[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
MoviesGrowEnglish.com • View topic - RAIN MAN

RAIN MAN

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

RAIN MAN

Postby maikuu » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 am

:) :cry: :mrgreen: :shock: 8-)
maikuu
Site Admin

Re: RAIN MAN

Postby Salim.el » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi everyone ,

First,letting a disabled person [live] without any surveillance is certainly not a good thing to do ,the [do. The] disabled person can have an outburst reaction or something even more dangerous for him and his entourage . Nevertheless, Charlie ,is [Charlie, is] his brother and he just discovered it after a bunch of years , wanting [years. Wanting] to stay with his brother is completely comprehensible ,but the only way that Raymond could stay with Charlie is that a [an] external professional helps comes [two verbs?] to him in case he have [has] a health problem and so on .
In addition , if I was Dr. Bruner I would allow raymond [Raymond] to live with Charlie only if Charlie takes some nursing courses or whatever he needs to take good care of his brother in case of a health problem. :)

-Salim EL ARJA

Teachers notes: Thanks for posting a well-developed opinion piece, a mini-thesis, if you will. I went through and made a few edits. They appear to be the kinds of oopses that proofreading catches. It's highly advised to proof for GPS before letting go of your baby. Overall, well done.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :roll:
Salim.el

Postby Edouard » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Hello =)

At the beginning of the movie, the character Charlie (played by Tom Cruise) seems to be a selfish man, only attracted by money and glory.
His first contact with Raymond is motivated by the inheritance. But, across the movie [as the movie progresses], we surprisingly discover that Charlie become emotionally attached to his brother, and that he really takes care about [of] him. Nerveless, the movie shows us that Raymond has got some serious troubles, and I think that he needs to be in a medical institute [institution]. Maybe the best solution is that he comes to an institution closed to his brother's, so Charly could [can] visit him during the weeks and take care of him during the whole week-end[,] for example.
It seems obvious that Charly and Raymond have to keep contact.

I really enjoyed this movie[,] by the way[.]

Teachers notes: Here, the effective use of transition words reduces a full-blown essay into an effective mini-essay. In this opinion piece, paying attention to word choice (sometimes called diction) is recommended. Big thanks for posting.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :twisted:
Edouard

Postby yumiota » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:15 am

If I were Dr. Bruner I would permit [Raymond and Charlie] to live together. Because, [together because] Raymond loves Charlie and they had been building their relationship throw [through] this movie. At the beginning of this movies, Charlie’s attitude was very awful to Raymond that it looks [looked as if] Raymond was an avenue to get his inheritance. As the film proceeds, two harts [hearts] became closely [closer], It seems [The brothers seem] to respect each other even [though] Raymond is under a hard condition. From technical side, Raymond should stay at the nursing home with professional cares. On the other side, from my feeling, I would like to them live together for his tranquilization. It helps [would help] him a lot.
To stay [at] Charlie’s home with Raymond and his nurse that Raymond was given an huge inheritance is the best solution, I think.

Teacher's note: I really admire how this essay weaves opinion and story telling together. There are a few corrections mostly having to do with word choice. Also, this author is advised to be consistent with time. Overall, I love this essay. Thanks for posting!
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com
yumiota

Postby whygub » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:28 am

Hello, :)
If I were Dr.Bruner, I would definitely not let Raymond live at home with Charlie. As the audience, I do understand that the main reason Dr.Bruner disagree[s] with Charlie is because he understands the brothers’ condition and situation. Raymond needs a special care at an appropriate place, which is the institution he has lived [at] for years, and Charlie doesn’t seem to be perfectly ready to deal with his unpredictable autistic brother, so what Dr.Bruner does is the best for everybody. However, from my oppinion, Raymond going back with Dr.Bruner at the ending of the movie is not the seperation of the 2 brothers, but it’s the start of the family’s gethering, after learning and accepting each other as family during the roadtrip. So, in the position of Dr.Bruner, I will [would] ask Charlie to come to visit Raymond and prove that he can take good care of his autistic brother, it [brother. It] may take time, but after that I will [would] let the 2 brothers live together.

WhY Chanida :o :shock:

Teacher's note: This mini-thesis starts off with a clear statement of opinion and builds from there with compelling supporting details. What's not to love? The overall syntax is pretty darn good too. Thanks, WhY (no typo intended) for an excellent job.
--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :P
whygub

Postby Tactics » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:47 am

Hi,

If I were Dr. Bruner, I would let Raymond stay with Charlie. It is sure [clear] that at the beginning, Charlie seemed to be not [a] responsible man, be interested in only money, and [worse, he was] pay[ing] little attention to Raymond. However, as he spent time with Raymond longer, gradually he has been [became] concernend about his brother. On top of that, family should be together. Now that Charlie worries about Raymond, who on earth is allowed to tear them apart? It is [a] pity that family cannot stay with their family [that family members cannot stay together]. That is the worst thing in the world. Nobody should make such [a] thing happen.

Takuto

Teacher's note: This essay argues on the side of family over professional care. I really appreciate the passion for this opinion that is expressed here. Big thanks for posting!
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :shock:
Tactics

Postby omarnafisi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:36 pm

In my opinion, Dr. Burner should have let Raymond live with Charlie under professional supervision because, after the week Charlie spent with Raymond his concerns for the situation turned from what was money and greed into love, affection and a genuine brotherly connection that he wanted to keep and nurture. That being said, if Raymond lives with Charlie not only will their emotional bond will grow [bond grow] stronger, but also they will understand each other better. On the other hand, precautionary measures should be taken; Raymond being autistic makes him a threat to himself and others around him. So, that makes both sides right, but, human affection between two brothers is more important than medical ‘treatment’.

- Omar Alnafisi

Teacher's note: Besides developing a convincing argument which takes a clear point of view while allowing for some measure of the opposite perspective, this essayist demonstrates a sophisticated level of sentence structure and use. There are perfect modals, parrallel connectors, and transition phrases, to name a few examples. My thanks to this author for a fine demonstration of academic writing.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowenglish.com 8-)
omarnafisi

Postby fal1986 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Dr.Bruner should let ray live with charlie because he is his only brother and the only family member left for charlie,also i feel that they somehow complete each other.charlie [other. Charlie] is not a bad person he is going to take care of ray [Ray] as well as it should be. I cannot emagine [imagine] ray living on his own or at wallbrook,he needs to go out and use his god given talent.Besides,charlie's greed for money is not something bad,everyone wants more money that's human nature,but the good thing is that they can use ray's talent and charlie's swift smartness to benifit [sp] together. A love bond has developed between them,so i don't think that charlie will cheat on ray.

Teacher's notes: Thanks for a well-developed mini-essay. What I like is the purity of intent in this opinion piece. The author takes a focused point of view weighing in on one side of the argument and not the other. Nice job. n.b. Please check for GPS.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :mrgreen:
fal1986

Postby Claire » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:56 pm

If I were Dr. Bruner, I would let Raymond live at home with Charlie.
Because both Raymond and Charlie has changed a lot after they met each other, and that is a great transition for them!
Since they are family, they have emotional connection naturally. In addition, as they get along with each other more often, Raymond can inspires Charlie’s bright side, and let him understand that there are many things which are more important than wealth.
On the other side, the relationship between Raymond and his brother is beneficial for his disease. I think it is a better way to treat those who like Raymond with family’s love, respect and patience.

Claire
Claire

Return to Movie Reports