[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - AMERICAN BEAUTY

AMERICAN BEAUTY

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: AMERICAN BEAUTY

Postby Jane714 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:37 pm

In my opinion,American Beauty is a reflection of American life, which seems to be perfect but, the truth is ---- it's full of social problems: mid-age crisis, teenagers, family emotionlessness, drug, homosexuality. There are two main ideas in this movie. One is the ironic real society and another is BEAUTY.

The story described a "weird" joyless American middle-class family and the death of Lester Burnham.

Lester Burnham, who is in his middle age live a boring life. he doesn't have a "successful" job, doesn't have passion for life and doesn't even have good relationship with his wife Carolyn and his daughter Jane. In a way he's dead already.
Carolyn, a women desires to be successful but always fails in her career, acts strong but inside weak. She's just some money-grabbing freak, as many people are. "In order to be successful, one must project an image of success at all times." is what she believed, which in fact destroyed her whole life.
Their 17 year old daughter Jane is a typical teenager, angry, insecure, confused. She has no confidence in herself, always thinks she's not pretty. and she has cold relationshop with her family.
Jane's friend, Angela, is a kid with flashy appreance. "there's nothing worse in life than being ordinary" is her twisted values. she is proud and refuses to be ordinary but this cant cover her ordinary mind.

Jane's nextdoor neighboor, Ricky fall in love with Jane. He always use DV to record some strange things----in his eyes they're beautiful. Ricky makes money through dealing drugs.
Ricky's father, an extremely strict old man who hates homosexuality to death, hides the truth that he himself is a gay.

We can feel that the conversations between these people is full of meaning, words are selected and emotions are real to life. Every character is so typical that we can actually realize such people do exist around us. maybe we're just one of them. Due to their personalities, the tragic story happened.

Who in reality have the guts to change their everyday life? Who would give themselves a new try? Who dare to challenge what most people against? Few people do i believe. Maybe that's the reason why Lester Burnham is written dead in the end. There's no such hero in our reality.
American Beauty not only shows an ironic reflection of "American dream"'s life but also tells us that there's beauty everywhere. That's one of the reasons i love this movie.

There's one scene that Ricky shows Jane a 15 minutes short movie he shoot. It was just a plastic bag floating in the sky, flying as the wind blowing. But in Ricky's eyes ----

" this bag was, like, dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. And that's the day I knew there was this entire life behind things, and... this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid, ever. Video's a poor excuse, I know. But it helps me remember... and I need to remember... Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in."
As Ricky saying these words, a light blue melody flows out slowly. His eyes are clear and shiny like there're some tears in them. So beautiful.

The end of movie is the most touching part. Lester finally find out the most important in his life is his daughter, his family. He gently held the photo of his happy family, stared at the three people on it, whispered to himself and sunk into the memory of the past with a smile on his wrinkle face. At this time, GUNSHOT! Lester fell down in blood. Surprisingly, we don't see dead people's scary face but a tender face, still, smiling... now he must be in his happiest moment.

Lester discovered the beauty of his life and left this world with gratitude. What I'm thinking is either a sensitive person like Ricky or a miserable guy play a small role in life like Lester can have a sense of beauty. Not only them, but anyone who is grateful for their life all have it. We need to feel the beauty around us in this cold society, which is actually full of beauty, not coldness. Someday, you will understand.

Teacher's note: Amazing summary, but who will the police arrest? Did I miss something? Thanks for posting --mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com 8-)
Jane714

Postby suetkwan » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Who will the police blame for the murder?

In my opinion, first I think Ricky Fitts is very suspicious, because he has a lot of money in the house, and then,

he very like shooting video about Lester Burnham, also he is drug trafficking and he often with Lester Burnham Contact.

Second he promised he will kill Lester Burnham. After he recommend Lester Burnham daughter with he go to other place,

everything Support evidence let me think he is murder, but i think has other possibility is Ricky Fitts father, because he love Lester Burnham,

but Lester Burnham don't love he, so, he will kill him.

Finally, i think Lester Burnham just began change his life, but died, let me know we need live in the moment.

Thank you!

Teacher's note: Colonel Fitts (I think) Good all-around logic, but I think a conclusion is needed. thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com ;)
suetkwan

Postby Queena » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Lester Burnham is a normal person , he has a perfect family and his wife are very capable , she has a real estate company is belong to herself . His family is not like outsiders see so happy .
The fact is Ricky's father murder Lester Burnham. He cannot bear to see people basically has two, one is his son, the other is leicester. At first, he and his son play up, then his son only away from home. And leicester are thought to bring down his son is the one, and be his neighbor to the shot. in fact not because Lester with bad his son, but because he is a gay , and Ricky's father always thinking about Ricky because when he saw Ricky in Lester Burnham's house do something blue , but there is nothing happen. Ricky's father also killed Lester Burnham in the end .
The film seems to explain, beauty is free, to break the imprisoned thought, is the soul of freedom. It seems, the real "American beauty" and is a coveted from. We can only fantasy woke up in a dream.

Teacher's note: Good logic. A little hard to follow the syntax. Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :twisted:
Queena

Postby Daniel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi , I am Daniel .

Who will the police blame for the murder? In this movie, we have two suspects. They are Ricky
Daniel

Postby Brandon87 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:24 pm

ln my opinion Life is beautiful But someties life's so sad.

l think could doubt carolyn burnham and chris cooper two suspect

why did l have a choice because she cheated on Lester Burnham(Her husband)

also Lester Burnham has a fustation full of weakness live in the magazine staff

l have a anyother idea just my opinion carolyn burnham tried deal of chris cooper

the reason chris cooper have a one son. he's name Ricky Fitz Is an ordinary student

He is unique hobby. sometimes he has one's picture and video taken of Lester Burnham life

Not for long chris cooper found to looked about that l think chris cooper felt really Embarrassment

puls Confusion because he was job Soldier most people think about lmpulsive or tendencies..

Chris Cooper is never going to forgive his son. might murder of the motivation

l can say certainly the evidence. frist reason Chris Cooper has Gun seond reason movie last scene

he took clothes blood. Suddenly l wnat talking about In life man people get to same imagined Lester Burnham

l Can understand of him mind. Anyway I've got two suspicious also carolyn burnham have s one boyfriend but In fact

carolyn burnham loving Chris Cooper with relationship They could kill Lester Burnham Seems to me that the possibility

l think This film appear to our lives.this Story is my opinion..

I remember movie about~

Everything is beautiful in the world.

There are times when your heart might be too much.

As pop like a balloon blown. However, to calm the mind,

Once you realize that cling to abandon

Be modest about lived every moment of my life

Teacher's note: Colonel Fitts (I think). Here is another one where I'm not sure of the final conclusion. Pretty easy to read. Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :lol:
Brandon87

Postby Zacharyzhang » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:30 am

American Beauty is a reflection of American life, which seems to be perfect but, the truth is ---- it's full of social problems: mid-age crisis, teenagers, family emotionlessness, drug, homosexuality... There are two main ideas in this movie. One is the ironic real society and another is BEAUTY.
The story described a "weird" joyless American middle-class family and the death of Lester Burnham.The most improtant thing in this movie is when Lester saw Angela ,he's totally obsessed with her beauty at once. " I feel like I've been in a coma for the past twenty years. And I'm just now waking up. " He started to make a change and live like what he wants.But at last he was dead. That is exactly what black humor all about.
Who in reality have the guts to change their everyday life? Who would give themselves a new try? Who dare to challenge what most people against? Few people do i believe. Maybe that's the reason why Lester Burnham is written dead in the end. There's no such hero in our reality. American Beauty not only shows an ironic reflection of "American dream"'s life but also tells us that there's beauty everywhere.
Lester discovered the beauty of his life and left this world with gratitude. What I'm thinking is either a sensitive person like Ricky or a miserable guy play a small role in life like Lester can have a sense of beauty. Not only them, but anyone who is grateful for their life all have it. We need to feel the beauty around us in this cold society, which is actually full of beauty, not coldness. Someday, you will understand.

Teacher's note: Good summary, but did not answer the question. Who will the police arrest? Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :evil:
Zacharyzhang

Postby chloe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:38 am

In my opinion, there are two people blame for the murder Lester Burnham. Let
chloe

Postby Chaochen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:08 pm

hi here is chao
i'm so sorry for post late.
here is my opinion, I think lester "killed" himself, becasue he did a lot of strange things and Including his way of thinking.

the first thing is he always want to get some fun with angela

the second is he said his marriage is just a cover

the third is he didn't been a good father.

many things have proved that he is not a good person.

Based on those things he couldn't to do anything right things, Of course it is impossible to get good results, should be dead.

In chinese we call that "did bad things should be dead"

Teacher's note: Lester himself. And a strong argument. Maybe he deserved to die. Pay attention to grammar details. Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com ;)
Chaochen

Postby minsu0108 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm

After looking for her daughter's friend's life completely changes the character of Leicester.

Quit his boring job, work part-time fast-food restaurant

and fitness and take a drug

Turn to his life as fodder without liability to the husband

Watching him and his wife, Caroline felt the feelings of anger

Then Caroline owns a gun from his boyfriend

And accidentally killed her husband and then feel a sense of regret in tears

Teacher's note: (Carolyn) There are many problems here with both format and content. There are no periods (full stop) after sentences, capitol letters in the wrong places, illogical time shift, vocabulary. . . Whew. We need to really get on the English train if we're going to improve. Your grammar book is your best friend. Use it every day. Even so, I think there is a good effort here to write a summary. You cover the movie from beginning to end without using too many words. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :shock:
minsu0108

Postby annalikeyou » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:57 pm

Teacher's note: (daughter) I think this is the first post to blame Janie, and for good reason. This is an interesting perspective. In the original version of American Beauty, the murderer was not known, so we had to guess who did it along with the police. Be careful for GPS. Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :o
annalikeyou

Previous

Return to Movie Reports