IRON GIANT

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: The Iron Giant

Postby ray » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:36 am

" the iron giant" is the cartoon about a little boy and a large robot. one day the tittle boy want to the forest. suddenly he save a large robot. the large robot was going to eat the electronic station. and then the robot got the electronic shock by the station. the little boy want to help the robot and he switched off the power until he was scared.
after this day, their became the friends. little boy always teaches robot some words. one days the robot felt , so Hogarth Hughes took he to have some metal. then they met dean. they became the friends.
few days ago, when Hogarth played the gun with robot. then the robot attacked him by the system. robot felt sorry and ran away. the government knew this, so they wanted to catch it. finally they knew robot it a good guy. but they still shoot the missile. the robot save the town but he was exploded.
i think it is a very touching story.there are lots of love in the story, the alien robot makes the friendship with human. the alien robot almost save the town, it is selfless. the movie is good for child. it can make the children to be a good, kind, selfless people. in the real world, there are more sinister,dangerous. it is the own way to keep the innocence.
ray

Postby Nicolas » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:58 am

The movie's cadre is a meeting between a child and a robot. It deals with the difficulty to be accepted when you are atypical for each other (automatic U.S. army's offensive). Secondly, The Iron giant is about the permanent personal choices which can control our acts. In this movie: be destructive or not.

The end shows this consciousness' power when the robot becomes a martyr. Iron Giant shows two last things behind this first idea: replying with the attackers' tools, even if more evolved, is vain, like the suffering of death, because life starts again (re-assembly of the robot).
Nicolas

Postby maikuu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Thank you ALL for posting on MoviesGrowEnglish. I was surprised and pleased to see so many different points of view and so much insight about a seemingly simple story. I agree with the overwhelming response that Iron Giant is a great movie! Also, I made a few grammatical corrections to your posts. I did not intend to change your ideas (Please let me know if I accidently did.).

At first I was going to respond to each post, but I realized that my comments would dilute the impact of what you all have to say. So instead, I will respond here at the close.

One thing I could notice was the collective level of syntax (grammar/vocabulary) in your writing. This will help me focus on your needs in the coming weeks. I notice things like use of passive voice, form and use of verbs, clause-structure formation, reduced forms, pronouns, connectors. I have a pretty good sense after reading your posts.

I also notice how you organize your ideas, paragraph structure. It is really important in academic writing to develop your thesis according to what is expected. Is there a topic sentence, thesis statement? Where is it? Are your ideas developed logically? Do you get to the point, don't waste words? Good!

I like the way you appreciate the essence of the Iron Giant's character, that he has self awareness, that he is "not a gun." Many of you also identified the historical context and its significance. Brilliant! Most of you connected with the themes of friendship, choice, heroism, and self sacrifice.

Many of you described how this story relates to your own life or to the world in general, and how the story suggests making your life and the world a better place. You also pointed out how this is not just a children's story but a story with a message for adults too. Many of you seemed affected by the character of Kent Mansley, the villain who represented the government.

Overall, this is a super impressive body of thought put forth by some very bright young minds. Please keep up the impressive work during the coming weeks. Thanks to all of you!

--Mike
maikuu
Site Admin

Iron Giant

Postby dhak » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:45 pm

The Iron Giant movie is about a young child named Hogarth that at one night when he
dhak

Re: Iron Giant

Postby maikuu » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:35 am

Daniel--

This is a pretty good summary, clear and concise.

Well done.

--Mike :D
maikuu
Site Admin

Postby Grandpa Chiken » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:17 am

This is Kun Song..~

The Iron Giant is about a boy's dream. Most boys have the same dream when they are little; they want a super hero be their real friend, someone who can only be friends with themselves. This friend can fight for them, make them famous, and make all of the other kids want to their friends.

Teacher's note: This is an excellent point, one which has not been mentioned up to now. :)
Grandpa Chiken

Postby Charlykolo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Iron Man

Iron Giant tells about a Young Kid ''HOGARTH'' and an IRON MAN, a big robot. One night Hogarth is watching a movie when suddenly, he hears a big noise which comes from outside. Hogarth goes outside to watch what is happening. The kid starts to walk into the forest behind his house for a long time when he sees a tall robot.

His name is Iron man. He eats only iron and doesn't speak. At first, the kid is afraid of him but the robot starts to have a friendly relationship. It's so dangerous for Iron to move, so Hogarth decides that the robot should stay in an area of one friend. One day everybody sees Iron Man because He comes into the city so the military wants kill him and shoots him with a big missile. To save everybody the Iron Giant hangs the bomb and goes up to space for the explosion.

Teacher's note: Thanks for posting. Short and concise. I like it! --Mike :arrow: www.moviesgrowenglish.com :lol:
Charlykolo

Postby chuanqiandai » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:55 pm

A boy called Hogarth is very interested in strange things. One day, something strange happens in the town where Hogarth lives. A lot of cars, billboards and many things that are made of metal are gone. Later, Hogarth finds out that an iron giant did that. He also learns that the iron giant is very good.

Hogarth goes to the forest to meet the iron giant and tells it something about the world every day. A few days later, he and the giant become good friends. He takes the iron giant to Dean's factory and lets it stay there.

Mansley, who works for the goverment wants to destroy the iron giant. So he asks the army to help him achieve his goal. He gives a wrong signal so that the army shoots a bomb and kills the iron giant. At the end of the story, the iron giant sacrifices himself to save the town.

Victor

Teacher's note: Good summary. I highly recommend proof read before publishing. This will avoid embarrassment. :roll:
chuanqiandai

Postby Kamil » Sun May 15, 2011 10:30 pm

Adapted from a children book, Iron Giant is a movie directed by Brad Bird. This a story about an Iron Giant who came to Earth for unknown reasons.
This movie speaks about, in a funny and satirist way, about the Cold War, the fear about communism, the nuclear threat and the spacial conquest. Brad Bird uses a children form to speak to the adults and leads us to ask questions.
Kamil

IRON GIANT

Postby maikuu » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Summer 2011 UCLA, ALC
Please write 75-100 words about The Iron Giant.

What is it about? Do you like it? Why?
25 points.

Thanks --mike :arrow: http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :) :o :roll: :mrgreen: :?: :lol: :shock: :roll: :|
maikuu
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Reports