BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE

http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com would like to hear about movies that make great ESL/EFL lessons, movies that are entertaining and language-rich, movies that takes us to another time, another place, another lifestyle.

Re: BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE

Postby whygub » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 am

Hi mates, :lol:

From Bowling for Columbine, there are a few things that surprise me and I feel both good and bad at the same time about those things but to avoid writing a long essay, I will talk about one thing.
I found that Americans have “Fear.” You are supposed to be safe in this country because you have the best military, you have well-trained police like S.W.A.T and FBI; according to the media America presents its country in movies and in TV series like CSI. America is supposed to have the most reliable officials since you are undeniable the most powerful country which has big influence toward the world or you can say that it’s obviously seen America is trying to rule the world. But you are still scared of many things. It seems like you have to trust yourself living in this country. And from that, you are the only person that can protect yourself. To me, the reason a person needs a gun because he wants to protect himself, and that is because he’s scared. I believe that if you think that the place you live in is 100% safe, neighbors are nice, nothing can harm you, then you won’t feel scare. But once your neighbors have guns, you have a feeling they are scary and you will need a gun too because you don’t trust your neighbors.

This situation makes me feel good because America is just like my country and other countries, you are not perfect. I don’t envy you anymore as I used to be because the media shown in my country is bias as it presents only the good side of America. But then I feel scared too, because if I can’t trust America, the place I live in right now, I have to trust and protect myself. But I am just a foreigner, I don’t know much about American laws, I don’t know how to distinguish bad people; I even talked to a mad man before, am I capable to protect myself and live happily here? This might be the time to start and learn carefully about American society in depth.

For the bonus question, I am not sure how many hats he wears in the movie, but I am sure he has ONE head to wear those hats. Do I get any bonus points?? 
Hope you find my joke funny. Hahaha

Chanida AKA WhY~ :geek: :ugeek: 8-)

Teacher's Note: In reading this essay, I felt that the author was speaking to me directly. Please allow me to point out that there are many of us in America, perhaps most of us, who do not feel compelled to own guns, who trust our officials at least enough to feel safe most of the time, who realize that no system is perfect, and that we as Americans should strive to make ours better.

Yes, I hope that while this author is here, she will take the opportunity to learn about America firsthand, and that her experience will be mostly positive. This country, with all its imperfections, has much to offer.

May I suggest the following: Rent a car for a long weekend with some friends, each one from a different country. Find Highway 1, and drive up the coast to San Francisco. Then tell me what happened. Happy travels, mate, and big thanks for posting. Oh yes, you are correct about Michael Moore having one head. (one million bonus points :mrgreen: )

--mike :arrow:http://www.MoviesGrowEnglish. :?
whygub

Postby xxxxllllxxxx » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:03 am

hi guys ;)

That was my 5th time to see this movie.
When I was in jounior highschool.

Actually, I really like this movie because of director's humore [humor] and strong massage [message].
As you know, this movie was derected more than 6 years [ago], but this massage can be used in now.
Gun control is one of the most important ploblems in the US, dese days.

Sometime he behave as if he is like a kid, but he has strong intentions.
I think he use this way to decrese the violental image and make ironiy.

Teacher's Note: I bet Michael Moore would be pleased to hear that his film is being watched by young persons in other countries. I respectfully suggest making careful note of GPS (Grammar, Punctuation, Spelling) before hitting the POST/EDIT button. Big thanks!
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish. ;)
xxxxllllxxxx

Postby Boonchai » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:05 pm

The most thing that surprised me was statistic about the most people who was kill by guns is in the United state of America.
People who died because of guns are more than ten thousand person. This statistic was surprised me since i though America is safe country, but this fact show that some countries is safer than the U.S.. In my opinion, If the government control law about guns more than this, people will die because of guns less than now. Also, the government should teach people who using guns to respect and be careful their guns because it will decrease death gun statistic.

Teacher's Note: Yes it is a shocking statistic indeed. But of course, the issue is far more complicated that one number. For example, most people are shot by people they know, not by strangers. The police take illegal gun possession and use pretty seriously here. Far more people die from smoking and traffic accidents. But this doesn't excuse gun violence. Like you say, we need more education and fewer guns. Thanks for weighing in. --mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :twisted:
Boonchai

Postby hmody » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:40 am

What surprised you the most about Bowling for Columbine?
Despite my closeness of [to] American culture with reading a lot about them [it], but the information which I found it in [found in] this movie shocked me and changed a lot of my thoughts about many things inside the state.
I think the most scene shocked me once I heard about the two young men who killed dozens of people.
In fact the whole movie surprised me till I thought this is kind of Killer's land :mrgreen:

Teacher's Note: Thanks to this author for posting his thoughts about Bowling for Columbine. There are syntax issues, a few of which are noted above. So I'm a little unclear on the meaning. I hope this author understands that the content of this movie is selected and controlled by its director. It shows a biased vision of America that is in no way complete and balanced.
--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :shock:
hmody

Postby Edouard » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:07 pm

Hello, sorry for my late answer.

a) What surprised you the most about Bowling for Columbine?
One of the most impressive scene was when Michael Moore went to the bank to open the "account with a free riffle gift".
Then he is in the bank with the weapon asking at the employee : "So now I could rob the bank if I want to" and the employee just laugh.

b) How is Michael Moore able to control the argument in this documentary format?
Michael can choose to only show some controversy controversial] scenes and to do not show the normal ones. As the film director, he is totally master of the movie point of view. This is one of the major problems about the documentaries ; just a little [few] of them are really with a neutral point of view.

c) According to Bowling for Columbine, how does the media affect violence/fear/consumption?
According to Bowling for Columbine, the mass media affect the way of thinking of the people. The young children who are used to watch war movies and play violent video-games may become violent too, because of the trialization of the violence.

Teacher's Note: I'd like to comment on response b) above. I think you are exactly correct in pointing out that Michael Moore has complete selectivity in what he chooses to edit in or out of Bowling for Columbine. Many people have watched it without this thought ever crossing their mind. If you read through the comments by other students on this topic, you may notice that this important point has often been overlooked. I've noted the same reaction to Bowling for Columbine from some of the students at Santa Monica College as well.

In a way, watching Bowling for Columbine is a kind of test of awareness and perspective. Is the movie truthful? I'd say yes. Does it address a big problem in America? Definitely yes. Does it tell the whole story of how Americans think and live? Not even close by a country mile. There is so much more to the story, and the more you understand, the more clear your perspective will become. Thanks for an insightful post!

--mike :arrow:www.MoviesGrowEnglish.com :ugeek:
Edouard

Postby Salim.el » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Hello !

One of the most impressive scene was when Michael Moore showed us the columbine raid... :shock: ; it was so intense I remember closing my eyes because it was so chocking!

b) How is Michael Moore able to control the argument in this documentary format?
Moore is his own producer, director, writer. Therefore, he has a certain liberty concerning the way he make his movies, they are very subjective, and it works great. Because instead of the cliche neutral documentary, his documentaries are supported by strong point of views.

c) According to Bowling for Columbine, how does the media affect violence/fear/consumption?

According to Bowling for Columbine, the mass media affect the way of thinking of the people. Hence, Michael shows us that it is way easier to manipulate credulous people. He shows us that dumb people are usually the easiest the manipulate, which makes them the more violent and sensible to the media.
Salim.el

Postby kyou90 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi.

I'm sorry it's too late to reply for this movie. Well, first I'm little bit shocked as I'm watching like this every time. Because it is impossible for individuals to have guns in Korea at all, the news about shooting murder cases is making me scared. I'm strongly supporting that guns shouldn't be available for citizens. That people who are opposite of me say they have to protect themselves with guns is ridiculous.
kyou90

Postby Gangnamstyle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 am

When I saw this movie's name first, I couldn't understand and realize what this movie is about, but after watching it, I realized what it is about, which is interesting.
In South Korea, there is no possibilities to get a gun, if people are not soldiers. Because of that, actually, I cannot understand the situation in the U.S. that people can have a gun very easily.
When I saw that people can get a gun even in a bank, I was so astonished.
I became to have a doubt that is this ok to live in America quite seriously.
This movie gives us a quite great topic to discuss about having a gun. I totally disagree with having a gun easily and legally.

Thanks Michael for giving an controversial movie! It was great to watch.

Inho Park
Gangnamstyle

Postby Metallica » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Well this movie is really opened such a big topic to talk about. What surprised the most is how a country like The U.S cannot control a huge problem like that. As we see in the movie how the actor goes to the bank and gets a FREE gun, that was funny and sad in the same time. How this bank encourages people to have guns. After watching this movie I made a little search about this problem and I found out that 35 people get murder by guns every day in the U.S while the same number get murdered by guns every year in the U.K. Having guns should not be easy any wear in the world. We want to live in a peaceful world. When a teenager sees all this violent in movies an video games for sure that will effect his brine to murder others specially if getting a gun is piece of cake. Hopefully in the near future we will live in a peaceful world.

Aziz Alhalwan
Metallica

Previous

Return to Movie Reports