[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - TROPIC THUNDER

TROPIC THUNDER

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

TROPIC THUNDER

Postby maikuu » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:54 am

maikuu
Site Admin

Re: TROPIC THUNDER

Postby joe123 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Tropic Thunder is about a group of actors making a movie about the Vietnam war, but they really encounter real guerrillas. Over all, I have three of surprises in this movie.

Firstly, after making "Iron Man", Robert Downey Jr. has really changed his appearance. His black styling is an important reason to attractive me; it is faultless; it does not reveal himself away; a more impressive the character he portrayed in "Iron Man".

Secondly, definitely the biggest surprise for me is Tom Cruise, who appears in a supporting role in this movie. I can not recognize that the boss of the movie company is Tom Cruise in the video conference(a part of movie). His shape is quite surprising; bald, fat guy, always says the F-word(I think he got two to three F-word in every sentence.) and funny dance.

Thirdly, this movie mocks something or someone about Hollywood, For example, at the beginning of the movie,there are three spot announcements, which Ben Stiller's part, his movie again and again, is likes when the movie was famous or well-known, this movie will keep going to again and again(like Rocky) And Jack Black's part mocks Eddie Murphy? In the movie, Robert also cites several examples, such as the Rain man of Dustin Hoffman and Forest Gump of Tom Hanks, to illustrate that whoever plays a wisdom of the subnormal before they become the Oscar winner. I think it is mock some of the Hollywood actors or actresses always overacting but they do not realize it.

Perhaps, I do not fully understand some of the American humor, so Tropic Thunder is not as funny for me as it might be for an American person. On the whole, Tropic Thunder is only partially wonderful.

Teacher's note: I asked for one aspect of Tropic Thunder; you offer three, so I guess I have to give you 300 points for this job. Actually there are some well taken points here. I especially noted Robert Downey Jr.s 'full retard' speech, for me one of the two most brilliant moments in the movie (Any questions?). Thanks for posting --mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com 8-)

Tropic Thunder is talking about a group of people making a movie about the Vietnam war,
but they are really encounter the real guerrilla. Over all, I have three of surprise in this movie.

Firstly, Robert Downey Jr., since "Iron Man", I really change the appearance of him. His black
styling is an important reason to attractive me, It is faultless, it does not reveal himself away;
more impressive the character who performances in "Iron Man".

Secondly, it is definitely the biggest surprise for me- Tom Cruise, who is a supporting role in this
movie. I can not differentiate the boss of movie company is Tom Cruise in the video conference
(a part of movie). His shape is quite surprising; bald, fat guy, always say the F-word(I think he
got two to three F-word in every sentence.) and funny dance.

Thirdly, this movie is mocks something or someone about Hollywood, For example, the beginning
of the movie,there are three spot announcements, which Ben Stiller's part, his movie again and
again, is likes when the movie was famous or well-known, this movie will keep going to again and
again(like Rocky). And Jack Black's part is mocks Eddie Murphy? In the movie, Robert also cites
several examples, such as Robert also cited several examples, such as the Rain man of Dustin
Hoffman and Forest Gump of Tom Hanks, to illustrate that who plays a wisdom of the subnormal
before they become the Oscar winner. I think it is mock some of the Hollywood actors or actresses
always overacting but they do not know.

Perhaps some of the American jokes I do not quite understand, so this movie does not expect so
funny for myself. On the whole, "Tropic Thunder" is only a partial wonderful.
Last edited by joe123 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joe123

Postby ki_eun_choi » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Tropic Thunder has amazing special makeup and acting. I keep think about makeup while I am watching it. I cannot recognize Tom Cruise because of his special makeup. Then someone has a broken arm, head and internal organs which looks quite real.

In my opinion, this movie is not an impressive story but it is funny and interesting because of special makeup and acting. That is an important aspect of the movie. I especially like the dancing scene of Tom Cruise. It creates a feeling of fun and pleasure because the scene about makeup and dancing is very ridiculous. Tom Cruise has passion for his acting, which is really passionate, so he sparkles. I must be admitted his acting and makeup. His acting is different depending on his character and makeup. I feel his passion and I will remember this.

Unfortunately, most of the time, I do not understand the story because there is so much dialogue. If I were able to understand more lines in the movie, it would be more interesting. But, even so, the movie is my pleasure.

Teacher's note: So you liked the Tom Cruise dancing?! Me too. I thought it was so cool with the right attitude. If you watch Tropic Thunder again in six months, you can measure how much your English has improved. Thank you for posting. --mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :shock:

This movie is amazing about special makeup and acting. I think about makeup while I'm watching it. I don't know who he is Tom Cruise because of his special makeup. Then someone has a broken arm, head and internal organs that it's like a real.

In my opinion, this movie isn't impressive story but it's a funny and interesting because of special makeup and acting. That's an important role in the movie.
I especially like dancing scene of Tom Cruise. It makes fun and pleasure. Because the scene about makeup and dancing is very ridiculous. He has passion for his acting. His acting is really passionate so he sparkles. I must be admitted his acting and makeup. His acting is different depending on his character and makeup. I feel his passion and I will remember his acting and makeup.

Unfortunately, I usually don't understand about the movie story because of too many lines. If I understand about too many lines in the movie, it's more interesting. But the movie is my pleasure.

Thank you.
Last edited by ki_eun_choi on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jennifer, Choi (Ki Eun, Choi)
ki_eun_choi

Postby Tung092 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Tropic Thunder is a very special movie about "movie's history", because it talks about the life of the making movies, yet it still has its story too. I have never seem something like Tropic Thunder before. It make us know more about how difficult it can be to make a movie, and it shows us this in a very funny way.

In the movie the director and cast are about to make a movie based on a novel about the war in Vietnam. It is funny in part because the actors do not know they are in a real battlefield, which means they are in real danger. Fortunately their movie action makes the terrorists temporarily not hurt them. That makes many laugh in the process. And finally they use their own power to escape from the heroin drug producers.

I like that movie,because its different from common movies and it make the actors change their style. I cannot recognize the "Iron Man" in that movie before I read the lesson, and it is still funny too. That is amazing. I hope one day there will be a movie even better than Tropic Thunder.

When the other guys on the team see Four Leaf Tayback's hands, they are scared, because his hands are supposed to have been lost during the real Vietnam War :lol:

Teacher's note: Thanks for a cool post. I would be careful for typos though. I like the way each of the guys on the team has a reaction to the hands, but at a different point during the movie. Good work. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :x

Tropic Thunder is a very special movie in the "movie's history", because it is talking about the life of the making movie, then, it still have its story too. I never seem something like that before Tropic Thunder, it make us know more about how difficult to make a movie and it is very funny.

In the movie they are going to make movie from novel about the war in Vietnam from novel but they don't know they are in the real battlefield and they still don't know they are in danger. Fortunately their movie action make the terrorists temporarily not hurt them. That make many laugh in the process. And finally they use their own power to escape.

I like that movie,because its different to common movies and it make the Actors change their style, i can't recognize the "Iron Man" in that movie before i read the paper, and it still funny too, that's amazing, i hope one day will have a movie better than it.

When people see his hands, they are scare, because he shouldn't have this :lol:
Image Author of the novel
Last edited by Tung092 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tung092

Postby kook » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:13 pm

At the beginning of Tropic Thunder, I felt embarrassed because I thought this would be a comedy movie, but it looked more like a war movie. Everywhere, blood bounces and guns shoot people. A hand is cut. I am thinking this is a horror movie, but I realize this is really a comedy. The reason, this movie is funny is because the action situations do not fit into a serious moment. I know I am watching this movie. The funny actions remain in my memory.

I think the purpose of this movie is to satirize, Hollywood movies in general. This seems to be a characteristic comedy movie, but the more I think about this movie, the more I can tell that it is a satire, that we laugh while watching the movie, but there is a serious movie inside the funny movie. The people for example, in one scene, land in the Laos jungle and joke about how the director has died because theyy do not think it is real. We laugh at the simple comedy movie, but this makes the movie circumstance we're look at in the scene as funny because the character in the movie does not recognize the reality of the movie industry. If I see this movie again, I can think more about what it is about.

Teacher's notes: The very first thing I notice is lack of punctuation, which I have been talking about again and again. Before submitting a paper for review, ALWAYS check it for punctuation, spelling, and grammar. Sorry to come down so hard, but at this point in time, the message should be clear. Now. . . let's read for content. . . As I read this essay, I notice many random grammar errors, as if the writer is simply guessing at the syntax. This writer will need to work hard to improve this.

On the good side, I love his ideas! It is brilliant that this writer recognizes that there is a serious story underneath the funny story on the surface. I hope you will keep writing and try to get better. Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com ;)

Tis is time watched comedy movie

the begin movie and i'm was embarrassed, i'm thought comedy movie but appearance war movie
everywhere bounce blood and Guns shoot people , hand is cut
I knew see horror movies but i'm realize this is comedy movie
The reason, this is movie funny over action,Situation does not fit into a serious ment. etc i knew
I'm watching this movie. Funny actions remain in memory

I think so far saw this is movie

but To think more satirize, Hollywood movie

the this is have characteristic comedy movie but the more think this movie, then can tell, a satire that
We are the laughed watched a movie, but serious movie the inside movie people
for example, movie in a scene, fall of the Laos jungle and joke director has died
our thought, and laught simple comedy movie but this is make movie circumstance
we're look at the scene as go laughing, does not recognize, the reality of the movie industry
this is saw movie again more think of the time
kook

TROPIC THUNDER

Postby Benjamin_kang » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:45 pm

The movie TROPIC THUNDER is a really funny movie. Many hollywood stars appear in this movie.The beginning of the movie is a comedy of the war in Vietnam. In the first scene a group of soldiers are fighting in Vietnam. When we see that they are actors, fighting in the middle of a war, there are explosives going off, a helicopter flying around and people dying. At the end of the scene, the director makes a big mistake when jet fighters drop napalm on the jungle, and the director fails to get the shot.

Later, five soldiers and the director walk in the jungle in Vietnam. Immediately after, the director dies when he steps on a mine. However, one of the actors thinks that the explosion is not real, and the director is not really dead. Then the real war begins.

Teacher's note: Whew, I really had to fill in the details on this one as the writer can see, starting with format. The overall editing is pretty good, and I like the writers ideas. I do wonder what his opinion is though. There is not much opinion here. Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :oops:

The movie of TROPIC THUNDER is really funny movie. Many hollywood stars

appear in a movie.The beginning of the movie is about comedy of the war

in Vietnam.

first, in this movie starting scene is they are fighting in Vietnam.

When actors in the middle of a war fighting, explosives went off,

the helicopter started flying and people die. Finally, director has mistake and

spend all of the cost.

then, they are going to forest in Vietnam. Immediately the director died

in the bomb hit. but they think that's not real to died for director.Suddenly,

they really start their war.

Tropic Thunder is a 2008 American action satire comedy film written,

produced, and directed by Ben Stiller, and starring Stiller, Robert Downey,

Jr., and Jack Black. The main plot revolves around a group of prima donna

actors who are making a Vietnam War film. When their frustrated writer

and director decide to drop them in the middle of a jungle, they are forced to rely

on their acting skills in order to survive the real action and danger.
Benjamin_kang

Postby Jane714 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:39 pm

Tropic Thunder is a really funny movie. The whole thing is filled with stories, false show and and actors laughing at themselves, quite interesting and funny. I would like to share three opinions.

Firstly, few stars in Hollywood are willing to laugh at themselves and see the reality of movies like in this movie. Jack Black plays a drug addict, with an inferiority complex, I think he is funny, and the audience can laugh at his fat body. In addition, the movie also shows the irony of Hollywood films, things such as extravagance and waste, write about decided to HD and BD. In Tropic Thunder, it is not about who can win, but who can play the game.

Secondly, the producer is also a tyrant and the object of hatred by the actors. Downey who appears in the film in a blackface, portraying a white actor playing a black action hero, also starred in the summer's first chart-topping movie, Marvel Studios "Iron Man."

Thirdly, Downey, Stiller and Black star as self-absorbed Hollywood actors caught up in a real-life battle with narco-terrorists while filming a war movie in Southeast . Asia. The film was directed, co-written and co-produced by Stiller.

It is really good for us to enjoy it.

Teacher's note: Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. As I was reading along, I noticed that much of the content is in the form of summary, not opinion. I would like to have read more of your opinion in each of the three points. For example, did you like Downey as a black man, or did you find that this might appear offensive to some? Good work.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :lol:

This movie is really funny, The whole movie filled with stories, false show and laugh at themselves, quite interesting and laughter.

Firstly, A few stars in Hollywood's revealed to laugh at themselves and make movies are more real.
Jack black a drugn addict, inferiority, I think his funny from the audience laughed at his fat body, In addition, the movie also the irony of Hollywood films,
extravagance and waste, write about decided to HD and BD who can win is not a movie, but the game.

Secondly,Producer is also a tyrant, also is the object of hatred, actors.Downey who appears in the film in blackface, portraying a white actor playing a black action hero, also starred in the summer's first chart-topping movie, Marvel Studios "Iron Man."

Thirdly.Downey, Stiller and Black star as self-absorbed Hollywood actors caught up in a real-life battle with narco-terrorists while filming a war movie in Southeast . Asia. The film was directed, co-written and co-produced by Stiller.

It is really good for us to enjoy in it.
Jane714

Postby suetkwan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Firstly, Tropic Thunder is a story about Rookie director, Damien Cockburn, and how he cannot control his actors during the filming of a war movie, and the shooting schedule is one month behind. Damien orders all filming back on track. He arranges his actors to have guns and bring a map. Before they can leave the jungle, they must passing the test of getting the shots to finish the film.

Secondly, the most profound aspect of Tropic Thunder is the special mode of shooting the bloody scenes. The movie uese hidden cameras to get the shots; it makes the actors more true to life and shows nature to the audience. Then, each bloody scene makes me feel dirty and makes me laugh because the actors take a visceral and intellectual. Reality is difficult to create in a movie, but in Tropic Thunder, the actors are visceral and intellectual, acting very funny and dirty.

Finally, I think this movie is very interesting because the dialogue is very funny. Also the movie shows me that war is terrible and dangerous, so I think we are need keep a peaceful world.

Teacher's note: Some very warm views expressed here. In making edits, I hope I didn't accidently change your ideas. (Let me know if I did.) Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :roll:

Firstly, this movie is description Rookie director Damien Cockburn is can
suetkwan

Postby Queena » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:13 pm

Tropic Thunder is a famous comedy which stars Ben Stiller. It was conspiracy plotted, in an action comedy. It is about a film production in southeast Asia filming an expensive movie about a heroic battle which happened in the Vietnam war. Stiller plays Tugg Speedman, a patrol sergeant in the film, but Speedman himself is a ghost of the action star he once was. In order to save his declining career, he decides to work on the so-called "most expensive movie on the history of Vietnam War". Also joining the cast is Jack Black, comedy star. His specialty is in a film where acts as a DuoGe role.

As for the little, Robert Downey alone in the film won an Oscar acting pie with, in order to make in the big stars in role, he even disguises himself as a "negro". This one of the casting a mighty into southeast Asia dense jungle was going to shoot more crazy, but the war of live ammunition in the cast and a few actors have to rely on their own once joined the navy of the experience, training new barracks pertains to become the soldiers......

3 points 16 seconds movie sounds of music, low T Pain. Very rhythm :geek: :geek: :geek: . Tom cruise a slow dance tune. His whole film skip over two time, is a tune .Hi. ;) ;) ;)

Teacher's note: I'm having some difficulty getting past the non-English syntax in this one. There is some terrific vocabulary, and it looks like you had a lot of fun writing this. I think we'll need to get down some basics of how English words and grammar fit together, because I read some REALLY cool stuff here! I wanna know what we're saying. Thanks a bunch for posting. --mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :D

"Tropic thunder" is a famous comedy stars Ben was conspiracy plotted, in an action comedy, is about a film production in southeast Asia filming a expensive for big occurs when the

Vietnam war film of the story.

Ben was in the film, played a some ghost action star, in order to maintain save more

The decline of career, he decided to works in a so-called "is the most expensive in history of Vietnam war" of the movie. Also joining the and jack black comedy star, he played the

specialty is in a film can also act as a DuoGe role. As for the little Robert downey alone in the film became a won an Oscar acting pie with, in order to make in the big stars in role,

he even at disguised himself as a "negro". This one of the casting a mighty into southeast Asia dense forest was going to shoot more crazy, but the war of live ammunition in the cast

and a few actors have to rely on their own once joined the navy of the experience, training new barracks pertains to become the soldiers......

3 points 16 seconds movie sounds of music, low T Pain. Very rhythm :geek: :geek: :geek: . Tom cruise a slow dance of the tune. His whole film skip over two time, is a tune .
Queena

Postby Daniel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:35 pm

In my opinion, I do not think it is a good movie. Just super star. The movie it is vilify the Chinese,Vietnam speak Vietnamese, they do not speak chinese. I am a chinese but I can not understand their chinese. I also can not understand why the movie kill panda ,everyone know panda is Chinese national treasure. When the movie open, I know what happen. I can not watch the movie again.

Teacher's note: Thank you so much, Daniel, for this honest reaction. In fact many people here in America have had a similar reaction to Tropic Thunder. They say it is disrespectful to many people for many reasons. The 'Simple Jack' character is especially disrespectful according to groups which support the rights of those who are mentally challenged. I can see their point.

But here's the obvious question. Why would a group of intelligent and respected members of the Hollywood professional establishment be so eager to make this film? There must be a deeper point to the story, an important message that needs to be communicated. Or maybe they just think sick humor is funny. I don't know what they were thinking, but it's interesting how people react to Tropic Thunder.

Thanks again for your comment. --mike :arrow: http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :|
Daniel

Next

Return to Movie Reports