[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - ADJUSTMENT BUREAU

ADJUSTMENT BUREAU

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: ADJUSTMENT BUREAU

Postby wongkayingkelly » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi Mike,

It's Kelly (Wong Ka Ying) here to share an opinion of
wongkayingkelly

Postby Yuko » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Mike.
I
Yuko

Postby Patsy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Hello, Mike! I am Patsy. (Deng Yingsi) =)

Wow!?The Adjustment Bureau?What an amazing movie!!!

As this movie shows that, David and Elise fall in love with each other, but the executor try to keep them away from each other. They told David if he and Elise are still together, they will destroy their future. However, David is not afraid to any higher power. He knows he loves Elise, and Elise also loves him. Therefore, he knows courage can beat fear, and love can conquer everything.

In my opinion, their own destiny is in the hands of their own hands. They love each other; they want to be together forever, so they supposed to be together. Don
Patsy

Postby Whitelovev18 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Hello, mike ~I'm SeungYeol Baek.

I loved that movie. And I thought about the movie.

Indeed, Is our destiny chosen by a higher power? My answer is "NO" .

In my opinion,The destiny is broadly defined as everything that happens to a person during his or her life. Using the definition, we can

rephrase the question? are we responsible for everything that happens in our lives? Or does some mysterious power decide our lives? In my opinion, we decide

our destiny because, at every single moment, we choose which option or situation to take, and such decision acts like a building block that constitutes the

whole picture of our lives and our destiny. Since our choices play a major role in directing our destiny and we are responsible for our decisions.

Therefore, The God or some invisible power cann't control our destiny.

Teacher's Note: Good logic, but I sometimes wonder how much of my destiny is really chosen by me. Much of it happened by chance, but who creates chance? Who creates good /bad luck? Are we partly or wholly responsible for luck and chance? Is it really chance or a higher power?

The syntax in this essay is pretty good. Good GPS. thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com ;)
Last edited by Whitelovev18 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whitelovev18

Postby Evan Huang » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:24 am

Hi Mike!
I am Haojun Huang(Evan) from your IE1 class.
After I saw The Adjustment Bureau, I was thinking who choose our destiny. It is chosen by a higher power or us. Maybe there are some higher powers over there, they planed our life, and they make sure everything according their plan. However, after I saw this movie I recognize we all have our own life, we shouldn
Evan Huang

Postby kook » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:54 am

Hi MIKE i'm KOOK

In my opinion we have a choose, ours destiny

You only live once !!. so my opinion while we live choose a destiny and then make it through a rough time

I think... destiny is make myself.

Of course, sometime you be beyond one
kook

Postby 1413455 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Dear Mike, this is TaeHwan Jung. :mrgreen:

I think behind the charming romance, there is a philosophical question of free will versus pre-destination.

It is something that everyone ponders upon at one point in their life.

As for me, I grew up in Korea, where shamanism is widely popular amongst people.

They believe in past life and that one has certain paths that is predestined at birth.

There are philosophers who interpret one's so-called fate by studying one's name, birthdays, and faces.

It is quite an interesting study because even some Americans believe that "one grows into his or her name."

I always wondered about this deeply rooted culture in Korea. I do want to believe that one makes his or her own path, facing consequences of one's decisions.

In the film, the "Adjustment Bureau" is a group of people that control the reality - they are like universal policemen - who are to make sure

people's life does not deviate from the plan. David's accidental meeting with Elise, was certainly not planned. However, I suppose their chemistry beat fate.

The chemistry between the main couple was decent also, which I think saved the tad bit draggy feeling in the latter half of the movie. :D

I am not a huge fan of chick-flicky romantic films, however, I liked the added sci-fi-ness and a philosophical aspect.

I would recommend this film to other people.

Teacher's Note: This is a super well-written essay. Hmm . . .
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :oops:

Postby yakinikuyason » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi Mike! I'm Ryutaro!

ADJUSTMENT BUREAU was a very interesting movie I had ever seen.This movie is fundamentally different from other usual Science Fiction movies! Usual SF films are only action or fantasy. But it has manifest purposes to express every audiences.So we can thinking about what do this movie want to express us while wathing it. This movie suggested us like this question "Do you believe our fate is controlled by a higher power?or do we choice our destiny? Of corse I answer "we choice our destiny !"And then David Norris chose the latter! I think so. we choose the destiny by ourselves , not controlled!If I destined to be marry someone , it is decided by a higher power I confront them as David Norris did.
He said "I never give up her " in this movie. So it is important not to give up if we face serious situation like that!! And surely we can change our destiny by ourselves even in the serious situation.never give up ,keep fighting

I don't know the truth but I think maybe they are existence in our real world and manipulate our destiny without our knowing it. We can't notice! That is a Adjustment;small change

Teacher's Note: I think you covered both sides of the argument quite well. What about the possibility of chance? Focus on grammar details. Thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :o
yakinikuyason

Postby psteven » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Mike
I am Justin (Bong Kul Park)

I like movies with themes that are special. So i wacthed the movie unblinkingly
it's a movie about passion which is overcoming with control of a human's destiny
In my opinion, we can make our destiny it's not destiny chosen by a higher power.
If the destiny was decided, we don't need to do anything for future,
His passion for love continued throughout the election season.
I strongly respect his brave. At first, his love for her seems hopeless.
but he against the control of a human's destiny. Finally he wins and he gets to her.
I was impressed that David Norris speach "I can go through this door alone. You will
never see me or the people chasing us again.Or you can come with me, I don't know what's
on the other side, but i would know you would be next to me. and That's all i wanted since the minute
i met you"

If at first you don't succeed, you have to try again.
I think that someone is doing something with passion, someone can do it.

I think that we have a choose right, So we can choose our destiny. It's up to you

Teacher's Note: Very good logic and some advanced sentence structure. Nice work. Glad you enjoyed ADJUSTMENT BUREAU, and thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :mrgreen:
psteven

Postby pjm4381 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi, Mike. :)
This is Jerilynn or Jinmin Paeng.
To begin with, I had never seen that movie's genre before; it includes S.F also romance. When I watched 'The adjustment Bureau', I felt mysterious emotion. This film leads to a lot of thought. For instance, the power of love is great and it makes me wonder[ed] about who sets our destiny.

Focused on this film, it is the point; do we choose our destiny? or our destiny chosen by a higher power? I have been thinking in many ways, this could be right that our destiny chosen by ourself Sometimes we live under the control. but, consequently, many people can live and make our life on our will.

David and Elise were going to be a famous politician and dancer. However, since they met casually and fell in love, their dreams could not be achieved. That is all the plots to certain control group. Their love interferes with controller. Although there is a lot of movies, cartoons, novels that people are controlled by certain groups like this movie's contents, it seems to be more unique than other movies. Certain group in this movie controls human world, that means not dominate whole world. they leads to people go to correct directions like an angel

In any reason, I think that forced to change the others fate is bad thing. We always strive to be ahead of others. I do believe there is a destiny, but destiny is an effort. Everything is up for the our effort. Maybe if there is a controller in our present life, furthermore, they are help to people go to best way like this movie, that is not bad. In conclusion, there is no controller in reallity. Our own life depends on our choice.

Teacher's Note: OK but what about chance? Many cool ideas here. A little difficult to follow because of the syntax. Overall, a good essay. Thanks for posting. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com 8-)
pjm4381

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Reports