discover the truth about the iron-giant gossip. Manseley is doubtful about what Hogarth is saying, and how he is acting, so he follows Hogarth around. Sooner or later, Manseley finds the iron giant and brings the goverment army to attack him.

The iron giant becames a scary weapon when he thinks the army has killed Hogarth, but the truth is that he is alive. At the end of the movie, the iron giant saves the people from a nuclear missile by sacrificing himself.

I was touched and impressed at how the filmmaker focuses on a message about friendship with a robot. In addition, as a student who is interested film scoring, it is interesting how the music is used along with the animation. In this movie, they put proper orchestration, using classical instruments so that the audience can more easily focus on the movie.
The Iron Giant is funny, excellent, and a good lesson.

Teacher's note: Great summary. I suggest to pay careful attention to syntax when writing. Always edit your work before publishing it. Just like your orchestrated masterpiece! :P
Tak Ok-Jeong (Amy)

Postby Fiestas.Daniela » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:35 pm

THE IRON GIANT
. The movie starts when Hogart was at her mom
Fiestas.Daniela

Postby Shoko » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:51 pm

A boy, named Hogarth, finds that the iron giant robot is getting an electric shock in the forest. He saves the robot from the accident. It starts their friendship though it comes with some troubles.
First of all, they should figure out where the giant robot settles down and how to get a huge amount of iron the giant robot eats. Hogarth solves these problems well with his wits. He also teaches the robot how cool a hero "SUPER MAN" is. Learning from Hogarth, the robot starts to realize right and wrong.
One day, the government, Kent, comes to Hogarth's house. He is trying to capture the robot. After Hogarth knows the government's stratagem, he defends the robot against the government. Horgarth teaches the robot how to live in there, on the other hand the robot gives him incredible experiences which mankind absolutely can not do. The longer they are with, the closer their friendship becomes.
In this movie, the friendship between Hogarth and the robot shows how fascinating friedship is, instead of how greedy adult society is.(Though I have a good emotional with the government, Kent. He focuses on getting promoted but it is also one part of minds most of office workers have. Anyway his behavior makes this movie more interesing.) This movie recalls me what I have already forgotten for a long time. I seldom watch movies especially animated film, but I enjoy this movie.
Shoko

Postby Heejung Shin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi! I
Heejung Shin

Postby ingborb@gmail.com » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Iron Giant is an animation released in 1999 and directed by Brad Bird (Ratatouille, The Incredibles, UP).
Hogarth Hughes is a normal only child from a single mother that is always trying to get a mascot to play with, but his Mom never allowed. In a normal day that Annie Hughes needs to work late at night, Hogarth has the most incredible experience in his life. After listening to some unusual sounds, Hogarth runs outside his home because he thinks he needs to fight invaders from Mars, but to his surprise, he finds a giant robot eating iron at an electrical station in the middle of the forest.
Later many local people denounce an enormous beast taking over the peace in the small city, the government decides to send an agent, Kent, to collect evidence about the beast. Kent rents a room at Hogarth's house, later he realizes that the little boy is the principal key to resolve the case.
Hogarth tries to save his new friend from the government who is trying to annihilate the threat as fast as they can. At the same time he needs to save it from its bad behavior, introducing the Superman idea.

Dutra, Ingrid ;)
ingborb@gmail.com

You stay, I go, No following.

Postby Meng » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:07 pm

The movie
Meng

Postby Jessie Park » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 pm

A curious young boy named Hogarth ignored what his mom was saying at night and went outside. He found a giant robot, and they became friends although the robot was not human.

Meanwhile, one of the U.S. Government agents, Kent Mansley tried to attack and destroy the robot. Hogarth and the robot tried to protect each other, but they were hurt because of the attack. The U.S Government excluding Kent Mansley quit attacking at that sight.

Afterwards, the robot left the earth to save the humans. It met a nuclear bomb on its shoulder and destroyed it.

I was impressed by Hogarth's and the Giant's pure friendship, and I viewed the cold war with a crictical eye.
Jessie Park

Postby burhan yasa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:58 pm

The summary of Iron Giant is about robot and a boy named Hogarth. He met the iron giant. The iron giant came from out of the sky to the Earth by accident.
First, Hogarth met the iron giant, but this meeting was not normal because when he saw the iron giant, it was at the point of death.

However, Hogarth saved the giant's life by switching off the electric wire. After that, he came back to home. He was scared. Although he was afraid of the iron giant, he went into the forest to find it, but the giant found him first, and they became friends. At the same time, the iron giant ate metal things such as cars, antenna, something like that. Therefore, Hogarth and the iron giant needed to find metal things for food.

Meanwhile, a government detective named Mansley, appeared in town to discover the truth about the gossip about the iron giant. Soon Mansley found the iron giant, and he notified the government army. After that, the government army started to attack the iron giant.

The iron giant became a scary weapon when he though the army killed Hogarth, but it was not true. He was not dead. The Iron Giant saved the townspeople from a nuclear missile by sacrificing himself. After that, the movie ended.

I think everybody should watch this movie because it is not only for children. That is great! Thank u.
burhan yasa

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Reports